X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antioch Chamber Ensemble - Os Justi - Anton Bruckner
    (The mouth of the just shall meditate)

Last edited by Megan; 04-06-2011, 06:23 AM.
    🎹

Comment

Beethoven's symphony no. 7.

Isn't this the symphony that Sir Thomas Beecham likened to as a lot of Yak's jumping about? Well, maybe.
      Last edited by Megan; 04-06-2011, 12:30 PM.
      🎹

Comment

Tomorrow night I'm off to the Opera for Janackek's "Vec Makropulos" (The Makropulos Case, though here in Strasbourg it is billed as L'Affaire Makropulos). I don't know this work at all, perhaps I'll report back on it. Anybody familiar with this opera?

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Beethoven's symphony no. 7.

Isn't this the symphony that Sir Thomas Beecham likened to as a lot of Yak's jumping about? Well, maybe.
          Maybe in the last movement. But Tommy was not a great Beethoven fan, as far as I can judge. He said of the late quartets: "Written by a deaf man - best listened to by a deaf man".
          And I daren't post here what he once said to a woman cello player.

Comment

May I just say at this juncture that I am not a fan of Elgar's 'cello concerto, and that it has to do with a combination of obligatory exam work and the fact that I absolutely hate its sound world. But that is my problem.

Comment

Gorecki Symphony No. 3 "Sorrowful Songs" - Lento e Largo

🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                Gorecki Symphony No. 3 "Sorrowful Songs" - Lento e Largo.
                Ooh, it's been a while since I last heard that work. I used to like it (because it annoyed my then composition teacher Denis Smalley), but to be honest I've gone right off it, Megan ! But again, that's my problem. What do you think of it? Is your CD with Dawn Upshaw?

Comment

Ooh, it's been a while since I last heard that work. I used to like it (because it annoyed my then composition teacher Denis Smalley), but to be honest I've gone right off it, Megan ! But again, that's my problem. What do you think of it? Is your CD with Dawn Upshaw?

Well, funny you ask Philip, my husband bought the CD years ago, and someone happened to comment that it has a bit of a country & western twangy sound, and after listening for a while, all I could think of was country and western in slow motion. So, being not very keen on country & western I have gone off the CD a bit. Will have to look again to see who the singer was, I don't think it was Dawn Upshaw.
                  Last edited by Megan; 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM.
                  🎹

Comment

This morning:

Corelli: Concerto Grosso in F, Op. 6/6
                    Piccinini: Corrente
                    Moeran: Serenade in G (1947-8)

Nice selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      I have to be honest with you Roehre, I can't stand this work. I know it only too well (study, analysis, several concerts, CD). The problem is, as far as I am concerned, is that if it is played
                      too flippantly, it comes across as a random series of notes bashed out on the piano and hooted out on the flute. On the other hand, when played well, it come across as a random series of notes bashed out on the piano ... er ...
                      Nah, whilst I admire Boulez (yes Dude and EdC, really I do), this is one work where the total serial principle leaves me cold.
                      For me it's just an example that a flute/piano sonatina in serial-like style can be a rather nice and pleasant trifle
                      IMO it isn't any more than that (perhaps even Boulez might agree... )

Comment

Today:

Goedicke:
                        At War – from the Diary of a dead Soldier (6 improvisations for orchestra) op.26 (1915)
                        Horn concerto in f op.40 (1929)

Kirkor:
                        Cello sonata opus 7 (p.1947)

Schubert/Liszt:
                        6 Songs from Winterreise S.561bis
                        Marche hongroise S.425/2vi
                        Soirée de Vienne S.427/6iii

Comment

Listening to Bruckner's 4th Symphony (from the Finnish concert). Because it is late I will only get through the first movement and will have to catch the rest of this tomorrow. The first piece (it took a minute to find it) was Kraus' Sinfonia por la chiesa.
                          Last edited by Sorrano; 04-07-2011, 04:24 AM. Reason: Answered my own question.

Comment

Beethoven - Razumovsky 3 (Op.59/3) (Melos Qrtt) - quite possibly the WORST thing to put you in the mood for bedtime...

4/7 The 5th Symphony (Color Analysis)
                            The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Listening to different pieces by Mussorgsky.

It is a great sadness (in the musical world) that he did not write more music. He really had very serious feeling and was capable of writing great music. I wonder if he wanted to write more music or was he comfortable writing less music?
                              Last edited by Preston; 04-07-2011, 06:28 AM.
                              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Menuhin - Paganini Concerto No 1 - 3rd Mvt
                                Love this piece!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4UYX...eature=related

🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X