This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    I think they're designated under EG.103 not Opus which is why I couldn't find them - they are 9 early pieces (1858/9) under the title 'Ni barnestykker'.
    That must be why I am having a hard time finding information about them; I keep searching under an opus number. The pieces are short but quite delightful.

This morning (to be on topic):

Mendelssohn: Octet

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Sounds hauntingly wonderful!
      Glad you liked it.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

This morning:
        Schubert: "Wanderer" Fantasy in C, D 760

A most wanderful work.

Comment

Recent listening:
          • Mozart's late Sonatas performed by Brautigam (CD)
          • select late Beethoven String Quartets performed by the Vegh Quartet (from their second, stereo CD set)
          • a CD of Gottschalk piano pieces performed by Alan Marks
          • part of AH's Ghost Trio YouTube link (I intend to hear it all)

My YouTube listening has centered around Gottschalk, rehearing favorite interpretations and auditioning new (to me) performances. Of the new discoveries, the one that stands out is this interesting rendition of The Banjo, arranged and performed by Cyprien Katsaris, recorded in concert. How he manages some of those wide leaps at his chosen tempo is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
            My YouTube listening has centered around Gottschalk, rehearing favorite interpretations and auditioning new (to me) performances. Of the new discoveries, the one that stands out is this interesting rendition of The Banjo, arranged and performed by Cyprien Katsaris, recorded in concert. How he manages some of those wide leaps at his chosen tempo is beyond me.
            Yes, he's quite the virtuoso, isn't he? He didn't even find Liszt's transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies difficult enough and felt compelled to add some extra notes to them! (These cannot be considered definitive interpretations of the Liszt transcriptions for that reason, but they are amazing and well worth hearing.) I really like this version of the The Banjo.

Comment

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDPI0UQgtGU[/youtube]

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                This morning:
                Schubert: "Wanderer" Fantasy in C, D 760

A most wanderful work.
                Indeed it is and the Liszt arrangement with orchestra works well to.
                I'm also listening to Schubert - the sonata in A minor D.845 and what a gem it is, really great.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQnpgEoRNI[/YOUTUBE]

Only Beethoven himself could play this better than Ronald Brautigam!!!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Beethoven: Piano Trio No.8 in 1 Movement in B flat, WoO 39. I listened to it over and over. It's really pretty. Simple, but very pretty.
                    Zevy

Comment

• Hal9000's YouTube Reger link. First Reger I've heard in ages. (I own nothing of his on disk.) Quite enjoyed it.
                      • A CD of Beethoven's first two piano trios performed by The London Fortepiano Trio on period instruments.
                      • A CD of Mozart pieces centered on the oboe. After having heard so much Beethoven lately I am surprised at how pedestrian much of this music, fine though it is, sounds in comparison. An enjoyable listen.
                      • A CD of Satie piano pieces played by Aldo Ciccolini. Satie is another composer I don't much listen to.
                      • A CD of music by John Philip Sousa performed by full orchestra rather than wind band. It contains a variety of Sousa works, many not marches though those are present. I must say that most of Sousa's non march works haven't aged well. They make for interesting curios of the popular music of a bygone era...and Sousa was immensely popular in his day...but aren't works for the ages. Additionally, to my bandsman's ears some of these pieces aren't as effective in their symphonic coating. Or so it seems to me.
                      • Beethoven Symphony No.3 in the Liszt piano transcription performed by Cyprien Katsaris. I am utterly amazed at how effective this transcription is. Only during a few brief passages did I feel that the piano did not do the Eroica full justice. I liked what I heard so well that I serious consider buying the set of Beethoven/Liszt/Katsaris symphonies on CD.
                      • Katsaris playing the Pathetique. This sonata was a favorite back when I knew only a few of them. It remains so now that I am acquainted with them all. If anything I think more highly of it nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                        Beethoven: Piano Trio No.8 in 1 Movement in B flat, WoO 39. I listened to it over and over. It's really pretty. Simple, but very pretty.
                        Oh I love this too! Listening to it myself now!
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Archduke Trio period performance!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq39Cj2mTtk[/YOUTUBE]

This was the last piece that Beethoven ever performed in public (in 1814). This makes it very poignant...

http://bf.press.illinois.edu/view.ph...s=1&f=br_2.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_T...28Beethoven%29
                          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 02-18-2015, 08:08 PM.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

This morning:
                            Strauss: "Der Rosenkavalier," Op 59 Suite

Comment

This morning:
                              Crusell: Clarinet Concerto #3 in B-Flat, Op 11

Comment

Triple Concerto, period performance!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKiZhbcWzT4[/YOUTUBE]
                                Ludwig van Beethoven
                                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                                X