No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all the time singing some naughty Canons. Gurn, you would love me forever, if you could hear me!
    But now Schubert: String Quartet D353

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      TJ,
      Both of your posts intrigue me. Reckoning how a creative genius works, any of them, not just Mozart, has always been to me one of the great mysteries of life. My guess is that those vast multitudes of us who are NOT such will never be able to understand, we are comdemned to mere enjoyment Oh, BTW, I am from Texas, my friend, please do not take it amiss if I get a hearty chuckle from your complaints of heat!
      As for the Serioso, my estimation is that it sits squarely on the boundary between mid-period and late period, I tend to think of it as the first of the late period quartets because it shares some structural things, but also just the sound of it is more late period, which is totally subjective, but valid for me. I love it, I probably play it more than any other B quartet.

But right now, it is a different B quartet which has me occupied, the #12 in Eb - Op 127 - Geez, this is good stuff!

Thank you Gurn for your entertaining and enjoyable post I accept your view about the "heat"in London!! I have English friends who, until recently, lived in Grapevine, Texas. Their tales of the searing heat always overwhelmed me by listening alone but they loved the freedom of the 'Big Country' They are now in New England which sounds far too conservative for an old London Rock and Roller like me, although a visit to Tanglewood is high on my 'must do' lists

Love to America!!

------------------
      Love from London
      Love from London

Comment

Joy,
        Oh, that was yesterday. Today, I did listen to the 9th and went to the golf course but it was raining so hard that I packed it in and came home. Knowing what a die hard I am, you can imagine how hard it was raining. In Texas. In June!!! Amazing! Hope you enjoyed Fidelio. I have transcriptions of 10 pieces for "harmoniemusik" (wind octet) that demonstrate just how splendid that music is, even without the singing!

space(d),
        Corelli! Splendid! I quite enjoy that Op 6, particulalry the piece called "Christmas Concerto". I think the nice thing about the 9th, the way B scored the voices was brilliant, he didn't allow the ladies to caterwaul unaccompanied, and the men tend to overwhelm them, so it all works out.

Pastorali,
        There is nothing I would rather do than sit on an Alp with a large tankard of pilsener and some of those little brown sausages and sing Mozart canons with you.

TJ,
        Well, I lived a stone's throw form Grapevine for 7 years, and I can assure you they were not exaggerating. Where I am now doesn't get quite so hot, but much more humid, so it is a tradeoff. But as a point of interest, I was born and raised in New England (Vermont, actually) and I can tell you without doubt, rumours of conservatism are greatly exaggerated. After all, they produced me? Go, you will LOVE Tanglewood, it is a unique experience.

For me right now, it is the Variations in C major for Piano on a Theme by Haibel - WoO 68 - by the Variation King!
        Have a nice evening, ya'll!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A new and interesting piece for me this morning by,
          Wojciech Kilar: Choral Prelude,
          played by the Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra/cond. Wojceich Rajski.

( rather reminiscent of Henryk Gorecki, I thought)

On more familiar ground with
          BACH: Motet - Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied, BWV 225. The Chorus of Swiss-Italian Radio and Ensemble, under Diego Fasolis.

------------------
          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-28-2004).]
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I start my week with Franz Schubert's 'Death & the Maiden', D810, Melos Quartett. Superb!

Comment

Amalie,
              Whew, starting the week with singing, you are a brave woman!

Pastorali,
              Aren't the first 8 bars of that opening as fiery as anything you ever heard musically?

For me, I start the week with the lovely soanta in D major for Violin & Piano - #1 - Op 12 #1 - L v Beethoven - Excellent!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Diabelli variations--Pollini. Very nice!

Comment

Diabelli Variations,William Kinderman,very nice.
                  Has anyone read Mr Kinderman's book on this subject?
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                    Diabelli Variations,William Kinderman,very nice.
                    Has anyone read Mr Kinderman's book on this subject?
                    space(d),
                    No, is it just on the Variations? Sounds interesting. He does a nice job on the Op 34 & 35 variations in his "Beethoven" book.
                    Right now, it is the Op 24 "Spring" sonata for Violin & Piano. Kremer & Argerich. Excellente!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sounds like everyone survived the weekend! It's been quite a busy day for me Beethoven wise. The Rondino for Wind Octet Op 25 featuring the Mozzafiato ochestra. And the Piano Sonata No. 13, this is an historical performance with Artur Rubinstein, piano. Very beautifully played. That Rubinstein could sure tickle the 88's! Also Piano Concerto #1.
                      Also heard an interesting program on public radio featuring Baroque music and the conductor was telling details about each piece and it's composer between the performances. Very interesting. Played
                      Corelli music and, as mentioned before in a previous thread, Handel's Concerto Grosso #6. Beautiful stuff! Also heard today Handel's Concerto Grossi #2 I Musici.

------------------
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-28-2004).]
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Gurnerator,
                        Kinderman's book is a companion to his Hyperion recording Beethoven's Diabelli Variations ,Oxford University Press 1987.
                        I understand he teaches music here at The University of Victoria.Someone told me that there is a lot of Beethovenalia in the University Music Library,I wonder if any of is is on display for the public to view. I'll look into it .

I pulled out that "Fatto per la Notte di Natale" arranged and played by Red Priest.
                        That last movement the "Pastoral" is gorgeous.
                        Muriel
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Joy,
                          Yeah, survived to work another day! I have that Mozzafiato recording, I really like the sound of it. Quite HIP. I have heard that Rubinstein is great, oddly despite all the recordings I have, I don't have one of his. I really must correct that

Space(d)
                          Gotta watch what people tell you, they are subject to say anything! So that CD and book were sold as a set? Do you have them both, or just the CD? My only two Diabelli's are Brendel & Barenboim, I wonder if there is a fortepiano version out there somewhere. I have never seen one, have to ask Rod.

Right now though, it is the super 3rd movement of the Sonata in G for Piano & Violin - Op 30 #3 - This is some good stuff!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

At the moment I'm listening to Beethoven's Violin Romance Nr 2 Op 50 (Henryk Szeryng, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink). There's also B's Violin Concerto on this CD. - It's JUST GREAT!
                            Frederica

Comment

Radio.

SCHUBERT: Late piano sonata in B-flat D960
                              very well played by a Norwegian pianist, Leif Ove Andsnes. (with two encores).

ALBRECHTSBERGER: Harp concerto in c major.
                              Paul Kuentz Chamber Orchestra.

BIBER: Sonata no. 14
                              The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
                              from the Rosary Sonatas.

BEETHOVEN: Late Piano Sonata Op.111

As is my wont I like to close the evening with BEETHOVEN'S Mass in C major.

------------------
                              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-28-2004).]
                              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                                As is my wont I like to close the evening with BEETHOVEN'S Mass in C major.

Amalie
                                Currently, I have the Mass in C often on my tracklist, it's beautiful!
                                In the afternoon, suddenly a disk of Hummel crossed my way and I got it...
                                Quintett for Piano, Violin, Viola, Violoncello and Kontrabass. Op.87

Comment

Working...
                                X