What are YOU listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space,
    Well, that "green" thing is vastly overrated, the quality of play on the "browns" of Scotland probably far exceeds the greens of other places. I say probably because I haven't had the pleasure yet, but have spoken to those who have. Esther? Opera seria? Hmmm... well, enjoy.

Amalie,
    Well, 500 miles actually is enough to make me stop and think, because it means stopping for fuel, thus requiring a plan! Hate that. No dear, those aren't mountains, merely large sand dunes. Windy there is it not? A "talking head" was interviewing Tiger Woods Saturday about the weather as opposed to 2 years ago in Muirfield, and Tiger said "this was no comparison at all, it didn't even snow". And he was serious. July! In any case, no, not Wagner, we are still content with Rossini. "Hi ho, Silver, away!" I see a common Handelian theme this morning!

For me, a lovely start to the week, the Sonata in D major for Piano & Violin - #1 - Op 12 #1 - El Maestro - Kremer/Argerich. Gonna be a great week, I can tell.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ligeti's 1st String Quartet--on authentic instruments.

Also some Rimsky-Korsakov (Cappriccio Espagnol), de Falla, and Granados.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
        Ligeti's 1st String Quartet--on authentic instruments.

Also some Rimsky-Korsakov (Cappriccio Espagnol), de Falla, and Granados.

Sorrano,
        Well, you puzzle me, since Ligeti is contempory! I am gaining a real appreciation for Rimsky-Korsakov here lately. I like that Capriccio.

For me, it is the Concerto in D major for Horn, 2 Oboes and String Orchestra - Hob 7d:3 - Like the Ligeti, it is on authentic instruments . L'Archibudelli. Splendid!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

btw.peter..Is it just me or is the op.90 sonata technically less demanding then most of the other period works and piano works in general..

I'm afraid you will have to wait a few days for your answer, Ruudp, Peter has been away all this week but will return on Wed.!

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

For me it's Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 23, an historical performance by Artur Rubinstein, piano and

Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D BWV 1068
            by Johann Bach conducted by William Malloch
            and the Boston Early Music Soloists. Love it!!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              I'm afraid you will have to wait a few days for your answer, Ruudp, Peter has been away all this week but will return on Wed.!

Thanx a lot for the info Joy, your opionion and everybody elses however are more then welcome aswell...I only knew peter was a piano player/teacher soo that's why I directed the question to him.
              For me it's the scherzi and polonaises of chopin ...militairy,HEROIC...the scherzo in b flat minor...LOVELY start of the new week..although we've got school holidays now in Europe, I started working today to get some cash in my pockets
              Regards,
              Ruud

Comment

Joy,
                Consummate good taste, as always. I like those Suites too, I guess the closest Bach got to a symphony. May i assume that the Boston Early Music Soloists are HIP? That would be perfect!

Ruud,
                Well, you have MY opinion of Op 90, it is easier to listen to! Technically demanding, well, I only play it on the CD player, and I have found most disks are about equal

For me now, it is "Silent Woods" for Cello and Orchestra - Op 68 #5 - Antonin Dvorak - Ma BPO/Maazel - The name is perfect for the music, that is all one can say.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well, what else but Symphony in c minor, L. v. Beethoven - VPO/Carlos Kleiber - What art!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Relaxing summer evening,
                    Going through Beethoven's Cello Sonatas no.1 in F, op.5 no.1
                    Cello sonata no. 2 , g minor, op. 5. no.
                    " Sonata no. 3, in a, op.69

A very rich, beautiful and individual voice beguiles ones ears and sensibilities.
                    It is a voice that goes off into many unexplored and wonderful pathway's of human experience.
                    Played with enormous warmth and responsiveness by the late great Jacqueline du Pre'.
                    Buy them on EMI label. Beethoven's genius shines through!

Gurn, Re golf
                    It has been said that brand new golf balls are water magnetic. Though this has not been proven in the Lab. It is a known fact that the more expensive the golf ball, the greater its attraction to water.

------------------
                    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 07-19-2004).]
                    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Holla! Lot of music today, all Symphonies of Schubert - twice. It was Super!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                        Holla! Lot of music today, all Symphonies of Schubert - twice. It was Super!!!!
                        TWICE????
                        don't you've got to work??:P:P:P
                        I'm glad I managed ONE bethoven sonata and the few chopin works I mentioned earlier on..

Comment

Well I'm still reeling from the news of maestro Kleiber's passing. I don't recall seeing a word about it in any of the British press I've seen and yet for a music-lover this ranks for me with the loss of John Smith(leader of the Labour party just prior to Blair)as an event of huge public significance that also feels like a huge personal loss. In his menory, his joyous recording of LVB's 7th. Lets hope a definitive collected edition of his precious and priceless few recordings is not long delayed.

------------------
                          Beethoven the Man!
                          Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                            TWICE????
                            don't you've got to work??:P:P:P
                            I'm glad I managed ONE bethoven sonata and the few chopin works I mentioned earlier on..
                            Ruud
                            I have just started a new job, there I can listen the whole day to what ever I like.

Right now: Nei campi e nelle selve (Canti italiani a capella) WoO 99/7b (Hess 220) I love this melody.

Comment

Amalie,
                              DuPre is outstanding in Beethoven, as in anything else she touched, it seems. I prefer Casals, but only because I HAVE Casals BTW, that golf ball thing is absolutely true, I have been conducting an experiment over the last 10 years and have yet to find any evidence that the rule fails to hold true in all circumstances. It is called golf, you know, because the stock of pronounceable four letter words had already been depleted by the time it was invented

P.
                              Hallo, laddie, good to hear from you. I see you have been all consumed with Schubert, so very nice. I think listening to them twice makes perfect sense. What can Ruud be thinking

JA,
                              Yes, I was very taken by surprise when I ran across that. I absolutely agree that his very slim recorded output needs to be published as a collected works edition. Of course, now that he has passed, there is a liklihood of this, because the incentive is there for the record companies now So it goes. Yes, the lovely 7th. How odd that just this morning I was discussing this work and version with a good friend, then shortly after I run across that news!

For me now, some nice Dvorak, the Romance in f minor for Violin & Orchestra - Op 11 - Beautiful little work.

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                                Well I'm still reeling from the news of maestro Kleiber's passing. I don't recall seeing a word about it in any of the British press I've seen and yet for a music-lover this ranks for me with the loss of John Smith(leader of the Labour party just prior to Blair)as an event of huge public significance that also feels like a huge personal loss. In his menory, his joyous recording of LVB's 7th. Lets hope a definitive collected edition of his precious and priceless few recordings is not long delayed.

Very sad news and a huge loss indeed, JA. Thank goodness we have his recordings of Beethovens Symphonies to enjoy. Too bad he didn't record all of them! That would have been nice! I would have loved to hear his interpretations of the others. Here's a site you can read about his passing. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...Obit%20Kleiber

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X