No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gurn, Yes to your question of "The whole Opera?". The cast includes Dawn Upshaw, Kiri Te Kanawa, Anne Sofie Von Otter, Thomas Hampson, and Ferruccio Furlanetto as "Figaro". James Livne is conducting the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, with the Metropolitan Opera Chorus. What better way to spend a wet Saturday afternoon?
    So is K131.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-26-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

space,

[/B]
      From Mozart's Le nozze di Figaro" Non so piu" Delicious!
      I pity the poor fellow who has no taste for the greatest and most influential musical form ever devised ,some of these folks think that they actually know something about music when in fact they don't know the half of it!
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Right now, Wunderlich is going to A-a-aaaaa,aaaaaaadelai,iiii-ide. Amazing.

------------------
        "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          From Mozart's Le nozze di Figaro" Non so piu" Delicious!
          I pity the poor fellow who has no taste for the greatest and most influential musical form ever devised ,some of these folks think that they actually know something about music when in fact they don't know the half of it!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

King,
            Sounds splendid for a wet afternoon actually, one of Mozart's finest works. The opera is OK too.

space,

And for me, no singing unfortuanately, however, Pablo plays the cello as though it were singing, so it is the Sonata in D major for Cello & Piano - #5 - Op 102 #2 - Pablo Casals & Rudolph Serkin. A testament to the value of recording, to keep these artistes playing forever!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Saturday night in London. Wonderful but oh so rare rain in this chronically over heated city. Back with Mozart and Die Zauberflote. Not being a musician, but at least some kind of amateur connoisseur, I have to say that, on listening closely with full atttention, I cannot begin to even vaguely comprehend how any one mortal person could write such marvellous music

------------------
              Love from London
              Love from London

Comment

Whew, I slept late this morning, can I catch up with you all?

I.L.L. -
                Yes, Chopin was very influential on later piano styles. I much enjoy to listen to him, however it was important to chastise spaceray at the time, so I made believe otherwise As for the black DNA, you will find in the thread "Was Beethoven Black?" that I said exactly the same thing, that if you go back far enough in time, we are ALL black. It is no big deal to me, I think it would be the least of my problems! Bach is good. Listen on!

Amalie,
                Quite a span, Handel to Shostakovich! I like that RVW too, although I prefer "LArk Ascending", it is the nearest he got to my favorite genre, the violin concerto.

King,
                The whole opera? Just listening to the overture wears me out. The busiest little 4 minutes in all opera. Anyway, K 287 is a peach, no?

space,

Pastorali,
                Listen to how much more is going on in that symphony compared to the Eb, K 16. It is amazingly more to me. Our little Wolferl grew up fast, I think.

Joy,
                Oh, the c minor, beauty! Tell me, how does Mr. O'Conor do on this so nice piece? I already know that MacKerras does a great accompaniment, he frequently makes a recording go from good to great, no matter the soloist. Enjoy. I am already deciding which version of the Ode to You that i will begin tomorrow with

For me right now, it is Beethoven, I don't follow you all back into Mozart's time (!) the Quartet in f minor - Op 95 "Serioso". Seriously beautiful.

Dear Gurn I know that I have posted this a few times before but Op 95 "Serioso" is still for me the essence of what I understand as the Maestro's supreme "mid period" skill There is something about the piece that even in this cynical weary time sounds ever fresh and incisive

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                  Dear Gurn I know that I have posted this a few times before but Op 95 "Serioso" is still for me the essence of what I understand as the Maestro's supreme "mid period" skill There is something about the piece that even in this cynical weary time sounds ever fresh and incisive
                  TJ,
                  Both of your posts intrigue me. Reckoning how a creative genius works, any of them, not just Mozart, has always been to me one of the great mysteries of life. My guess is that those vast multitudes of us who are NOT such will never be able to understand, we are comdemned to mere enjoyment Oh, BTW, I am from Texas, my friend, please do not take it amiss if I get a hearty chuckle from your complaints of heat!
                  As for the Serioso, my estimation is that it sits squarely on the boundary between mid-period and late period, I tend to think of it as the first of the late period quartets because it shares some structural things, but also just the sound of it is more late period, which is totally subjective, but valid for me. I love it, I probably play it more than any other B quartet.

But right now, it is a different B quartet which has me occupied, the #12 in Eb - Op 127 - Geez, this is good stuff!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

TJ,
                    Both of your posts intrigue me. Reckoning how a creative genius works, any of them, not just Mozart, has always been to me one of the great mysteries of life. My guess is that those vast multitudes of us who are NOT such will never be able to understand, we are comdemned to mere enjoyment Oh, BTW, I am from Texas, my friend, please do not take it amiss if I get a hearty chuckle from your complaints of heat!
                    As for the Serioso, my estimation is that it sits squarely on the boundary between mid-period and late period, I tend to think of it as the first of the late period quartets because it shares some structural things, but also just the sound of it is more late period, which is totally subjective, but valid for me. I love it, I probably play it more than any other B quartet.

But right now, it is a different B quartet which has me occupied, the #12 in Eb - Op 127 - Geez, this is good stuff!

Gurnster,

Re - Vaughan Williams Theme on Thomas Tallis
                    Yes, Lark ascending is equally as beautiful and lyrical.
                    I do tend to stray a bit but never from my beloved Beethoven. Love Opus 127 & 95.

Sunday morning...

A stylish wake up call from LULLY
                    March pour la Ceremone torque!
                    Le Concert des Nation.
                    Now lulled back into a peaceful meditative prayer by, JOHN TAVENER.
                    Funeral Ikos, Choir of Kings College, Cambridge.

Now its delicious early BEETHOVEN
                    with his Rondino for wind Octet, Wo0 25

Now BEETHOVEN Romance no.2 in F. Op.50
                    deliciously played by Nathan Milstein (violin), Philharmonia
                    very refined playing!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-27-2004).]
                    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
                      Sounds a splendid morning, especially the lounging in bed part. I am already breakfasted and ready to go(lf)
                      And yet, cannot leave without the 9th, it wouldn't be Sunday, would it? Today, Zurich Tonhalle Orchestre/David Zinman. Marvelous, up tempo, great playing. who could ask for more?

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                        [B]Amalie,
                        Sounds a splendid morning, especially the lounging in bed part.

No such luxuries for me Gurn, I am really an early riser. To me, sleep is times all devouring hand.

listening to some lovely Lieder by Schubert, Mozart and Huttenbrenner, courtesy of Pastorali.
                        And a few songs from Shakespeare sung by Alfred Deller, countertenor.

Come, thou monarch of the vine,
                        Plumpy Bacchus, with pink eyne!
                        In the vats our cares be drowned,
                        With thy grapes our hairs be crowned!
                        Cup us till the world go round,
                        Cup us till the world go round!

------------------
                        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

who could ask for more?

Of course, I would ask for more! Ah... I knew, you are not surprised!
                          My Sunday pleasure today: LvB's Op.86, Mass in C major. Great, I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                            Of course, I would ask for more! Ah... I knew, you are not surprised!
                            My Sunday pleasure today: LvB's Op.86, Mass in C major. Great, I love it!
                            P.
                            Well, you can always ask, no harm in that. It is the expectation of receiving...
                            Of course, all I asked for the day was a nice golf outing, but it rained so hard that even I, intrepid golfer and wilderness explorer, was forced to rethink the plan, and I am now back at home with some wurstl and pilsener.
                            And the Variations in F major for Piano on a Theme by Winter - WoO 75 - So there is a good side to all this!

PS - Amalie dear, forgive me, it sounded as though you were merely lolling, as people will do of a Sunday. Actually, not a bad idea sometimes.

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Joy,
                              Oh, the c minor, beauty! Tell me, how does Mr. O'Conor do on this so nice piece? I already know that MacKerras does a great accompaniment, he frequently makes a recording go from good to great, no matter the soloist. Enjoy. I am already deciding which version of the Ode to You that i will begin tomorrow with

What?? No flog/golf today?? How are you getting through this Sunday?? But I'm sure the music will keep you going throughout the day. Mr. O' Conor plays splendidly as usual. He's always a pleasure to listen to. As for me on this beautiful sunny, but hot day is Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #4; Mozart's Symphony #26; Beethoven's Piano Sonata #11; and now his Piano Sonata No.8, an historical performance, with Solist Artur Rubinstein, piano. Later on today on the radio wll be Fidelio with conductor Leonard Bernstein!
                              Enjoy your 9th, Gurn! At least the rain can't stop you from savouring that!

------------------
                              'Truth and beauty joined'
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Concerto Grosso in F opus 6 no6 ,Arcangelo Corelli .

Gurn,
                                Aren't a herd of soprano's trotted out at the end of that 9th symphony by Beethoven that you seem to like so much ,don't they usually wear outlandish dresses and sing very high and loud notes? Do you have to cover your ears?
                                Muriel
                                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                                X