Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are YOU listening to now?

Pastorali,
    You have been much into Vivaldi lately. Very nice. Yesterday when you mentioned Red Priest and playing of the 4 Seasons, I was going to suggest that you try some of V's recorder concertos too. For a complete list of proper instruments, see my upcoming new book "The Recorder is NOT a Violin", by Gurn Blanston. That should get spaceray's attention!

For me now, it is F. Joseph Haydn, the Sonata for Piano w/optional accompaniment of Violin and/or Cello (Piano Trio) in G major, #39. Beaux Arts Trio. Marvelous!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, start off this fine morning with a bit of Mendelssohn - the Quartet in f minor for Strings - #6 - Op 80 - Excellent, as usual!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      Well, start off this fine morning with a bit of Mendelssohn - the Quartet in f minor for Strings - #6 - Op 80 - Excellent, as usual!

I've started the day with some FIELD nocturnes played on a 1823 Broadwood splendid indeed..

Comment

Ruud,
        Yes, agreed. It amazes me how much good authentic music you have available to you in Europe. I would be willing to wager that that CD was never even considered for release in the US. Sigh...

But in any case, I do have Mozart's Trio in Bb for Violin, Viola & Cello - #1 - K 271f - The incomparable Arthur Grumiaux and friends.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

For a complete list of proper instruments, see my upcoming new book "The Recorder is NOT a Violin", by Gurn Blanston.

Gurn
          Do send me a copy of your latest ,as far as I can tell Piers Adams IS playing that recorder like a violin .I have never heard anything like it.I don't imagine you have ever heard Piers play but if you had you would hear just what I mean.
          Muriel
          Alessandro Marcello (1684 -1750)Concerto for oboe in D,played by Tafelmusik
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            Gurn
            Do send me a copy of your latest ,as far as I can tell Piers Adams IS playing that recorder like a violin .I have never heard anything like it.I don't imagine you have ever heard Piers play but if you had you would hear just what I mean.
            Muriel
            Alessandro Marcello (1684 -1750)Concerto for oboe in D,played by Tafelmusik
            space,
            Ah, I was right, that woke you up! You did put one by me there, I have never run across Marcello. Is his sound reminiscent of any more well-known composer? Do tell!

For me, it is the Divertimento #17 in D major - K 320b - Amade. Too nice for words!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Our weather is that rainy all the day, I need some more Red Priest to keep my mood in balance!
              Six Concertos for Anna Maria. Those concerts are so gooooood, I'm sure A.M. was a very lovely maiden!

Gurn. I knew you must be a ghostwriter, I was just to shy to tell you this! Well, I wait a while and then I get it on eBay...

Comment

P.
                I don't know about that plan, the bidding will surely go high! Tell me, what sort of concertos are those for Anna Maria? Are those the recorder concertos?

For me, it is the Sinfonia Concertante in Eb for Violin, Viola & Orchestra - K 320d (364), W. Amadé Mozart. As always, marvelous.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Symphony in c minor - #5 - Op 67 - "Fate"
                  L. v. Beethoven - VPO/Kleiber - Ahhh...

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

P.
                    I don't know about that plan, the bidding will surely go high! Tell me, what sort of concertos are those for Anna Maria? Are those the recorder concertos?

For me, it is the Sinfonia Concertante in Eb for Violin, Viola & Orchestra - K 320d (364), W. Amadé Mozart. As always, marvelous.

Gurn
                    These are Violin Concertos. Anna Maria was a very talented pupil of Vivaldi. He wrote 24 concertos for her, but I have only six of them.
                    RV 248, 229, 363, 260, 349, 267 again sexy numbers

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 07-13-2004).]

Comment

Chopin Etudes - Murray Perahia - shimmers like a lake in sunshine! And just what I need after a long and difficult day. I've also got some Haydn Cello Concertos (Hob. VIIB 1,2 & 4, Maria Kleigel and the Cologne Chamber Orchestra conducted by Helmut Muller-Bruhl), the Mozart Requiem (Harnoncourt), Brahms German Requiem (Ileana Cotrubas, Hermann Prey and the New Philharmonia conducted by Maazel) and a very extensive collection of English Song to listen to next. Not bad for a total of £16 ....

------------------
                      Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 07-13-2004).]
                      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                        [B]Symphony in c minor - #5 - Op 67 - "Fate" -

Perhaps Beethoven's Landlord knocking at the door? Nicht so laut Herr Beethoven! Bitte, Nicht so laut! (( ))

Am I right in saying that the threefold knocking, as in the opening of the Beethoven's C minor Symphony is a Masonic Symbolism
                        for the repititious knocking on the door of the Lodge by the candidate for initiation.
                        Each knock representing one of the trinity of Masonic virtues, Beauty, Strength and Wisdom?

Listening now to Ludwig,
                        "Rasumovsky" Op.59/2
                        Tackas Quartet.

------------------
                        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 07-13-2004).]
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

P.
                          So odd that I have never heard any referred to by such name, although I have listened intensively to Vivaldi for years. I shall surely look into these. All numbers are sexy, it is just dependent on your point of view!

JA,
                          Sounds great. I have some Kleigel also, playing Beethoven oddly enough. I like her style, wonderful tone and phrasing. You're right, £16 well spent!

Amalie,
                          I know you are right that the three knocks are a Masonic deal, just as you say, however, I don't know if B was using them symbolically or not. I have heard it speculated, but I rather fancy your other explanation more. Nicht so laut, indeed

For me, the lovely Pastoral Symphony, VPO/Bohm, a classic performance of a classic symphony. Gotta run, sounds like it is time for a storm!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Pa Haydn's loverly Cello Concerto no.1
                            Ann Gastinel (cello),
                            Prima La Musica

------------------
                            ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Ruud,
                              Yes, agreed. It amazes me how much good authentic music you have available to you in Europe. I would be willing to wager that that CD was never even considered for release in the US. Sigh...

But in any case, I do have Mozart's Trio in Bb for Violin, Viola & Cello - #1 - K 271f - The incomparable Arthur Grumiaux and friends.

Gurn,
                              Don't be sore, you'll have that music sooner or later..
                              right now I'm listening to some beautiful mozart sonata's kv457,309,331 by klara würtz and some 4e mains sonata's By mozart performed on authentic intstruments by Bart van Oort and Ursula Dütschler

Comment

Working...
                              X