What are YOU listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.
    Great, I have heard many good things about it and have been looking forward to getting it myself. Now, only that much more! I haven't had time top look for more information on A & B yet, but you can be sure that I will!

Geratlas,
    Well, it is good to not rush, I understand. I just did not wish to see you go by this one because it is not so famous to have a name on it. For me, I like to look at what other people listen to and like, I learn very many things this way. This is the reason that I spend so much time on this thread, because when I answer people, they maybe will write more, so I learn more too. Great!

For me now though, I am still with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, hopefully becoming enlightened, but now the A major Symphony #87 - Paris #6 - Haydn. I tell you a secret, these Paris symphonies are superior in many ways to the more famous London ones of a few years later. Don't tell anyone that, else they will all want a copy!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Urghh...once more again my old Sony stereo player don't likes a CD - so no 'Mercury' today, shall be a good start for tomorrow morning.
      Sym. "A+B", they have no numbers mentioned indeed, maybe they were found later, after Haydn's death. Today, we would say 'Bonus tracks'

Nice to see you back ::Geratlas:: come next Sunday, Pastor Ali will make a messy mass for you!

I quickly found an alternative for my suddenly stopped Haydn-session:

Elegischer Gesang Op.118
      Opferlied Op.121b
      Bundeslied Op.122
      Ah! Perfido Op.65

I love it to be flexibly

Comment

Good evening Ya'all,
        I've been away for the weekend and haven't been able too post yet,I stayed at a friends place at the dutch coast...Tony, It's the place in which the line -holland-harwich departs..It has been a top weekend..I've been laying on the beach..shopping in Rotterdam and watching armstrong win the tour de france the 6th time...
        Musically I've also listened but too the same old stuff ...
        It has been..Beethoven ianosonata op.109/111/31.1/2/3,90/106 and his 4th concerto for piano and orchestra..sonata's by john lill and the concerto by Christian Zacherias and the orchestra of dresden

Chopin: The waltzes and the heroic and military polonaise.the waltzes performed by martyn van der hoek and the polonaises by folke nauta.

Mozart: sonata in C major Kv.19d a 4e mains and the other one in C major a 4e mains for 2 pianosisters *aurenbrügger I believe* Kv608 an piece for flötenuhr arranged for piano a 4e mains and the variations in G major a 4e mains performed by bart van oort and Ürschula dütschler on a replica walter 1795 pianoforte.
        That's it for now...till tomorrow..

Ruud

Comment

Herr Ali,
          Bless me, I have been unable to fulfill my mission as yet. It is amazing how much references one can find to the recordings without actually finding anything about the music itself. 2 symphonies in Bb, should be easy Not!

Ruud,
          Welcome back, while you have been lazing on the beach, Amalie, PAstorali and I have been carrying on the work, listening to music. P has been doing the most, but we have helped also! I see you are again in a piano mood, and why not, you do have much to choose from. Interesting, K 608 which is a Fantasia for Mechanical Organ, arranged for 4 hands. Hmmm... sounds good!

For me, a little heavier weight to carry, but I have broad shoulders so I will struggle on: Symphony in d minor - #3 - Anton Bruckner - You know, if he hadn't called this work "Wagner", it would be quite acceptable! I am trying to learn how Bruckner works, which is like taking apart a large watch, hope it still works when I get it back together

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn
            Bruckner, that's brave!
            I have only his Symphony #1 and Iistened about three years ago to it, had no nerve for it...

Prüfung des Küssens WoO 89
            Mit Mädeln sich vertragen WoO 90
            Primo amore WoO 92

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
              It's Baroque to night. Telemann's suite in A minor for recorder and strings. Why isn't more of this wonderful composers music performed. He was one of the most prolific composers of the baroque period. His life long moto was: "Give every instrument according to its measure, then players are full of joy and you will enjoy the pleasure"
              Stephen, I agree about Telemann being performed more often. He is one of my favourites from the baroque period. They do play quite a lot of him on public radio especially on Sundays when they have a full three hour program dedicated to the baroque era. As a matter of fact later on today they will be playing his Viola Concerto in G.

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

JA, Seems they played all my favourtie overtures as well. Rach's Theme by Paganini, one of my favourites of his.
                Muriel, The Walstein by Kempff, excellent choice!
                Ruud, sounds like you had a great weekend! Some great choices of Beethoven's Sonatas.
                And last, but not least, Gurn! You have been listening to a lot of Dvorak lately! For me today Mozart's Symphony No. 24 in B-Flat K 182 Conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras
                with the Prague Chamber Orchestra and Haydn's Piano Sonata No. 47 with Jeno Jando. Not to mention Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 1 in B-Flat K 20. Plus, of course, something from Beethoven, The Waldstein. Muriel gave me a taste for that!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                  Well its now Proms season over here - just seen a TV broadcast of one that was full of popular overtures and arias ( William Tell, Marriage of Figaro, 1812, the Catalogue aria from Don Giovanni, Non Piu Andrai etc. etc.) Not bad, a good NZ tenor soloist, but not outstanding. In the middle of all this however was a quite extraordinary performance of Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. Soloist Louis Lortie ( I think that's the spelling!). TV close ups showed all the mannerisms and emoting which were a bit OTT, but the performance was magnificent, menacing and crisp in the main theme, and lyrical without getting slushy in Variation 18 ( some feat that!) and generally splendid throughout IMHO. The accompanying orchestra - Halle conducted by Mark Elder - did him proud and clearly thought it was a bit special too! After all that I'm cooling off with Mozart PC 21 K467 (Perahia) - my favourite kind of nachtmusik.

Dear Judith I saw the Rachmaninov and fairly froze in my seat. I had never seen the whole of that piece before. I thought that Louise Lortie was utterly superb. Did you get my TS Eliot Email?

------------------
                  Love from London
                  Love from London

Comment

Continued in another thread.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                    X