What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joy:
    I've just ordered another lesson from the Teaching Company entitled 'The Concerto' which in one of the lessons willl feature Dvorak's Cello Concerto in B Minor, Opus 104. The professor will probably talk about his Piano Concerto as well. These are wonderful tapes and I have several varieties of different musical genres already.

Soon I will be listening to the Cello Concerto. And I will have to make another hearing of the earlier symphonies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
      Soon I will be listening to the Cello Concerto. And I will have to make another hearing of the earlier symphonies.
      Glorious is the word to describe this my favourite of all cello concertos - I think it was his greatest work! Of the Dvorak symphonies the 8th stands out for me.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree with Peter. The Dvorak Cello Concerto is quite wonderful. (There's a Rostropovitch/Guilini recording that is stunningly beautiful).

I'm a great lover of Dvorak's music. He wrote so many great things that are today little appreciated. His chamber music is always lovely. Quite apart from the 'New World Symphony' and the Cello Concerto are various operas (some written on his return to his own country) that contain lovely music. His 'Notturno' for strings is quite wonderful, so too a 'Romanze' for Violin and many dances. His music is charming, graceful and also very rich in its texture. He was hugely popular during his various visits to here to London. Great composer. I'm one of his fans !

Comment

I'm listening to Karol Lipinski, violin concerto nr. 1 . very nice. Given the possibilty of Karol Lipinski being my ancestor this is a very intresting piece.

------------------
          *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*
          *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Hello Joy. I do like this piece WoO36 No.1 a lot. It's very fine. What is NPR ? And at what time is it to be broadcast - this makes it early morning in UK - yes ?

Best wishes

Hi Robert, NPR stands for 'National Public Radio' and in Phoenix (Pacific Time) it is
            broadcast from 5:00pm to 7:00pm around midnight your time I believe.

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Dear Joy,

Thank you for this. I was reading a newspaper article today that the 10 days continuous broadcast last Christmas of the entire works of JS Bach was an immense success - the BBC having had no less than 3.1 million hits to their website over that period worldwide. The article also spoke of the hugely popular Beethoven symphony series (which allowed people to download the entire Beethoven cycle) and said that the recording companies were angry about the BBC doing this.

Cheers to the BBC !

The writer of the article also said that classical music, despite being so often dismissed as losing popularity, is in fact hugely popular when it is given sustained broadcasts (rather than fed to us in little chunks). This seems to be completely true.

One day someone at the BBC might finally give the green light for broadcast of the 'complete works of Handel'! That would be marvellous. Or, how about, 'the complete works of Telemann' ????

Regards

Robert

Comment

Great !

Thanks

Comment

Dear Joy,

Thank you for this. I was reading a newspaper article today that the 10 days continuous broadcast last Christmas of the entire works of JS Bach was an immense success - the BBC having had no less than 3.1 million hits to their website over that period worldwide. The article also spoke of the hugely popular Beethoven symphony series (which allowed people to download the entire Beethoven cycle) and said that the recording companies were angry about the BBC doing this.

Cheers to the BBC !

The writer of the article also said that classical music, despite being so often dismissed as losing popularity, is in fact hugely popular when it is given sustained broadcasts (rather than fed to us in little chunks). This seems to be completely true.

One day someone at the BBC might finally give the green light for broadcast of the 'complete works of Handel'! That would be marvellous. Or, how about, 'the complete works of Telemann' ????

Regards

Robert
                  And some think classical music is on it's way out?! I say cheers to the BBC as well!

------------------

Comment

Some time ago my brother sent me a copy of the Alban Berg Quartet playing the Op. 18 Quartets of Beethoven. I am currently listening to the finale of No. 1 and I am NOT disappointed with this recording! I think it is a very fine performance, indeed!

Comment

Later on the radio will be Franz Schubert. When he was 18 he wrote his third symphony over three months during the summer. Kurt Masur will conduct the New York Philharmonic.

------------------

Comment

Joy - the Schubert 3rd symphony - where ? where ? I wish I knew where and I would listen to it somehow. It's a charming, innocent, lovely work. It's such a treasure.

Best regards

Comment

Joy - the Schubert 3rd symphony - where ? where ? I wish I knew where and I would listen to it somehow. It's a charming, innocent, lovely work. It's such a treasure.

Best regards

I'm afraid you missed this one Robert, it was on last night on NPR radio. I missed it too as I wasn't home when it was on, I'll have to catch it next time.

------------------

Comment

Dear Joy,

I love that piece !!

Regards

Comment

New acquisition - Brendel's 1994-6 recordings of LVB's Sonatas 14. 8,23,26 WOW! especially on the 14 ( Moonlight) where after incredible depth in the first movement, he takes absolutely no prisoners in the third! Sure Ludwig would have loved it. Only wish this had the Hammerklavier on too but rather than amass individual volumes I guess I'll just have wait for the full set to hit a sale sometime.

------------------
                              Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 05-20-2006).]
                              Beethoven the Man!

Comment

There will be a Beethoven journey this week on NPR. Maestro Christoph Eschenbach joins the host today to introduce Beethoven's First Symphony, "the work of a 29-year-old who was already a musical revolutionary". And Eschenbach conducts the Philadelphia Orchestra in a concert performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 1.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X