Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webern: Movement for String Quartet (Langsamer Satz (Slow Movement) for string quartet (1905))

Roehre, I note that there are two Quartets listed for 1905, one I assume is complete, and then this movement. Is this movement the one you recommended?

I found it very soothing, easy to listen to.

Comment

Tomás Luis de Victoria — Ego vir videns - lamentations for 5 voices
      Performer: Nordic Voices

CHANDOS CHACONNE CHAN 0763, Tr. 2

Beautiful music for early morning
      Last edited by Megan; 04-02-2011, 07:25 AM.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        Webern: Movement for String Quartet (Langsamer Satz (Slow Movement) for string quartet (1905))

Roehre, I note that there are two Quartets listed for 1905, one I assume is complete, and then this movement. Is this movement the one you recommended?

I found it very soothing, easy to listen to.
        Both are complete. One is (posthumously) called "Langsamer Satz"(/slow movement), as there is only Webern's tempo marking ("Langsam, mit bewegtem Ausdruck"), Moldenauer 78.

The other one (M.79, also only one movement) is headed by Webern himself as "Streichquartett", tempo marking "Düster und Schwer" (/"Dark and heavy") and provided with a motto by Jakobus Boehme, a 16C mystic. It refers also to a novel (Wille: Offenbarungen eines Wacholderbaumes [Revelations of a juniperus-tree]) and a painting by Segantini, called "werden-sein-vergehen"(Evolving-being-passing away). And this work opens deliberately [according to Webern's diary!] with the three-note phrase reminiscent of the "Es muss sein"-motive at the beginning of Beethoven's op.135.

Approximately 10 and 15 minutes of music respectively.
        Both I would strongly recommend to start exploring Webern's (chamber) music.

This mood you describe is prevalent in the vast majority of Webern's works from opus 6 onwards (according to Webern himself), how difficult to apprehend it sometimes may be.
        Basically Webern worshipped (Alpine) nature and mourned the loss of his mother in nearly all his works starting with opus 6.
        Last edited by Roehre; 04-02-2011, 08:39 AM. Reason: added link for the Alpen-triptych

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Tomás Luis de Victoria — Ego vir videns - lamentations for 5 voices
          Performer: Nordic Voices

CHANDOS CHACONNE CHAN 0763, Tr. 2
          Beautiful music for early morning
          It certainly is, and more especially these weeks, during Lent.

Comment

Next door's lawnmower combined with chainsaw
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

LvB: Serenade for Violin, Viola & Cello in D major, Op.8
              I love the trilling/grace note motifs scattered around - very Mozartean IMHO - but as if Mozart had 5 cups of coffee beforehand!

Now, Webern: Movement for String Quartet from Roehre/Sorrano posting above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfbzKEw_TWM

Wow - this is quite different from the Webern I knew (thought I knew!). Nice.

Webern: String Quartet, op 28. This even has a beat, hehe....
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyHIG5rxo7s
              Last edited by Ed C; 04-02-2011, 01:04 PM.
              The Daily Beethoven

Comment

That movement is the very video I listened to! I should have posted it, didn't think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Next door's lawnmower combined with chainsaw
                  Hey, I know that piece, at least the version without the chainsaw. I suspect I will be practicing that a lot in the next few months, much to the chagrin of my neighbors who prefer a little Beethoven with their Mozart.

Comment

Today:

Bortkiewicz:
                    Pianoconcerto no.1 in B-flat op.16 (1912)
                    Pianoconcerto no.3 in c op.32 (1927)

Casella:
                    Triple concerto for piano, violin, cello and orchestra op. 56 (1933)

Veress:
                    String quartet no.1 (1931)

Turnage:
                    Anna Nicole (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      Hey, I know that piece, at least the version without the chainsaw. I suspect I will be practicing that a lot in the next few months, much to the chagrin of my neighbors who prefer a little Beethoven with their Mozart.
                      I will gladly take chainsaw sounds over the country-jazz banjo band that practices behind my apartment outside - one time till 3 am.....
                      The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
                        I will gladly take chainsaw sounds over the country-jazz banjo band that practices behind my apartment outside - one time till 3 am.....
                        I'd move - try Downing Street London and you can have Brass bands rehearsing instead!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Schnabel playing The Appassionata - he certainly whizzes that finale! Actually it may be the poor recording but there isn't a great deal of clarity.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning (on the radio): George Szell's instrumental arrangement from Die Valkuire.

Also, Szell's arrangement of what I think was from a Mozart violin concerto to a cello concerto.

Comment

Debussy: String Quartet, Op. 10

Comment

Sessions Six Pieces for Violoncello Solo

Still working my way thru the book I'm reading on 20th Century music...some nice discoveries!

4/3 String Quartets Orchestrated (Mahler's Way)
                                Last edited by Ed C; 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM.
                                The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Working...
                                X