No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently I 've been listening with my MP3 Player over and over again to the fabulous Idomeneo by Mozart, and selected songs from the song cycle "Frauenliebe" by Carl Loewe. I can't tell you how much these songs move me - some of the most beautiful and tender songs I ever heard. Also 2 slow movements from "Gadfly" from Shostakowich, my favourite "E-Music" from the second half of the 20th century with a most beautiful Tschaikowsky-like sound. Does anyone of you know these? (who is interested I can send the MP3)

Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel:
      Recently I 've been listening with my MP3 Player over and over again to the fabulous Idomeneo by Mozart, and selected songs from the song cycle "Frauenliebe" by Carl Loewe. I can't tell you how much these songs move me - some of the most beautiful and tender songs I ever heard. Also 2 slow movements from "Gadfly" from Shostakowich, my favourite "E-Music" from the second half of the 20th century with a most beautiful Tschaikowsky-like sound. Does anyone of you know these? (who is interested I can send the MP3)

Gerd

Dear Gerd;

I believe that Carl Loewe also wrote a song setting for "Erlkonig."

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I am listening to Sinfonie Nr. 6. I've got a day off so I moved to my sunny balcony with view of the snowy alpes. While sitting there it occured to me the Pastorale would be the perfect background music for this secenery. And it got me once again. Terrific terrific.

------------------
        *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*
        *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

Comment

Joseph Martin Kraus:
          Symphony in C with violin obligato.
          Symphony in C# minor.
          Symphony in E minor.
          Symphony in Eb (with both alternative slow movements).

Hofrat

Comment

Last night I wanted to listen to the 2nd movement of the Bruckner 7th, but after that I had to listen the the following two movements (regrettably I didn't allow time for the 1st). And now after that I just had to listen to his Te Deum today. And all was conducted by Bernard Haitink.

Comment

Septets by Hummel and Berwald.

Comment

6 Symphonies by CPE Bach. (A composer I like more and more).

Comment

Originally posted by RE Newman:

6 Symphonies by CPE Bach. (A composer I like more and more).

I am always delighted when his music is played on the local radio station.

Today, after listening to Leonore #3 and the overture to Hansel and Gretel by Humperdink, I am listening to Cherubini's Requiem in D Minor.

Comment

My first listening of Menuhin playing:

Lalo "Symphonie espagnole op 21"
                    Saint Saƫns "Violin Concerto 3, op 61", "Introduction & Rondo capriccioso op 28" & "Havanaise op 83"

On the first movement of Lalo, beautiful music but up to now it seems more a violin concerto than a symphony.

Comment

Today is Mozart's 31 & 41 symphonies (Hogwood's), since with a friend from time to time we share records to later comment them and this week's topic is quite astronomical: "Jupiter by Hogwood, Marriner & Pinnock".

Comment

Symphony in C by Dukas. Very interesting!!

Hofrat

Comment

I'm listening to the two CDs I bought the other day, both on EMI Classics label:

1. Beethoven Piano Variations - John Ogdon & Emil Gilels

2. Bach Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin - Nathan Milstein

Both outstanding. Milstein's recording of the partitas from the mid 1950s is sublime.

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                            Today is Mozart's 31 & 41 symphonies (Hogwood's), since with a friend from time to time we share records to later comment them and this week's topic is quite astronomical: "Jupiter by Hogwood, Marriner & Pinnock".
                            Wow that's some friend and some agenda! It would be very interesting to hear your conclusions - I have recordings by Jeffrey Tate and the ECO and the monumental ones by Karajan and the Berlin Phil which give radically different readings. At present I'm listening to a choral piece caled Nanie by Brahms which I'd not heard of before and which is quite lovely, this followed by a reading of his 4th Symphony - both from a magisterial set by Abbado and the Berlin Phil. Won't quite wean me away from my beloved Kleiber recording of the 4th but definitely leaves me ready to dispose of my Barenboim set of the Symphonies which I've never been satisfied with - too slow and balletic and not enough bite even in the 4th!

------------------
                            Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 03-31-2006).]
                            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

I'm listening to the Op.9 set of Vivaldi 'La Cetra' on vinyl in a very polished recording by the Academy of St Martin in the Fields, and also to the first two symphonies of Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Also Copland's 'Appalachian Spring'

Comment

Still with Mozart, today it will be the 4th violin concerto by Gremiaux (LSO, Colin Davis), Simon Standage (Academy of Ancient Music, Hogwood) & Menuhin (Philarmonia Orchestra, Pritchard).

Comment

Working...
                                X