What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are You Listening To Now?

Since the old thread is up to four pages thought I would start a new one! Later today, it'll be Beethoven's 7th Symphony!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Alexander Glazunov 4th Symphony (lovely first movement and perhaps his best symphony)

Comment

Carl Maria von Weber's Dances for Piano. Very nice!

Comment

I've come across a videotape of Bernstein conducting the Vienna Philharmonic (1970) in Beethoven's Ninth, and to my surprise, a young Placido Domingo is the tenor. The tempo of the first movement is a bit slower than we've gotten this decade, but this is a very nice tape indeed!

- Susan

------------------
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Mozart's Die Zauberflote!

Comment

Some years ago John Eliot Gardiner conducted the Beethoven 9th at the Lincoln Center in New York in a televised program. Fortunately, (for me) I was able to record that and yesterday in copying the old vhs to a dvd I was able to listen to parts of the recording and it was certainly a very outstanding performance, fast tempi and all!

Comment

Anton Kuerti performing Beethoven's Piano Concerto in C Major.

Saw it live this past weekend with Diedre Irons soloing. Amazing work.

Comment

Later it will be on NPR from Grieg Hall in the city of Bergen, the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra performs Beethoven's "Consecration of the House" Overture with conductor Aldo Ceccato.

Also Beethoven's piano concerto #3 which was one of his piano conertos that won a Grammy last night!

------------------

Comment

Lindblad's 1st and 2nd symphonies.
                  "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

LVB Piano concerti # 4@5 played by Wilhelm Kempff with the Berlin Phil and Ferdinand Leitner

------------------
                    Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 02-09-2006).]
                    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Alexander Glazunov 4th Symphony (lovely first movement and perhaps his best symphony)

Don't know this work but you keep introducing me to unfamiliar repertoire which is nice! I've just heard Rott's symphony and it is an amazing piece - ok as Mahler recognised it is flawed (an overlong finale for example) but it has some wonderful music and that 3rd movement is a dazzling piece that is more like Mahler than Mahler himself in the corresponding movt of his 1st symphony!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Franz Berwald:
                        Symphony 3
                        Symphony 4
                        Tone poem "Elfenspiel"

Hofrat
                        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Today via radio Cellist David Finckel, and pianist Wu Han play Beethoven's Cello Sonata No. 3, Op. 69. It's a concert they gave at the University of Maryland.

------------------

Comment

Complete Mozart String Quartets - Talich Quartet, Forget the theorizing and academic arguing - THIS is what its really about - real genius to be celebrated and to be thankful for!

------------------
                            Beethoven the Man!
                            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Pianist Emanuel Ax playing Brahms's Intermezzo, Op. 117, No. 3.

And on NPR:
                              "Josef Haydn had his very own orchestra when he went to Esterhazy in 1761. Just imagine. Whatever he could think up, he could do. They were only 14 players, but they were all his, and what he chose to do for his very first piece was to write a showcase for the players to shine. His Symphony No. 6, "Le Matin" performed from Reykjavik, Iceland, where Rumon Gamba conducts the Iceland Symphony."

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X