No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caro mio Druck und Schluck! KV571a - I had of course my usual howling season this morning with some Wolfrl Canons. I feel always great after such sessions!
    Now, my newest hauls are making me busy:
    A disk with Overtures: Egmont, Wilhelm Tell (a Swiss must have that piece), Hänsel & Gretel, etc. and the work why I purchased it: Smetana - 'The Sold Bride'
    Then: String Quartets by Mozart, some by Haydn and finally a disk with Vivaldi Concertos.
    I just lean back and laze around today...

Comment

P.
      Ho, lazy guy. At least you are listening to some good music. One wonders how a disk came together with Beethoven AND Rossini on it? Perhaps it was special for the Flemish and Swiss? Oh, I must tell you. On the Smetana, we would not translate that word literally as "sold" but rather "Bartered" which means, of course, "sold" and yet it goes better with bride because they both start with "B"

For me this morning, some splendid Dvorak - the Symphony in D major - #6 - Op 60 - Excellente.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn
        You know, what a gentleman I am. I never would treat a bride like this, so I couldn't know that thanks anyway

Per me, String quartettos di Milano, la nummero due. Grandioso! Naturalemente Mozarto.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
          Gurn
          You know, what a gentleman I am. I never would treat a bride like this, so I couldn't know that thanks anyway

Per me, String quartettos di Milano, la nummero due. Grandioso! Naturalemente Mozarto.
          Well P. you know how those Bohemians can be! This is why they are called Bohemian, which means, literally, "bride sellers". Nah, I'm lying

But I have finished up with that other great Bohemian for now, Herr Dvorak, and moved ahead to a Bavarian instead. It is the Symphony in A major - #3 - Op 56 - "Scottish". Can't hear any laddies or lassies singing Burns in this one though.

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 06-30-2004).]
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The Symphony in C major - #2 - Op 61 - Robert Schumann. Trying to find some Beethoven influence here.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Tonight, tonight... its Bernstein's West Side Story with Kiri te Kanawa and Jose Carreras. Silly how a middleaged Spanish bloke and a matronly New Zealender pretending to be a teenage Italian-American and Puerto Rican respectively can still make me cry especially with "One Life, One Heart" - and there's also the sublime Lena Horne with "Somewhere" and Tatiana Troyanos as Anita - fabulously funny in "America" and dramatic in "A Boy Like That". Really cool!

------------------
              Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 06-30-2004).]
              Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Enjoyed reading everyone's posts today. As for me I listened to Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings with the Tokyo String Quartet. Earlier on it was Beethoven's 5th!! Ba-Ba-Ba-Baaa!!

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                  Tonight, tonight... its Bernstein's West Side Story with Kiri te Kanawa and Jose Carreras. Silly how a middleaged Spanish bloke and a matronly New Zealender pretending to be a teenage Italian-American and Puerto Rican respectively can still make me cry especially with "One Life, One Heart" - and there's also the sublime Lena Horne with "Somewhere" and Tatiana Troyanos as Anita - fabulously funny in "America" and dramatic in "A Boy Like That". Really cool!

I will never forget how my sister and I danced and sang our way through our adolesence to the original recording of this
                  in the sixties.
                  When this album came out 15 or so years ago I was thrilled to go down memory lane with it,we bought for eachother for Christmas that year.I'm not sure if I could even listen to it now.
                  Muriel

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

C.P.E BACH: Flute Concerto in B-flat major.
                    Robert Atkin {flute} , CBC Vancouver Orchestra.
                    I believe written for Frederick the Great.

BEETHOVEN: Variations and a Fugue on a theme from Prometheus, Op. 35, {Eroica}.

Wunderwerk!

------------------
                    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
                      Nice stuff. One question though, is there ANYTHING that CPE Bach didn't write for F t G ? It must have been a nice thing to have your own pet composer! And esp. a good one. Oh well, makes Rod's motto ring that much more true "If I were..."

For me, my own pet composer, the lovely and talented W. Amade Mozart, Divertimento in F major - #10 - K 247 - And I AM diverted, so it still works!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        I will never forget how my sister and I danced and sang our way through our adolesence to the original recording of this
                        in the sixties.
                        When this album came out 15 or so years ago I was thrilled to go down memory lane with it,we bought for eachother for Christmas that year.I'm not sure if I could even listen to it now.
                        Muriel

I know what you mean about maybe not listening to it again. I believe that I won'y ever listen to at least half of my record collection that I used to listen to and enjoy in my earlier years. I could probably get rid of all of them and never miss them. Funny how things change.

------------------

Comment

For me via radio I heard early this morning The Chairman Dances by John Adams with conductor Simon Rattle and orchestra C.B.S.O. What an irritating way to wake up in the morning!! Ugh!! Later on though I heard Ave Maria (Angelus Domini) by Franz Biebl and that saved the morning. Absolutely beautiful! Also on tap Haydn's Piano Sonata 54 played by Alfred Brendel; Mozart's Symphony #23 and later on, Gurn, Beethoven's own Violin Concerto Opus 61! Should be a good day!!

------------------

Comment

Joy,
                            A good day indeed! I agree about Cage, I think his best work was 4'33" !
                            Right now though, it is Amade again, this time the Serenade in D major - #7 - K 250 "Haffner". Must have been nice to have friends that one could turn tp when one needed a tune or two for an affair, eh?

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Vaughan Williams , " Serenade to Music"

Comment

I listened today to Chamber music by Nepomuk Hummel - I just like his music

Comment

Working...
                                X