What are YOU listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JA,
    I have Perahia's recording of Mozart's virtually unknown pastiche piano concertos K 107, he really makes them work. Unfortunate that people tend to have a low opinion of pastiche, the boy had to learn somehow, and if the original composers had done nearly as well... Anyway, at half price you just won't do better, and even though I love Uchida in Schubert's sonatas, I haven't heard nearly as complimentary in her Mozart (only heard one myself, it wasn't outstanding). Do it, if you don't like them, I'll buy them from you!! I didn't know Kleiber had done Schubert! I'll have to fight off Pastorali for that last copy!

Joy,
    Well, I had to give it a preview so Sunday wouldn't be spoiled if it was a disaster! I know, it reeled me back a day, but I'll be back in synch by the weekend I would absolutely feel like a whiz if I could answer your Haydn question, but I don't have a copy of that symphony so I have never looked up the story I will find it and answer you tomorrow though, fair enough?

For me, Haydn too, the Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross - Version for Solo Piano - John McCabe - Lovely works, an Introduction and 7 little sonatas, each one conveying a meaning for the Passion. And the piano version equals the String Quartet version, which is unexpected. Bueno.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Pleasant listening before setting off to work!

Beethoven: Piano sonata no.24, F# major, Op.78
      Played by, Heinrich Neuhaus,

Chopin: Ballade no.4, Op.52
      Valarie Tyron, Piano

John Corigliano: 'Elegy',
      CBC Vancouver Orchestra.

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
        Pleasant indeed. Lebewohl!

Fo rme, start off the morning with an eye opener, the Overture to Guillaume Tell - Rossini - Montreal SO / Dutoit. Whew!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Sorrano,
          Yes, I thought you were being droll, just not too sure You probably made big points with Rod though That's a nice overture, and a nice gesture by Brahms to write it as a gift. How many people could really do that? Different from Ligeti ???

I'm still with Haydn though, now the Sonata in C - #48 - Hob 16:35 - Nicely played by John McCabe.

Ever wonder what 20th Century music sounds like on 18th Century instruments?

In respect to Brahms and Ligeti, be mindful that their political situations were vastly different. Ligeti did not have the freedom (at first) to write what he wanted, thanks to Stalinist ideals.

Listening to Cage's 4'33". I think the performer is a tad slow with his tempo.

Comment

Sorrano,
            I heard that one just last week, also on authentic instruments. Of course, in a live performance there are always problems, there seemed to be a lot of gas passing amongst the wind section (guess that's why they call them the winds ) but it was hard to tell if it was obliggato or concertante.

For me, actually on authentic instruments, is the Trio for Fortepiano and Strings in Bb - #1 K 254 - W. Amadé Mozart. Marvieullieux.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Joy,
              Well, I had to give it a preview so Sunday wouldn't be spoiled if it was a disaster! I know, it reeled me back a day, but I'll be back in synch by the weekend I would absolutely feel like a whiz if I could answer your Haydn question, but I don't have a copy of that symphony so I have never looked up the story I will find it and answer you tomorrow though, fair enough?

A Beethoven's 9th Symphony that was a disaster?? Heaven forbid!! I trust it was a good recording?? I shall await your answer to my inquiry with baited breath! Thanks for looking into it!
              For me it's another hodgepodge kind of musical day. Started out with Smetana's Bartered Bride; then Mozart's Serenade #12, later on his Piano Sonata #11 (lovely), and his Symphony #9 via radio; also Haydn's Symphony #9 (must be something with the #9 today), later on this afternoon by radio is Beethoven's "King Stephen" Overture Op 117
              with conductor Sir Colin Davis and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra. Another Beethoven piece you don't hear too much on radio so it'll be a treat!

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Listening to Cage's 4'33". I think the performer is a tad slow with his tempo.

!!!

------------------

Comment

JA,
                  I have Perahia's recording of Mozart's virtually unknown pastiche piano concertos K 107, he really makes them work. Unfortunate that people tend to have a low opinion of pastiche, the boy had to learn somehow, and if the original composers had done nearly as well...

