Clear All

This morning:

Sibelius: Symphony No. 3

Comment

Listening to

Haydn: early symphonies
      Verdi: La forza del destino

Comment

During yesterday's lunch I heard a CD of Bach's Goldberg Variations performed by Trevor Pinnock on harpsichord. Of all the standard keyboard instruments harpsichord is most affected by my hearing loss. Much of the high pitched 'tinkly' sound characteristic of the instrument is muffled or lost to me. All instruments suffer to an extent but the 'heart' of modern piano sound, throughout much of its ranges, lies within frequencies at which my loss is relatively mild and can be somewhat compensated for by an increase in volume. (Middle "C" on the harpsichord and piano are of course the same frequency, differences in tuning aside. I'm talking overtones here, from which much of an instrument's characteristic sound is derived.)

During supper I heard disk one of Brautigam's Beethoven Sonata set, containing the opus 2 and 49 sonatas, for the umpteenth time. I think I'll give this disk a rest, having heard it so often the pieces are losing their edge.

At YouTube I listed to select works be Louis Moreau Gottschalk, a long time favorite I've not heard in years. Highlights include:
        The Banjo, performed by an unspecified pianist.
        Souvenirs d'Andalousie (unspecified pianist).
        Grande Tarantella, originally for piano or piano duo, here arranged for piano and orchestra. Reid Nibley / Utah Symphony / Maurice Abravanel.

Still at YouTube I heard this all-too-brief snippet from Mahler's fourth symphony at the Berlin Philharmonic channel. It's as beautiful a rendition as I've heard. Though but several minutes duration, my eyes misted long ere its end. BPO/Yannick Nézet-Séguin (a conductor new to me).

As an encore, I return to Gottschalk for his Concert Paraphrase on National Airs (of the USA) played on eight pianos.
        Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 02-05-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I find Gottschalk's music to be delightful. This morning:
          Borodin: "Petite Suite" (Orchestral version by Glazunov)

Good things come in small packages.

Comment

Diabelli Variations played by Stephen Kovacevich.

I vaguely remember an article I read many years ago about this piece, in which it was suggested that the listener might approach the work as a collection of bagatelles and need not worry too much about the variation aspect.

So I am listening to the above in shuffle CD mode and taking in each variation without reference to the preceding one. It's interesting, and it does make each piece stand out on its own.

Of course, it could be a complete waste of time.

Comment

This morning:
              Mozart: Symphony #4 in D, K 19
              Shostakovich: "The Gadfly," Op 97, "Youth (Romance)"

Comment

This morning:
                Stravinsky: "Three Little Songs: Recollections of Childhood" (1913)
                Schumann: "Kinderszenen," Op 15

Comment

I shall be listening to a lot of Grieg over the coming weeks as I found a real bargain at a Church fair - the complete works - 21cd box set for just £2. So far listened to the Piano sonata Op.7 (a pupil of mine is learning this piece) and the outstanding Ballade in G minor Op.24.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    I shall be listening to a lot of Grieg over the coming weeks as I found a real bargain at a Church fair - the complete works - 21cd box set for just £2. So far listened to the Piano sonata Op.7 (a pupil of mine is learning this piece) and the outstanding Ballade in G minor Op.24.
                    Great find, Peter! Does that include Op. 103? I located what appears to be a transcribed copy on IMSLP (scores were probably created with MIDI/Notational software from scans of originals). So far I haven't located any recordings of any of the pieces of that opus except for one and that was played on an organ.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      Great find, Peter! Does that include Op. 103? I located what appears to be a transcribed copy on IMSLP (scores were probably created with MIDI/Notational software from scans of originals). So far I haven't located any recordings of any of the pieces of that opus except for one and that was played on an organ.
                      I don't think so (there are some works not numbered), is it a song or piano solo? The Box set I have probably isn't as complete as I thought but it has a pretty comprehensive collection of his work, much of which is unknown to me.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't think so (there are some works not numbered), is it a song or piano solo? The Box set I have probably isn't as complete as I thought but it has a pretty comprehensive collection of his work, much of which is unknown to me.
                        Opus 103 is a collection of short piano pieces. I think that he later incorporated them into another opus, maybe 104 (can't remember which). I happened across them on IMSLP and have been learning them. They are very interesting pieces and possibly early ones.

Comment

Ghost Trio on period instruments- wow !

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2AUamAs7L4[/YOUTUBE]
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Isn't it great when that happens! I have some great classical/Beethoven LPs and CDs found at second hand book stores/ charity shops. In fact, virtuallyall of my music collection isn't bought "new"- some I also got from Ebay. The only "new" are my Amazon mp3 downloads! I think the only "new" I have is the CD I got from Beethoven Haus in Bonn.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                              Ghost Trio on period instruments- wow !
                              Sounds hauntingly wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                                Opus 103 is a collection of short piano pieces. I think that he later incorporated them into another opus, maybe 104 (can't remember which). I happened across them on IMSLP and have been learning them. They are very interesting pieces and possibly early ones.
                                I think they're designated under EG.103 not Opus which is why I couldn't find them - they are 9 early pieces (1858/9) under the title 'Ni barnestykker'.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X