No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medtner's Sonata No.10 (Op.38 No.1) "Reminiscenza" in A minor.

And Medtner's Piano Concerto No. 2

Just finished listening for the first time to the 2nd Sonata of Medtner. It is just wonderful.

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 04-22-2006).]

Comment

I'm listening the Huelgas Ensemble play the 32 variations sur "La Spagna" by Constanzo Festa (1490-1545).

What an amazing story! From the tenor of a basse danse known as "La basse danse de Spayn", succintly "La Spagna", (containing 37 notes) that was used as a cantus firmus on which musicians playing dance music based their improvisations, Constanzo Festa composed 125 contrapuncti! from wich 32 were selected for the recording.
      In the notes is said that in the contrapunctus 104, the upper voice is an ostinato in E-F-D-A (mi-fa-re-la), vowels of name of the Queen of Spain (I-s-A-b-E-ll-A), and the tenor on the ostinato D-E-F-C (re-mi-fa-ut), vowels of the name of the King (f-E-r-d-I-n-A-n-d-U-s).

Comment

Symphony No.7 yesterday and again today. I seem to be having a binge :-)
        I am woman. Hear me roar!

Comment

Franz Schubert
          7th Symphony in E major D.729
          as realized by the Schubert scholar Brian Newbould
          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Shostakovitch String Quartet No. 15 (Op.144) and Medtner Piano Sontata No.7

Comment

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, only because I'm trying to invoke some fairer weather! Did anyone see the recent BBC drama about this? I found it quite enjoyable but thought the 'riot' was a bit of a let down, I was expecting a good punch up!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, only because I'm trying to invoke some fairer weather! Did anyone see the recent BBC drama about this? I found it quite enjoyable but thought the 'riot' was a bit of a let down, I was expecting a good punch up!

I should be doing this, too!! I love Rite of Spring!

Comment

Today on NPR radio they'll be playing Beethoven's Violin Concerto with violinist Gil Shaham at the Smetana Hall in Prague, with the Czech Philharmonic. Zdenak Macal conducts.

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Schubert - Piano Sonata in B Flat, D.960 (Brendel)

Comment

This evening I listened to a piano concerto of one I consider the most underrated major composer of the 19th Century: Dvorak. It's a pity that the first 6 symphonies of his are not in common circulation.

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Schubert - Piano Sonata in B Flat, D.960 (Brendel)
                        Ah I love this one.

Right now I'm absorbing Charles-Valentin Alkan. Listening to the Concerto for Solo Piano Op. 39 No. 8-10

This work, especially the first movement (29 minutes alone) belongs right beside Liszt's Sonata in B minor.

[This message has been edited by Nightklavier (edited 05-08-2006).]

Comment

Carl Nielsen's Violin Concerto (op. 33).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                            This evening I listened to a piano concerto of one I consider the most underrated major composer of the 19th Century: Dvorak. It's a pity that the first 6 symphonies of his are not in common circulation.
                            I've just ordered another lesson from the Teaching Company entitled 'The Concerto' which in one of the lessons willl feature Dvorak's Cello Concerto in B Minor, Opus 104. The professor will probably talk about his Piano Concerto as well. These are wonderful tapes and I have several varieties of different musical genres already.

------------------

Comment

Also tonight on NPR will be a performance by a "14-year-old wunderkind Beethoven, barely a teenager when he wrote his Piano Quartet in E-flat, WoO 36, No. 1." The Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival, performance by Orion Weiss, Ani Kavafian, Paul Neubauer, and Fred Sherry.

------------------

Comment

Hello Joy. I do like this piece WoO36 No.1 a lot. It's very fine. What is NPR ? And at what time is it to be broadcast - this makes it early morning in UK - yes ?

Best wishes

Comment

Working...
                                X