No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am listening to a number of Mendelssohn overtures. They are very elegantly written and really relaxing to hear. And will shortly listen to Medtner sonatas again.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      There will be a Beethoven journey this week on NPR. Maestro Christoph Eschenbach joins the host today to introduce Beethoven's First Symphony, "the work of a 29-year-old who was already a musical revolutionary". And Eschenbach conducts the Philadelphia Orchestra in a concert performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 1.

I did not get to listen to the 1st symphony last night but I did listen to several other things on KBAQ (thanks, Joy) such as Gliere's 2nd Smphony and Borodin's 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I did not get to listen to the 1st symphony last night but I did listen to several other things on KBAQ (thanks, Joy) such as Gliere's 2nd Smphony and Borodin's 1st.
        Well, if you get the chance tonight will be Beethoven's 2nd Symphony. They're playing all 9 Symphonies over the next week and a half including discussion!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Well, if you get the chance tonight will be Beethoven's 2nd Symphony. They're playing all 9 Symphonies over the next week and a half including discussion!

I don't usually come to these chains very often but today I have on my mp3 player (oh how the times change!) B's cantata 'Der glorreiche Augenblick'. A rare piece on record but what a treat to the ears!

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Is there a schedule on-line for NPR's playlist?

------------------
            To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
            susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
            To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
            susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I don't usually come to these chains very often but today I have on my mp3 player (oh how the times change!) B's cantata 'Der glorreiche Augenblick'. A rare piece on record but what a treat to the ears!

Absolutely!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
                Is there a schedule on-line for NPR's playlist?

Just click on this and enjoy the Beethoven Journey!
                http://www.npr.org/templates/rundown...wn.php?prgId=4

------------------

Comment

Hello,

I'm listening to Mozards Zauberflöte now.

------------------
                  _www.tango-city.de_
                  _ www.tango-city.de _

Comment

Originally posted by Tango:
                    Hello,

I'm listening to Mozards Zauberflöte now.

Oh which recording? I've just got the new version conducted by Claudio Abbado which is wonderful.

------------------
                    Beethoven the Man!
                    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

1. Piano Sonata No. 12 in A flat, Op. 26
                      Maurizio Pollini

2. The City Gates Open, from The Wizard Of Oz
                      Herbert Stothart

Comment

After listening to Dvorak's Cello Concerto I am now listening to some A Cappella choral music by Penderecki.

Comment

I'm listening to a cd of Evgeny Kissin: Schubert Piano Sonata in B-flat, Schubert/Liszt Four Sngs, and Liszt Mephisto Waltz No. 1. The Schubert Serenade (Standchen, S560 No. 7, is as nice as anything I've heard. I'd heard this piece so many times I was heartily tired of it, and like so many beginning piano students, I'd played it myself (55 years ago?) This version is different, compelling, lovely.

------------------
                          susanwenger@yahoo.com

susanwenger@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
                            I'm listening to a cd of Evgeny Kissin: Schubert Piano Sonata in B-flat, Schubert/Liszt Four Sngs, and Liszt Mephisto Waltz No. 1. The Schubert Serenade (Standchen, S560 No. 7, is as nice as anything I've heard. I'd heard this piece so many times I was heartily tired of it, and like so many beginning piano students, I'd played it myself (55 years ago?) This version is different, compelling, lovely.

It's Schubert for me, as well. The impromptus. Lovely.

Comment

All this week on NPR it's Beethoven's 9 Symphonies! Tonight it's the 7th. Here's what they have to say,
                              "The Seventh Symphony's premiere concert was performed to benefit the soldiers wounded a few months earlier in the battle of Hanau. Viennese audiences, miserable from Napoleon's occupations and hopefully awaiting a victory over him, embraced the symphony's energy and beauty".

------------------

Comment

All this week on NPR it's Beethoven's 9 Symphonies! Tonight it's the 7th. Here's what they have to say,
                                "The Seventh Symphony's premiere concert was performed to benefit the soldiers wounded a few months earlier in the battle of Hanau. Viennese audiences, miserable from Napoleon's occupations and hopefully awaiting a victory over him, embraced the symphony's energy and beauty".

But it was 'Wellington's Victory' that was the perfect medicine for the Viennese audiences at this time, even eclipsing the 7th.

------------------
                                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                                X