Well gurn I've got these works performed on baroque violins and harpsichord *as was the original attempt* and to top it off I've even got the ORIGINAL sonata's on which they were based by j,chr,bach..
                  Right now as I'm typing this the conputers treats me to john lill's rendering of the sonata op.90 in E minor by Beethoven.
                  a Lovely chill after a hard das work

regards,
                  Ruud

P.s I used to have meriaha's version of the First concerto of kv.107 unfortunately these got lost...

Comment

The Allegro from Schubert's Symphony no5
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Joy,
                      Well, it could happen! Fortunately it didn't though. This was the London SO /Jochum, and the singing was very good indeed. I have yet to nail down any answer to your query, a million references but no explanations. Grrr... I shan't give up though
                      Great listening, I kind of like that Smetana, he was at most a 2 hit wonder, and this was one of them. And the Jenomie Concerto and Turkish Rondo, then King Stephan, well...

Ruud,
                      ¡Que hombré! I have never even heard the original sonatas. That is quite a collection you are putting together, my friend. It seems like the little oddities are what attract you, I know someone like that . Op 90 again, you will soon know every note. Very nice.

Space,
                      I hope you will soon listen to the rest of it too! We have been listening to Schubert symphonies here all week, so we know that allegro pretty well by now, although not so much as Ruud knows Op 90!

BTW, I have looked for the Kleiber symphonies and as you would expect they are pretty much sold out, even the big box that has a whole lot of things including the Schubert's. No surprise, the only box left in stock is the one that Joy and I already have, the DG Originals B 5 & 7. SO it goes.

Well, now it is 8 Variations in G major for Piano, K 24 - W. Amadé Mozart. This lad has potential, even I can see that!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Joy,
                        See, you can count on me! Here's the first I found, from the Musical Heritage Society:

"the second movement has the somewhat unusual heading Adagio, ma semplicemente. The solemn, somewhat pompous character of the its main theme is, no doubt, responsible for the nickname "the Schoolmaster"."

I also found another that was essentially the same from a different source. Does that work for you?

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, almost forgot! Right now I am listening to the Concerto in g mnor for 2 Violins and Orchestra - Op 3 #2 - Antonio Vivaldi. The violin parts are being played on violins!

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 07-21-2004).]
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have unfortunately no Kleiber - I listened to radio yesterday...
                          Today I had a Beethoven folksong day, which was very cheerful of course, what else!?

Schubert? Yes, #1, 3, 5 (all moves.) the allegro hmmmm..., I love it

Now Pollini, Piano Sonatas #28 & 29
                          It's der Hammer!

Comment

Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos no. 2 and 3! Bernd Glemser on Naxos, I must say this is a very good recording and he plays very well, always bringing out the piano above the orchestra during those difficult fortissimo passages with the huge chords! Very melodic and well-controlled playing too.

Comment

Still hung up on Masses. Right now it is Vanhal's Missa Pastoralis in G major.
                              In it we get a little Mozart, a little Haydn and a lot of Vanhal. Good listening.

Gurn, do you have to have more than 10 fingers to play the Baryton?

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 07-21-2004).]

Comment

P.
                                Ah yes, those excellent sonatas for Hammerklavier. I particularly like that Op 101. 106 is almost too much to deal with sometimes, it puts me in a trance! Some would say "how is that different than usual?", but they are merely cruel!

VC.
                                I think those are among the best Late Romantic piano concertos. I really like #2 the best, but #3 is not any less good either. I have Glemser playing the Tchaikovsky concertos, I agree, his playing is very powerful, in keeping with the music.

King,
                                I have now an opportunity to listen to Vanhal, I am looking forward to it. As for the baryton, no, I don't think so, the extra strings vibrate sympathetically. They appear to be hidden behind the fingerboard, I really would like to get my hands on one of those rascals for an hour and a lot of questions would be answered! In any case, I have never seen a piece for "baryton 4 hands"

And for me, I am still caught up in Vivaldi, again a Concerto for 2 Violins, this one in a minor, Op 3 #8. Once again, the violin parts are played by actual violins, no recorders here!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment