This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you Lisztening to now?

It seems like we have reached the 5 page rule already.
    So turning over a fresh score sheet as it were, we begin again.

This evening on BBC Radio 3, 19:00 . Elgar's Dream of Gerontius.
    Perfromed by The London Philharmonic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zt7km
    🎹

Earlier I listening to Dvorak's Ballad in D minor, very beautiful!
    🎹

Comment

Today:

Dopper:
      Ciaconna gotica (1920)

Piston:
      Flute concerto (1971)

Britten:
      Gloriana: symphonic suite op.53a

Comment

This morning:

Camille Saint-Saëns: Africa Fantasie

Teresa von Paradis: "Sicilienne"

Maddelena Lombardini Sirmen: String Quartet No. 1 in E Flat (the announcer remarked that she was called the "Goddess of music" by her peers.

Comment

Looks like you beat me to the punch this time Megan

While driving this morning I was listening to Anton Diabelli's Sonatina in G.
          Lovely!
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            This morning:

Camille Saint-Saëns: Africa Fantasie

Teresa von Paradis: "Sicilienne"

Maddelena Lombardini Sirmen: String Quartet No. 1 in E Flat (the announcer remarked that she was called the "Goddess of music" by her peers.
            Immediately I knew I recognised the name Teresa Von Paradis, the blind pianist - a remarkable person who it is well worth reading more about.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Theresia_von_Paradis
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              Immediately I knew I recognised the name Teresa Von Paradis, the blind pianist - a remarkable person who it is well worth reading more about.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Theresia_von_Paradis
              I wish her music was more readily available.

Comment

Alban Berg: Violin Concerto, "To The Memory of an Angel"

Comment

Today:

Brahms:
                  Violin concerto op.77 (arr.Lazic for piano as “Pianoconcerto no.3”)
                  Rhapsodies op.79
                  Scherzo op.4

Bortkiewicz:
                  Pianoconcerto no.2 op.28 (for the left hand, 1925)

Casella:
                  Scarlattiana op.44 (1926)

Aho:
                  Symphony no.15 (premiere performance) (R3: Po3)

A Symphony? Where are the symphonic argument, the structure, the inevitability of its development, the inevitable and therefore unavoidable climaxes?
                  It goes on. And on. And on. And on. And on. Without giving a sense of direction.
                  Episode after episode after episode seemingly without internal cohesion.
                  I am afraid there are similarities with Hovhaness symphonic writing: beautifully done, but symphonies? If this is a symphony of Finland’s leading symphonic composer, then may God help the rest.

Comment

Megan, I just caught your pun on the topic. Anyone do any Lisztening, yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      [...]
                      Aho:

A Symphony? Where are the symphonic argument, the structure, the inevitability of its development, the inevitable and therefore unavoidable climaxes?
                      It goes on. And on. And on. And on. And on. Without giving a sense of direction.
                      I am afraid there are similarities with Hovhaness symphonic writing: beautifully done, but symphonies? If this is a symphony of Finland’s leading symphonic composer, then may God help the rest.
                      My dear Roehre, having a bad day today?

Comment

Sometimes we need to be a bit more discriminating, man, and avoid some things. We can't like EVERYTHING, nor should we. What's the old saying...everything in moderation. This applies to music - a wide range of interests is desirable to avoid frustration and disappointment and, frankly, dullness for others!

Comment

Well thank you, The Dude, for the reminder, I had quite forgotten all about discrimination. Anyway, don't sweat it, I was simply engaging in a bit of light hearted banter with Roehre.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                            [...] Aho:

Yes Roehre, it's a pet hate of mine : composers today ascribing such titles as "symphony" or "concerto" to their works! By the way, I'm currently not writing my 7th Symphony in A/A-flat major.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              My dear Roehre, having a bad day today?
                              Not particularly worse than usually

Comment

Working...
                              X