What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to right now?

To get things started earlier today on Public Radio it was Beethoven's Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Op 24 "Spring" with Itzhak Perlman, violin and Vladimer Ashkenazy, piano. What a way to 'wake up' in the morning! Later on it will be Leonore Overture #3! Also today Beethoven’s Triumphal March (for Tarpeja) with Conductor Bela Drahos and the Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia Orchestra. Can’t say I know this one very well. Does anyone know some history behind this rarely played piece?
    A big day for Beethoven on radio today!!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    To get things started earlier today on Public Radio it was Beethoven's Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Op 24 "Spring" with Itzhak Perlman, violin and Vladimer Ashkenazy, piano. What a way to 'wake up' in the morning! Later on it will be Leonore Overture #3! Also today Beethoven’s Triumphal March (for Tarpeja) with Conductor Bela Drahos and the Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia Orchestra. Can’t say I know this one very well. Does anyone know some history behind this rarely played piece?

A lot of music today, Joy! Sounds great, like enjoying the pool, lieing on a rubber island with cool drinks and some titbits?
    Listening to Schubert's Symphony #8, D759

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joy:
      [B]To get things started earlier today on Public Radio it was Beethoven's Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Op 24 "Spring" with Itzhak Perlman, violin and Vladimer Ashkenazy, piano. What a way to 'wake up' in the morning! Later on it will be Leonore Overture #3! Also today Beethoven’s Triumphal March (for Tarpeja) with Conductor Bela Drahos and the Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia Orchestra. Can’t say I know this one very well. Does anyone know some history behind this rarely played piece?

Joy,
      For the fascinating history of the the Tragedy Tarpeja by Christoph Kuffner, visit page ->> http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Oeuvres_P...n-Tarpeja.html

Note: Tarpeja, Wo0 2.no.2, Entr' acte in D major (Now thought to be from the opening of Act 11 from Leonore, 1805).

This evening I am relaxing with Beethoven's SEPTET in E-flat Op.20

SEXTET in E-flat Op.81b

STRING QUARTET Op.18, no 1,
      This piece was inspired by the scene in the burial vault of Romeo and Juliet.

A superb recording, beautifully played by , The Nash Ensemble.

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-20-2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Beethoven's Violin Sonata in C minor opus 30 no 2.
        Golf is just a game.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          Beethoven's Violin Sonata in C minor opus 30 no 2.
          Golf is just a game.

Space,
          Just a game??!!?? That's like when you say "Beethoven's just a composer". I know I promised not to report that back to the gang here, but you leave me no choice! At least you are listening to good music, not your usual Chopin. And I looked into that rumor that you were trying to start about Chopin being black? I don't think so. Now, what was that about golf?!?

Joy,
          I imagine that is a nice version of an excellent sonata. It and its littermate (Op 23) are my favorites in a hard-to-pick-a-winner contest. I don't know a lot of the history of Tarpeja beyond that it was a drama by Christoph Kuffner and B wrote some incidental music for it in 1813. As it happens, I have the same version, and quite enjoy it.

Amalie,
          I have The Nash doing the Septet, and also the Clarinet Trio Op 11 along with Schubert's Octet, an excellent recording. I really like those less well known wind chamber pieces like Op 81b.

P.
          Ah, 8th Symphony. I am supposing this hit closer to the mark for you than the Korngold. I don't think I would be so enthusiastic about that lineup of tunes either. But I swear to you, the Violin Concerto is really good!

Well, I have just finished listening to the little known wind chamber piece Sextet for 2 Clarinets, 2 Horns & 2 Bassoons in Eb - Op 71 - The Master. Played by Charles Neidich & Mozzafiato, a HIP group. Then, I listened to the Concerto in Eb for Fortepiano & Orchestra - #5 - Op 73 - also The Master, Robert Levin & the OR et R/Gardiner - Another HIP group. Crikey, Rodney has taken me over!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

What's about that 'Black Mozart' I have heard he was white? Or green? If you talk about a floged ball - Football?
            And groups and bands, what's about the Hanover and the amazing one?

I got no handicap with Schubert's Symphony #3 D200, Riccardo Muti, Wiener Philharmoniker
            and now the first one D82...

Comment

P.
              Well, you can twist flog or golf any way, but it never ends up 'football', if there was a goalie though, it might be more interesting! And I have never seen a golfer yellow carded either, more's the pity.
              I have yet to hear the Hanover play the amazing piece, I HAVE heard them play Schubert's 8th though, and it is quite special. I must say, you are probably still the only European member of the Forum who is still up listening to music at this time! Very impressive endurance, you are like a Schwarzenegger! I expect you to work out that pun completely!
              For me now though, it is the Sonata in G amjor - #25 - Op 79 - After which, is Les Adieux, which I also say Good Night,
              to wake up early to the lovely 9th

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It seems, I'm also the earliest '€' this Sunday morning!
                Great start with Rossini's Serenade for Strings and Orchestra #6 on radio.
                Now Schubert, Symphony #5, D485
                Then some Mozart Canons and 'The Musical Joke' ~good mood sounds~

Gurn, how could you know that I am such a steeled muscle-man? I'm amazed... I'll be back...

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 06-20-2004).]

