No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me after a frustrating day at work and another heartstopping, nail biting Tim Henman victory at Wimbledon - he does like to put us through the wringer - its a cathartic blast of the Boss's Missa Solemnis (John Eliot Gardiner - no relation sadly) followed by a chillout with Mozart's 20th and 21st Piano concerti played by Murray Perahia. Though maybe when I head for Texas heat in a couple of weeks time it will need to be the final scene of Don Giovanni to help me acclimatise!

------------------
    Beethoven the Man!
    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
      For me after a frustrating day at work and another heartstopping, nail biting Tim Henman victory at Wimbledon - he does like to put us through the wringer - its a cathartic blast of the Boss's Missa Solemnis (John Eliot Gardiner - no relation sadly) followed by a chillout with Mozart's 20th and 21st Piano concerti played by Murray Perahia. Though maybe when I head for Texas heat in a couple of weeks time it will need to be the final scene of Don Giovanni to help me acclimatise!

Judith We must talk very soon As you know I have been a bit perdue recently and not even replying to your E mails

------------------
      Love from London
      Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
        Amalie
        Currently, I have the Mass in C often on my tracklist, it's beautiful!
        In the afternoon, suddenly a disk of Hummel crossed my way and I got it...
        Quintett for Piano, Violin, Viola, Violoncello and Kontrabass. Op.87

P.
        Ah, yes, Humblebee! Oh, some nice kammermusik too! You are so fortunate to not live in a hick town such as I do. Notice this is the same ensemble as friend Franzrl later uses in "Die Forelle Quintett" Ja?

For me, no mass nor singing of any kind, it is instead some very young Wolferl, the Cassation (Serenade, truly) in D major - K 62a. I must say, this lad shows promise.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

MOZART: Serenata Notturna. K239
          English Concert.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I have this morning a yodely mood.
            Ludwig van Beethoven: different Folksongs
            Wolfgang Amadée Mozart: Canons

~Gauli Mauli~

Comment

Amalie,
              Such a nice little serenade. Beauty!

P.
              As you notice above I finally understood you! That is such a rarity. Someday you shall have to entertain us all with some nice Mozart canons!

FOr me this lovely morning, Symphony in c minor - #1 - Op 68 - Johannes Brahms. Proves that just because something is not Beethoven, it can also be "not bad".

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn
                I know, we both will go oneday on a pilgrimage from Vienna to Scottland. Only we and our lyric-books...

Now, no singing, just listening:
                Schubert, Symphony #2
                Beethoven, Mass in C

I love it!

Comment

My own Fantasia in D major for orchestra, and my computer plays it quite well .

Then I'll go to his own 9th .

------------------
                  "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
                  "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

P.
                    Well, we shall also be carrying golf clubs, as I won't go to Scotland without playing golf. That would be like going to Vienna without little brown sausages and beer, just not done!

Rutr.
                    How splendid to be able to listen to music you wrote yourself!

For me, I continue on my trek through the symphonies of Brahms, right now, just playing the splendid introductory bars of the #3 in F major. Alright!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mozart Fantasy in C minor K 475.
                      Was the idea here for the music to sound
                      extemporized,how old a form is this?
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        Mozart Fantasy in C minor K 475.
                        Was the idea here for the music to sound
                        extemporized,how old a form is this?
                        space(d),
                        Yes. Although the primary element is that it is not a sonata, or structured form.
                        The oldest Fantasias that I have seen are for solo violin by Telemann, although I doubt that he invented the form (although maybe he did!), so it goes back into the Baroque some way. I shall see if I can nail it down further.
                        Now, the Symphony in Eb - #3 - Op 10 - Antonin Dvorak. Real music here, my friends!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 06-29-2004).]
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A new CD

Beethoven's Symphony no.7, arranged for wind octet and string bass, by the Netherlands Wind Ensemble. They say that "it is believed that Beethoven himself oversaw this arrangement".

Well, they can believe whatever they want to believe. I simply don't agree.
                          An interesting experiment I would say, but vastly underpowered.
                          I much prefer Beethoven's symphonic form!

On the same CD - Octet in E-flat major Op.103

Piano Quintet in E-flat major Op.16, played by Peter Donohoe.

Both lovely pieces!

------------------
                          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-29-2004).]
                          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Frederica:
                            At the moment I'm listening to Beethoven's Violin Romance Nr 2 Op 50 (Henryk Szeryng, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink). There's also B's Violin Concerto on this CD. - It's JUST GREAT!
                            Frederica
                            Nice choice (the VR #2) Frederica! I just heard that piece recently on classical radio and it is just great as you say. I notice you're from Austria. What part of Austria do you live in?

------------------
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-29-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                              A new CD

Beethoven's Symphony no.7, arranged for wind octet and string bass, by the Netherlands Wind Ensemble. They say that "it is believed that Beethoven himself oversaw this arrangement".

Well, they can believe whatever they want to believe. I simply don't agree.
                              An interesting experiment I would say, but vastly underpowered.
                              I much prefer Beethoven's symphonic form!

Amalie, I have heard this piece myself with winds and the first time I heard it I was really surprised at how different it sounded. I must say I prefer the symphony piece better but I also was so interested in this other piece as well. Very interesting to hear something so different to my ears especially for the first time.
                              For me on this day was Mozart's Symphony #31 and his Wind Divertimento K 253. Then Beethoven returns with his Piano Sonata #28, lovely.

------------------

Comment

Amalie,
                                Well, it would not be unprecedented for B to have done such a thing, he personally did the Symphony #2 as a Piano Trio, which is even fewer forces than the harmoniemusik group! I'm not saying he did, because I havent' run across it anywhere even in Biamonti, which lists the Sym #2 and also the PC #4 for Piano Sextet which B also did himself to perform at Prince Lobkowitz's if I remember correctly. The thing is, I have no record of him ever transcribing for wind ensemble, so I am... cautious about it. Tell you what, send me the disk and I shall listen and think about it and let you know

Joy,
                                Great choices. I really like that little series of wind divertimentos that Amade composed in that pre-Paris era, 4 or 5 of them that are gems.

For me, I almost matched Joy with the Symphony, only mine is the #29 in A major - K 186a. Academy of Ancient Music.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment