Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastorali:
    Ruud
    I have just started a new job, there I can listen the whole day to what ever I like.

Right now: Nei campi e nelle selve (Canti italiani a capella) WoO 99/7b (Hess 220) I love this melody.
    What a nice job you have!! Very nice Schubert selections Pastorali! I heard his Piano Sonata played by Murray Perahia earlier in the day!!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Ruupd, enjoy your holiday!!
      Gurn, Hi! Today's listening included the Overture to The Magic Flute by Mozart, one of my favourites of his! Also Beethoven's Ruins of Athens (another piece rarely heard via classical radio) by the St. Louis Symphony and Leonard Slatkin conducting also Beethoven's Leonore #3 with the ASO and Yoel Levi conducting. Nice to hear these two!

------------------

Comment

A nice quiet evening with Franz Schubert. His eight impromptus op.90 and op.142, performed with warmth and feeling by John O'Conor.

Comment

Joy,
          I swear, we just seem to hit on the same things so often, this time it is only a near miss, as I am listening to the incidental music from "Consecration of the House". also rarely heard, mine by the BPO / Abbado. And it even has singing, I am SO proud!

King,
          I love those impromptus, seems like Schubert is carrying on the tradition of miniaturization begun by B with the bagatelles. Mine are by Uchida, first rate music anyway.

Well, there are no surprises left, except to say that my next selection has singing too! It is the incidental music to "Leonore Prohaska", WoO 96. Sometimes I amaze even myself!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Shostakovich Quartets: No. 2 and 3.
            Emerson Quartet. Just awesome.

No composer summed up everything that was wrong with the 20th century- with 4 instruments- better than this man. A gripping, compelling yet horrible overall utterance.

These quartets along with Bartok's are the most potent we have in the modern world.

------------------
            v russo
            v russo

Comment

Shostakovich Quartets: No. 2 and 3.
              Emerson Quartet. Just awesome.

No composer summed up everything that was wrong with the 20th century- with 4 instruments- better than this man. A gripping, compelling yet horrible overall utterance.

These quartets along with Bartok's are the most potent we have in the modern world.

------------------
              v russo
              v russo

Comment

v.
                I have to agree, of 20th century chamber music, SQ's in particular, Bartok and DSCH are the two that come closest to hitting the mark. I listened to Bartok #4 on the way home from work yesterday and it was great again, as usual.

But this morning, it is back in time, the Sonata in Eb for Piano - #29 - Hob 16:45 - Joseph Haydn. Very nice.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Sorrano,
                  Well, you puzzle me, since Ligeti is contempory! I am gaining a real appreciation for Rimsky-Korsakov here lately. I like that Capriccio.

And thus, it is easy to come by authentic instruments for Ligeti.

This morning Brahms Festival Academy Overture. (Quite a difference between him and Ligeti!)

Comment

Sorrano,
                    Yes, I thought you were being droll, just not too sure You probably made big points with Rod though That's a nice overture, and a nice gesture by Brahms to write it as a gift. How many people could really do that? Different from Ligeti ???

I'm still with Haydn though, now the Sonata in C - #48 - Hob 16:35 - Nicely played by John McCabe.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      Joy,
                      I swear, we just seem to hit on the same things so often, this time it is only a near miss, as I am listening to the incidental music from "Consecration of the House". also rarely heard, mine by the BPO / Abbado. And it even has singing, I am SO proud!

King,
                      I love those impromptus, seems like Schubert is carrying on the tradition of miniaturization begun by B with the bagatelles. Mine are by Uchida, first rate music anyway.

Well, there are no surprises left, except to say that my next selection has singing too! It is the incidental music to "Leonore Prohaska", WoO 96. Sometimes I amaze even myself!

Gurn, well, you know what they say about "great minds...." Anyway, this morning via classical radio they played Beethoven's 1st and 3rd Symphonies, Mozart's Symphony #15 is planned for this afternoon and Chopin's Ballard #1. It seems some musical potpourri is planned for the day.
                      And by concidence they will be playing Consecration of the House later on today, another rarely played selection so it's good to hear it when it's on. You also gave me a taste for Leonore Prohaska, I shall have to get my overture CD out and give a listen.

------------------

Comment

I've been hearing some BEAUTIFUL chopin works today, the militairy polonaise and the ballad op.23.The first performed by folke nauta and the second performed by Klara würtz, She plays this piece SOO wonderfully It gets me shivers down my spine time and again..

Regards,
                        ruud

Comment

Joy
                          Truly a nice job this way! Murray Perahia was my first listening today, playing one of Bach's Violin Concertos in a Piano version. Very nice! Also a lot of Kleiber today and again some fiery Symphonies by Schubert...

Gurn
                          I have f...... email probems, &/%(?***) s... MS

Anselm Huettenbrenner - Requiem c-moll

Comment

Joy,
                            Great minds indeed. Kindred spirits, I suspect. Last night I listened to yet another "Ode to You", which I will be putting into the rotation, this time London PO/Jochum, with Kiri Te Kanawha among others. It is really quite nice and will make a worthy addition!

Ruud,
                            I am pleased to see you going after those Polonaises. I was worried that you were missing out since you never mentioned any. Truly the cream of Chopin's outputs, along with the Nocturnes.

P.
                            Better now though, eh? I think so, as nothing is returning. At least you are having a good day of listening.I wish I had a lot of Kleiber to listen to! Only that one disk. I would love to have the other one, of the 4th and 6th.

Right now though, it is some lovely piano trios, this is the E major Trio #44 of F. Joseph Haydn. Excellent!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pastorali:

Murray Perahia was my first listening today, playing one of Bach's Violin Concertos in a Piano version. Very nice! Also a lot of Kleiber today and again some fiery Symphonies by Schubert...

Perahia for me too - all 5 LVB piano concertos with Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw - superb ! There is a possibility I may treat myself to his full set of Mozart concertos which is being sold at half price at my local HMV. Anyone any better recommendations for £35 or under??? Were money no object I'd probably go for the Uchida/Jeffrey Tate set but that's 3 times the price here
                              And yes I'm listening to Kleiber too - now his recording of the Pastoral - and will definitely treat myself to his recording of the Schubert Third and Eighth symphonies, so we'll definitely be on the same page

------------------
                              Beethoven the Man!
                              Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Gurn, great minds and kindred spirits?? What a combination!! Listening to an Ode to 'Me' on Tuesday, oh my gosh!! What made you get off schedule like that? Couldn't wait until Sunday morning, eh?
                                Pastorali, Kleiber's symphonies, wonderful! Speaking of Kleiber I have to get his 4th and 6th as well, like Gurn, I have only his one CD!
                                JA, Murray Parahia, love him! I think you should get his Mozart concertos. Sounds like a good price to me!
                                Now it's time for Mozart's Symphony #41 Jupiter and then Haydn's #55 subtitled 'The Schoolmaster'? Anyone know what this name means? Gurn, you usually answer me with these types of questions.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-21-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X