Comment

Sunday morning listening:

From where the heaven's song pours forth,

BEETHOVEN'S Mass in C major.
                  I especially love the beautiful, gentle pastoral opening of 'Kyrie eleison'

An excellent recording by, COLLEGUIM MUSICUM 90, under the direction of Richard Hickox.

Beethoven's intimate thoughts about his Mass were expressed to the famous Leipzig publishers:

I think that I have treated the text in a manner in which it has rarely been treated.

Notwithstanding the utterly frigid attitude of our age to works of this kind, the Mass is espicially close to my heart.
                  ------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-20-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                    It seems, I'm also the earliest '€' this Sunday morning!
                    Great start with Rossini's Serenade for Strings and Orchestra #6 on radio.
                    Now Schubert, Symphony #5, D485
                    Then some Mozart Canons and 'The Musical Joke' ~good mood sounds~

Gurn, how could you know that I am such a steeled muscle-man? I'm amazed... I'll be back...

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 06-20-2004).]

P.
                    Yes, you are no doubt all those things, although I was thinking more of "black ploughman" (Schwarzenegger) instead in honor of you hick town living now, I couldn't take one from Amalie and call you Hick-ox could I
                    Now, big surprise, this morning I am listening to "the mighty 9th", a more traditional version, Chicago Symphony / Solti - Such power! And then to flog... er, golf!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:

A lot of music today, Joy! Sounds great, like enjoying the pool, lieing on a rubber island with cool drinks and some titbits?
                      Listening to Schubert's Symphony #8, D759

Right you are, Pastorali!! That's exactly what I'm doing today. Enjoying Ludwig by the pool and spa side!! Which includes some nice, cool drinks and some snacks as well. Pretty good living. Last night I enjoyed listening to the Heroic 3rd Symphony. Today again is a Beethoven day. Piano Concerto #2; Piano Sonata #7; Violin Sonata #7; Cello Sonata #7; nd Piano Sonata #17. Our classical radio station relaly knows how to pick 'em!

------------------

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Amalie:

Joy,
                        For the fascinating history of the the Tragedy Tarpeja by Christoph Kuffner, visit page ->> http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Oeuvres_P...n-Tarpeja.html

Note: Tarpeja, Wo0 2.no.2, Entr' acte in D major (Now thought to be from the opening of Act 11 from Leonore, 1805).

Thanks, Amalie for that information. I had no idea!! Fascinating story!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Now, big surprise, this morning I am listening to "the mighty 9th", a more traditional version, Chicago Symphony / Solti - Such power! And then to flog... er, golf!

That Chicago/Solti version is a great rendition of the 9th! Have a good time listening to it this beautiful Sunday morning and playing a round of golf! How was your flog/golf game, good game, I trust?!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-20-2004).]

Comment

Afternoon lisztening.

LISZT piano transcription of BEETHOVEN'S Pastoral symphony, 1st mvt. played by Glenn Gould.
                            Much prefer the orchestral version!

LISZT Romance Oubliee, Nobuko Imai/Roland Pontinen.

TELEMANN Die Donner-Ode, performed by the Collegium Musicum 90, under/Richard Hickox.
                            In commemoration of the Lisbon earthquake in 1738.

JONN TAVENER, Beautiful song for Athene, as sung at Princess Diana's Funeral, by the Westminster Abbey Choir.

A beautuful piece from Ludwig:
                            Elegischer Gesang, Op.118

You have ended as gently as you have lived,
                            too holy for the agony!
                            No eyes shall weep
                            because the divine spirit has returned home.

Count Pasqualati first entered Beethoven's life in 1804 when the composer rented an apartment in his house on the Molkerbastei:
                            Beethoven continued intermittently to live there until 1815 In 1811 Pasqualati's wife, Eleonore died at the age of 24, probably in childbirth. Three years later Beethoven composed this 'Elegiac song' for chorus and strings orchestra as a mark of affection for Pasqualati.
                            The author of the text is unknown; perhaps it was Pasqualati himself.
                            A very heartfelt comforting piece.

Beethoven again:

Meeresstille und Gluckliche Fahrt

[Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage]

Profound silence reigns over the water,
                            the ocean lies motionless,
                            and the dejected sailor sees nothing,
                            but calm surface all around.
                            Not a breath of air from anywhere!
                            Awesome hush of death!
                            In the immeasurable expanse
                            not a single rippling wave.

The fog, disperses,
                            the sky is clear,
                            and Aeolus loosens
                            the fearful bond
                            The wind murmurs,
                            the sailor gets busy.
                            Make haste! Make haste!
                            The waves are parting,
                            the horizon draws closer,
                            land is in sight.

The sea obviously is taken as a metaphor for death when it is becalmed, there is the pradoxical notion that disturbance on the surface in fact leads to a safe haven.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-21-2004).]

Comment

Joy,
                              Oh yes, wonderfully nice day, I went out particularly early so I could get back in time for the Open, and it had the pleasant side effect of letting me beat the heat. As you know, our heat here in Texas doesn't take prisoners, much like your's except humid too. Thanks.

Amalie,
                              That is certainly a nice bunch of poetry, I don't know how I would like it as singing, but it certainly reads well, perhpas one could read it in one's head while another plays the lovely B tune on the piano...

And now for me, the Fantasia in c minor for Piano, Orchestra & Chorus - Op 80 - Levin / Gardiner et al. Splendid!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment