What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joy,
    You're right, that Tchai was great. And so is Marche Slave. I really like Tchai, I wonder why more people don't. As for the Kakadu Variations, they are, as Rutr. says, actually "Variations on "I'm Cockatoo, the Tailor" ("Ich bin der Schneider Kakadu") from the opera "Die Schwestern von Prag" by Wenzel Müller. I went into that piece thinking from the title that it would be easy and carefree. Really isn't, is it? The cello in the first few variations sounds like it's playing in church!
    For me, some midday Mozart, the Symphony in D major - #30 - K 186b - Academy of Ancient Music. Excellent!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven String Quartet in C Sharp Minor, op. 131 (NAXOS recording - the "Kodaly Quartet").
      It's beautiful.

Comment

now it's the string quartet in a minor - op. 132.
        also beautiful!

the last movements of both quartets in particular

Comment

Thank you R and Gurn for that explaination on The Kakadu. It is a beautiful piece but not that easy, you're right about that. Gurn, I also enjoy Tchaikovsky's music very much! Later on public radio they're going to play some of his music from The Nutcracker.
          C: The two string quartets you mentioned are very beautiful pieces. For me this afternoon it was Mozart's Symphony #27 and Haydn's Symphony #40.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-25-2004).]

Comment

A simply marvellous pianist pouring his everything into the Maestro's Piano Concerto 4 Stephen Kovacevich Sir Colin Davis conducting the BBC Symphony

------------------
            Love from London
            Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              Ruud,
              That sounds splendid, let us know how they are. If someone gave me an LP. I would be lost what to do with it!
              For me, start the morning with the remarkable progressive Sonata in F major - #1 - Op 5 #1 - L v B. One wonders where he got the idea for cello & piano sonatas, there is no known precedent for them. ???

Gurn,

My fortune turned in bad luck as I headed home and found out that our record-player doesen't work anymore...I STILL haven't heard them *sigh* but then again ALL good comes to those who wait..
              In the meantime I've been listening to some chopin nocturnes on a original PLEYEL AND Erard from the 19th century *around 1840* which sounds MARVELLOUSLY..and ofcourse our master..his 5 pianoconcerto's performed by C. zacharias.and I've been playin *not listening but still VERY rewarding* the raindrop prelude op.28 nr.15 by chopin...Träumerei by schumann..für elise..the 1st movement of the 14th sonata *moonlight* and some lovely Bürgmuller etudes..
              I've just returned from our local musicband *sort of a fanfare* where whe played some parts of the valancian widow by khatchaturian and the ouverture Orpheus in the underworld arrranged for windorchestra.
              NICE evening

regards,
              Ruud

Comment

Carlos Kleiber and the water-tight Staatskapelle Dresden ravishing through Der Freischuetz.

------------------
                "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)

[This message has been edited by Rutradelusasa (edited 06-26-2004).]
                "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Joy,
                  You are quite welcome. Information and music are all I have to share, but I do it gladly.

TJ,
                  That sounds just splendid! I have several disks of Kovacevich playing under his nom de piano, Stephen Bishop. He is really super in Brahms, BTW.

ruud,
                  What a blow for you! That is just what i was saying about ME, couldn't think what to play them on, but I didn't think it would be also YOUR problem. Anyway, you have a great lineup of things to play. I would be quite curious to hear some Chopin played on an Erard. Never have done. Perhaps someday I shall find a disk.

For me, it has been the interesting Quartet in C major for Flute & Strings - K 285b - W. Amade Mozart. James Galway doing the honors with the Tokyo String Quartet. Next up though, it is time for some Beethoven. First it will be Notturno in D major for Viola & Piano - Op 42 - after that, who can say...?

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    [B]
                    Space,
                    Just a game??!!?? That's like when you say "Beethoven's just a composer". I know I promised not to report that back to the gang here, but you leave me no choice! At least you are listening to good music, not your usual Chopin. And I looked into that rumor that you were trying to start about Chopin being black? I don't think so. Now, what was that about golf?!?

Ha, Gurn! Chopin may have not been black, but his piano pieces definitely lead everyone into current-day jazz piano, and probably jazz itself! But one doesn't have to be "black" to do jazz (actually I thot someone just tested a lot of people's dna and found that everyone actually is descended from someone in East Africa). And the "Black Mozart" is a cat named du Chevalier who played violin and composed music in France in the 1700's. Well, he was a human male, not a cat... Anyway, I digress. Listening to a general sampling of Bach, right now. Chou.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                      A simply marvellous pianist pouring his everything into the Maestro's Piano Concerto 4 Stephen Kovacevich Sir Colin Davis conducting the BBC Symphony

Oh Tony! don't you just love that?
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Another busy working week flown by and welcome to the weekend!
                        Friday night retired to bed with Beethoven's Mass in C Major.

Saturday morning listening -

HANDEL'S majestic music for the Royal Fireworks/Colleguim Aureum.

A whirlwind energetic piece from SHOSTAKOVICH - Festival Overture Op.96
                        Russian National Orchestra/Mikhail Pletnev.

MOZART Divertimento, E-flat major.K252
                        Amadeus Winds/Christopher Hogwood.

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS - Mysterious, enegmatic, elusive, profoundly rooted in ancient English landscape
                        Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis, for double string orchestra. London Philharmonic Orchestra/ Sir Adrian Boult.

Have a great weekend everyone!

------------------
                        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-26-2004).]
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Today is all Mozart starting with two Divertimenti K131 and K287. Then it is on to "Le Nozze Di Figaro" this afternoon.

Comment

I'm listening to Mozart too. Some of his lovely early Symphonies, momentary K. Anh. 223 (19a).

Comment

Pastorali, Mozart's Symphonies, always very nice!
                              Amalie, I heard Mozart's Divertimento the other day, love it! Happy weekend to you too!
                              It seems a lot of members are listening to Mozart again today and I'm no exception.
                              This day it's Mozart's Piano Concerto #24 by
                              the Scottish Chamber Orchestra with Charles Mackerras, conductor and John O'Conor, piano.
                              Delightful! Also later on Beethoven's Piano Sonata #17 "The Tempest" and his Symphony #4 will be performed on radio!! Good listening on a Saturday afternoon!!

------------------

Comment

Whew, I slept late this morning, can I catch up with you all?

I.L.L. -
                                Yes, Chopin was very influential on later piano styles. I much enjoy to listen to him, however it was important to chastise spaceray at the time, so I made believe otherwise As for the black DNA, you will find in the thread "Was Beethoven Black?" that I said exactly the same thing, that if you go back far enough in time, we are ALL black. It is no big deal to me, I think it would be the least of my problems! Bach is good. Listen on!

Amalie,
                                Quite a span, Handel to Shostakovich! I like that RVW too, although I prefer "LArk Ascending", it is the nearest he got to my favorite genre, the violin concerto.

King,
                                The whole opera? Just listening to the overture wears me out. The busiest little 4 minutes in all opera. Anyway, K 287 is a peach, no?

space,

Pastorali,
                                Listen to how much more is going on in that symphony compared to the Eb, K 16. It is amazingly more to me. Our little Wolferl grew up fast, I think.

Joy,
                                Oh, the c minor, beauty! Tell me, how does Mr. O'Conor do on this so nice piece? I already know that MacKerras does a great accompaniment, he frequently makes a recording go from good to great, no matter the soloist. Enjoy. I am already deciding which version of the Ode to You that i will begin tomorrow with

For me right now, it is Beethoven, I don't follow you all back into Mozart's time (!) the Quartet in f minor - Op 95 "Serioso". Seriously beautiful.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment