No announcement yet.

What are YOU listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You pricky Gurn! If I had knew as a young boy, Vivaldi wrote such good music for the recorder, I hadn't stopped the lessons...

But I listen to Mozart's lovely Symphony in D major, K. 97

Comment

P.
      Yes, my friend, I am all of that! I didn't know you to be one of those wooden whistle chaps. I'm impressed!

And still Vivaldi. Have you noticed that all of the Concertos for 2 violins in the Op 3 are in the minor? Right now, it is in d minor, #11 - That Vivaldi quite a guy!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        Joy,
        See, you can count on me! Here's the first I found, from the Musical Heritage Society:

"the second movement has the somewhat unusual heading Adagio, ma semplicemente. The solemn, somewhat pompous character of the its main theme is, no doubt, responsible for the nickname "the Schoolmaster"."

I also found another that was essentially the same from a different source. Does that work for you?

I knew I could count on you, thanks!! This does indeed work for me. This afternoon I'm listening to Mozart's Piano Cocnerto #20; another Haydn's Symphony #84 this time;
        Leonore Overture #3, splendid, and Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1 in C Op 15
        Conductoed by Hans Vonk with the Staatskapelle Dresden Orchestra and
        Christian Zacharias, piano. Lovely!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Tired in London Schubert Imprommptus Nelson Freire A lovely moment
          Love from London

Comment

Impromptus of course!!

------------------
            Love from London
            Love from London

Comment

Joy,
              I live only to serve! Enjoy. You have started me on a new project anyway, tracking down the names of "named" symphonies. Haydn has 33!!

Tony,
              Excellent choice, hope it gives you some mellowness, you seem to need it

For me, it is hte Quartet in f minor for Strings - Op 20 #5 - Joseph Haydn. Super!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Tonight it's Brahms. His Double Concert for violin and cello, performed by Oistrakh, Rostropovich, with the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by George Szell. A vintage performance.

Comment

william jesset obviously...

------------------
                  v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited 07-22-2004).]
                  v russo

Comment

King,
                    You're right, that is a superb performance. Coupled with a super Trio Concerto by the Master. Excellente!

v.
                    Sorry

For me, great way to start out the day, with the delightful Symphony in C major - #41 - K 551 - W. Amadé Mozart - Academy of Ancient Music. "The one with the fugue finale". BTW, someone asked not too long ago about this being called "Jupiter", and I am still not sure why exactly, although it is probably because of its "Olympian" demeanor. However, I found this little item last night, the first published use of the term was in a score for a piano reduction which was published in 1822 by Clementi (yes, Muzio) Publishing, which was by then a London company. I have a neat picture of the cover page, wish I could put a picture here for you to see, as always in that time, the prose is wonderfully bombastic.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 07-22-2004).]
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                      Impromptus of course!!

We'll forgive you for that spelling error Tony, We know you were tired!! Good choice for the night's listening. Meanwhile it's Beethoven's Piano Sonata #15.

------------------

Comment

Joy,
                        I live only to serve! Enjoy. You have started me on a new project anyway, tracking down the names of "named" symphonies. Haydn has 33!!

That's good to know, Gurn! Sounds like that will keep you busy for the upcoming months! It might have been me asking about Mozart's Jupiter's name origin so thanks for that information. Speaking of Hadyn's name composition today it's his Symphony #83 "The Hen" but I think we all know where he got that name from! Also later Mozart's symphonies 32 and 40 via radio. You have also been listening to Vivaldi lately, I heard this one on radio. Very nice. Violin Concerto in D Op 11 Conductor Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music
                        with Stanley Ritchie, Violin.

Stephen, Brahm's! Good choice!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-22-2004).]

Comment

King,
                          You're right, that is a superb performance. Coupled with a super Trio Concerto by the Master. Excellente!

v.
                          Sorry

For me, great way to start out the day, with the delightful Symphony in C major - #41 - K 551 - W. Amadé Mozart - Academy of Ancient Music. "The one with the fugue finale". BTW, someone asked not too long ago about this being called "Jupiter", and I am still not sure why exactly, although it is probably because of its "Olympian" demeanor. However, I found this little item last night, the first published use of the term was in a score for a piano reduction which was published in 1822 by Clementi (yes, Muzio) Publishing, which was by then a London company. I have a neat picture of the cover page, wish I could put a picture here for you to see, as always in that time, the prose is wonderfully bombastic.

gurn,
                          As I understand it the nickname Jupiter has been given to this symphony by johann Peter salomon *the same who lured Haydn to england* in order to make it appeal more to the english crowd and perhaps aswell because of it's positive grandeur

Comment

Ruud,
                            Oh, I hadn't ever read that. Thanks for that bit of info. I only knew it was a Brit thing. What are you listening to now?

Joy,
                            Months indeed, but only because source material is scattered all over the globe! Even though my library has become substantial, there are still those gaping holes. Oh well. And Ruud has been most helpful with the Salomon information. I will find it in writing now, perhaps Robbins-Landon... Anyway, I truly wish I had that AAM/Vivaldi, I understand this is a really good version. Oh well, someday!

Right now though, it is the Symphony in D major - #53 - F. Joseph Haydn. "L'Imperiale". Hmmm... I wonder which Emperor or Empress this one was named for? Maria Theresa, most likely. Well, It is my job to find out...

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ruud,
                              Oh, I hadn't ever read that. Thanks for that bit of info. I only knew it was a Brit thing. What are you listening to now?

Joy,
                              Months indeed, but only because source material is scattered all over the globe! Even though my library has become substantial, there are still those gaping holes. Oh well. And Ruud has been most helpful with the Salomon information. I will find it in writing now, perhaps Robbins-Landon... Anyway, I truly wish I had that AAM/Vivaldi, I understand this is a really good version. Oh well, someday!

Right now though, it is the Symphony in D major - #53 - F. Joseph Haydn. "L'Imperiale". Hmmm... I wonder which Emperor or Empress this one was named for? Maria Theresa, most likely. Well, It is my job to find out...

SOOO sorry I forgot that..
                              I'm listening to george Szells rendition of the 9th symphony by Beethoven
                              It's a 1963 recording with the Cleveland Chorus and Orchestra...Is george szell a good recording according to you..I love it but it's my only recording :I've listened too so far..Also Wilhelm Kempff is coming out of my speakers...1965 recording of the tempest,appasionata and moonlight sonata's by our revered master...

Regards,
                              Ruud

Comment

Ruud,
                                I think Szell, is an excellent recording, I don't have it now but I have in the past and I will again. You can do much worse. Also, for the Kempff, I am committed in writing that he is my favorite Beethoven player, the disk I have of him is Pathetique, Moonlight, Waldstein and Appassionata, it is my favorite single piano sonata disk. If only he was playing even a Graf! Oh well.

For me right now, the Haydn Symphonies have advanced to the D amjor, #93, I am so grateful there is no name to worry about!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment