This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    I actually like Wellington's Sieg, but not necessarily for the artillery, either.
    Well, there's no accounting for taste, Sorrano!! Nah!

Comment

Today:

Bortkiewicz:
      Symphony no.2 in E-flat op.55 (1937)

Jolivet:
      Flute concerto (1949)
      Concert suite for flute and percussion (1966)
      Chant de Linos (1944)
      5 Incantations (1936)
      Serenade for wind quintet (1945)

Boulez:
      Sonatine for flute and piano (1946)
      Piano sonata nr.1 (1947)

cummings ist der dichter (1970; am I the only one who thinks that Boulez digested in this work Wagner’s Götterdämmerung [especially the Vorspiel, the scene with the Norns], Webern’s Augenlicht op.26 and Berio’s Sinfonia [especially the first 2 mvts])?

Dialogue de l'ombre double (1984/’85)
      Dérive (1985)
      Mémoriale (1985)
      Dérive 2 (2007)

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        Well, that could be a pleasant combination for a short while, though not for too long (not any longer than 4'33", in any case). That said, the thought of chainsawing your head, Peter, gives me rather a frisson, I must say. Add the smiley icon.
        Well I'm not surprised, extreme reactions to those you disagree with are obviously something you need to deal with - try calming yourself with the slow movement of Op.135 which I was listening to earlier, surely Mahler had this movement in mind when he wrote the finale of symphony no.3?
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today :
          a) John TAVENER : "Total Eclipse" (1999). The opening 3.5 minutes (not quite 4'33") with John Harle on sax and an extraordinary unnamed timpanist gives me goose bumps. The backing orchestra? The Academy of Ancient Music (with Paul Goodwin, conductor). Not music for sipping tea to, I must say. Could also be exploited for ear training / dictation.

b) Papa Haydn : String Quartet, Opus 20, N° 3, III Poco Adagio. A delight of harmonic perfection and simplicity.
          Last edited by Quijote; 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM. Reason: Poor spelling. And punctuation.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Well I'm not surprised, extreme reactions to those you disagree with are obviously something you need to deal with - try calming yourself with the slow movement of Op.135 which I was listening to earlier, surely Mahler had this movement in mind when he wrote the finale of symphony no.3?
            Oh, I'm quite calm Peter after my Haydn, thank you. My smiley should have indicated I was ribbing you. Did you not see that? Oh dear ...

Comment

Castaldi - "Dolci miei martiri"
              Guillemette Laurens
              Le Poème Harmonique
              Vincent Dumestre - theorbe & direct.

🎹

Comment

Well, there's no accounting for taste, Sorrano!! Nah!
                I do have my vices, you know. However, those do not make very loud sounds, so I have to have my artillery with a little music.

Comment

My "in-road" to Bruckner was the 4th, so that is my first love, so to speak.
                  Today it's difficult for me to pinpoint a favorite. The 3rd is another that I heard early on, in fact it may be the first that I heard at least partially (and that was on the radio). But the 8th I listened to in it's entirety, so I consider it the first. Did you see the link to the Bruckner discography (I think it was Roehre that posted that in the Lizstening thread)?

Woops, this IS the Lizstening thread!
                  Last edited by Sorrano; 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to needle the correct thread.

Comment

Yes Sorrano, I have the link to the Bruckner discography. Did you get the latest Bruckner 4th via the Finnish radio link?

Comment

Yes Sorrano, I have the link to the Bruckner discography. Did you get the latest Bruckner 4th via the Finnish radio link?
                      I haven't been there for a week or so, but thanks for the update on that; I will go check that out!

Comment

Just a bit of late night listening :
                        Cage, First Construction (in metal), 1939. A wonderful work for varied percussion instruments. Actually, Cage is not quite the bogeyman you imagine, you know. I can't list exactly the instruments played for you, but I don't think there is a chainsaw or a Texan cow bell. What a pity.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          Boulez: Sonatine for flute and piano (1946)
                          I have to be honest with you Roehre, I can't stand this work. I know it only too well (study, analysis, several concerts, CD). The problem is, as far as I am concerned, is that if it is played
                          too flippantly, it comes across as a random series of notes bashed out on the piano and hooted out on the flute. On the other hand, when played well, it come across as a random series of notes bashed out on the piano ... er ...
                          Nah, whilst I admire Boulez (yes Dude and EdC, really I do), this is one work where the total serial principle leaves me cold.

Comment

Just a bit of late night listening :
                            Cage, First Construction (in metal), 1939. A wonderful work for varied percussion instruments. Actually, Cage is not quite the bogeyman you imagine, you know. I can't list exactly the instruments played for you, but I don't think there is a chainsaw or a Texan cow bell. What a pity.
                            Lordy, you're harder to kill of than Rasputin, and he HAD a life!!

Comment

Ravel, Sonata for Violin and Cello

A mellow work from this remarkable composer.

Comment

Ernest Bloch- Piano Quintet No. 1
                                Apparently this uses quarter tones - and it actually still sounds good
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PBlTJJT6uc

Dude - That Ravel piece is a favorite of mine. Here's a pretty rockin' version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK33XhMLV1Q

4/6 The 7th Symphony (Color Analysis)
                                The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Working...
                                X