What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    But it was 'Wellington's Victory' that was the perfect medicine for the Viennese audiences at this time, even eclipsing the 7th.

That is correct!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Beethoven's Journey continues today on NPR.
      Today it's Conductor Christoph Eschenbach talking about what he calls a "very special piece," a "gem" that he loves: Beethoven's Symphony No. 8. And Eschenbach conducts a concert performance by the Philadelphia Orchestra, from this past season in Philadelphia's Verizon Hall.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Beethoven's Journey continues today on NPR.
        Today it's Conductor Christoph Eschenbach talking about what he calls a "very special piece," a "gem" that he loves: Beethoven's Symphony No. 8. And Eschenbach conducts a concert performance by the Philadelphia Orchestra, from this past season in Philadelphia's Verizon Hall.

The 8th always occupies a special place in the hearts of Beethoven connoisseurs.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Reviewers seem to dislike the Eighth. Can someone provide help in appreciation of the Eighth?

------------------
          To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
          susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
          To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
          susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
            Reviewers seem to dislike the Eighth. Can someone provide help in appreciation of the Eighth?

What kind of help do you need here? You're already speaking to the converted!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-15-2006).]

Comment

Well, it's always been one of my personal 'close to my heart' favourites. Here's an article I found commenting on it:

"The premiere of the Eighth Symphony took place on February 27, 1814, at a concert at which the mighty Seventh Symphony (which had been premiered two months earlier) was also played. Beethoven was growing increasingly deaf at the time, but nevertheless led the premiere. Reports indicate that the orchestra largely ignored his ungainly gestures and followed the principal violinist instead.

Critics immediately noted that the Eighth did not reach the heights of its predecessor, launching a long tradition of complaining that Eighth Symphony is not something different (more heroic, more emotive) from what it is. However, many listeners seem to be able to enjoy the symphony anyway, and it appears frequently today on concert programs as well as on recordings."

------------------

Comment

If you just want some background info go to the Symphonies page of the main site here.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-16-2006).]

Comment

I've always felt that the 8th is the most structurally sound of all the symphonies--balanced harmonies, balanced sections, etc. In my opinion it represents the culmination of the classical era symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                    But it was 'Wellington's Victory' that was the perfect medicine for the Viennese audiences at this time, even eclipsing the 7th.

Dear Rod;

Not only was "Wellington's Victory" perfect medicine for the Viennese audiences, it was perfect medicine for Beethoven. It was easy for him to see that his music was well received and appreciated. So, when his close friends suggested to Beethoven that the time was right to fix "Fidelio," he leaped at the opportunity and the rest was history.

I often look upon "Wellington's Victory" as the spring board to "Fidelio."

Hofrat
                    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Via radio Beethoven's 'Moonlight' performed by Glenn Gould. I'm afraid he takes it too fast for my liking.

------------------

Comment

Another Beethoven piece on NPR tonight this time it's his "Overture to the Consecration of the House" written for the opening of a theatre in Josefstadt, Vienna. Placido Domingo conducts the Vienna Symphony Orchestra.

------------------

Comment

Paul Badura-Skoda playing Mozart's Fantasia in C minor KV 475 & Sonata in B flat major KV 333 in Mozart's birthplace on Mozart's own fortepiano (Anton Walter 1781). An authentic ( ) jewel.

Comment

Sorry, but I am hooked on Raff's symphonies. His 9th, entitled "Im Summer," in E-minor is unbelievable, especially the finale with its harvest hymn (not vocal but you definitely feel that it could be sung).

Hofrat
                            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Listening now to The Talich Quartet performing Beethoven's String Quartet in D Major, Opus 18, No. 3.

------------------

Comment

On NPR tonight a tribute to the French! "When the French Revolution broke out in 1789 Mozart wasn't too concerned. He spent his time writing a String Quartet for the king of Prussia." The St. Lawrence String Quartet will play Mozart's Quartet No. 21 in D at the 2006 Sanibel Island Music Festival.

On Bastille Day The Marseilleise started out as a patriotic rallying cry of the French Revolution, but quickly became the French National Anthem. Rolf Shulte will play tonight a solo violin version of it, written by Igor Stravinsky. Then in celebration for Bastille Day, will be Fetes (or Festivals) by Claude Debussy. Hugh Wolf will conduct the Juilliard Symphony.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X