Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link, Ed, I quite enjoyed that. While I was listening to the second part (and while trying to post the link to that) my internet went out temporarily, so that was a bummer.

Comment

Orchestrated Arrangement of Opus 131 "Cavatina" (Furtwangler, Berlin Phil, 1940)

Possibly my favorite orchestrated version of an LvB chamber piece.
      The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
        Orchestrated Arrangement of Opus 131 "Cavatina" (Furtwangler, Berlin Phil, 1940)

Possibly my favorite orchestrated version of an LvB chamber piece.
        It's my favourite string quartet movement within B's output.
        Nice link/performance, though I'm afraid I prefer my Beethoven "undiluted"

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
          LvB: Serenade for Violin, Viola & Cello in D major, Op.8
          I love the trilling/grace note motifs scattered around - very Mozartean IMHO - but as if Mozart had 5 cups of coffee beforehand!

Now, Webern: Movement for String Quartet from Roehre/Sorrano posting above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfbzKEw_TWM

Wow - this is quite different from the Webern I knew (thought I knew!). Nice.

Webern: String Quartet, op 28. This even has a beat, hehe....
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyHIG5rxo7s
          Thanks for posting the second link. I've been listening to that. Sometimes the score is distracting to the music (for me, anyway), but I'll probably have to give this another listen.

Comment

Today:

Casella:
            A Notta alta op.30a (1917 orch. 1920)

JSBach:
            Clavier-Büchlein für Anna Magdalena Bach 1722
            (i.a. early versions of Suites BWV 812-816)

Jolivet:
            Cello concerto no.1 (1961)
            Cello concerto no.2 (1967)

Comment

This morning woke up to the cacophony of artillery fire (noise?) used as music. Beethoven really should have used a jack-hammer or a chain saw in his Wellington's Sieg.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                This morning woke up to the cacophony of artillery fire (noise?) used as music. Beethoven really should have used a jack-hammer or a chain saw in his Wellington's Sieg.
                Absolutely, no wonder I think it the worst thing he wrote!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Absolutely, no wonder I think it the worst thing he wrote!
                  But that is not because of the artillery in the score!

Comment

But that is not because of the artillery in the score!
                    True!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Bruckner symphony no.9 again - it's never had the same appeal as the 8th to me, so I'm trying harder with it!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Bruckner symphony no.9 again - it's never had the same appeal as the 8th to me, so I'm trying harder with it!
                        They are certainly different, one from another. The climactic moment in the 9th is always a big thrill to me, especially as the work subsides in such tranquility minutes later. The 8th is one of the first that I became really acquainted with, so it always remains special in that respect.

Comment

True!
                          I actually like Wellington's Sieg, but not necessarily for the artillery, either.

Comment

I remember a few years ago somebody played "Wellington's Victory" on our national "classical" music station. It was during "drive-time" and after the artillery started up, he stopped the CD and apologised. He said he had never heard this work before and I got the impression that he thought the disc was faulty. (This is absolutely true.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              I remember a few years ago somebody played "Wellington's Victory" on our national "classical" music station. It was during "drive-time" and after the artillery started up, he stopped the CD and apologised. He said he had never heard this work before and I got the impression that he thought the disc was faulty. (This is absolutely true.)
                              I have heard recordings in which the artillery didn't sound very much like artillery, so I can readily imagine that sort of mistake happening. The one I heard this morning had unmistakable artillery!

Comment

I have a version coupled with the 1812 which uses real canons and you are advised not to play it too loud in case of damage to speakers - I thought it would be a good idea, but then this music you have to play as loud as possible, so I never play that CD!
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X