• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dvorak
    Symphonic poem "The Golden Spinning Wheel"
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Listening to Bach's harpsichord concertos performed by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
        Dvorak
        Symphonic poem "The Golden Spinning Wheel"
        Didn't Saint-Saens compose something (tone poem) with a similar title (it escapes me). I wonder how the two works compare?

Haven't had much time for listening as of lately, but this weekend should give me ample opportunity!

Comment

I do not not know anything about the Saint-Saens work, but I just love the Dvorak work. One can actually hear the wheel spin in the opening measures.

Comment

I do not not know anything about the Saint-Saens work, but I just love the Dvorak work. One can actually hear the wheel spin in the opening measures.
            The work is called "Le Rouet d'Omphale" and here is a link that describes it. I'll have to listen to the Dvorak work sometime.

http://www.answers.com/topic/le-roue...-a-major-op-31

Comment

Sorrano, thanks for the link. The Saint-Saens piece is based on Greek mythology while the Dvorak piece is based on a Czech fairy tale as are all of Dvorak's symphonic poems.

Comment

...the Dvorak piece is based on a Czech fairy tale as are all of Dvorak's symphonic poems.
                Any particular reason for this Hofrat?
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Preston;

Not that I can discern. The stories were popular ballads in Czechoslavakia at that time. I certainly would not read these stories to a child because they are very gruesome, but one does not need to know the stories in order to enjoy Dvorak's artistry.

Comment

Thanks for the information Hofrat, .
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Listening to Schumann's rarely performed and unnumbered early symphony in G minor - very enjoyable.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Listening to Schumann's rarely performed and unnumbered early symphony in G minor - very enjoyable.
                        Was this a student work? I've been listening to the early Beethoven Quartets (Emerson String Quartet).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          Was this a student work? I've been listening to the early Beethoven Quartets (Emerson String Quartet).
                          It is an early work known as the Zwickau symphony written I think in 1829 and is incomplete but very promising. I really think Schumann is underrated as a symphonic composer.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sorrano;

Yes, the Zwickauer symphony is a work of Schumann's youth. The first movement was performed in the winter of 1832 while the composer was visiting relatives who lived in Zwickau, hence the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              It is an early work known as the Zwickau symphony written I think in 1829 and is incomplete but very promising. I really think Schumann is underrated as a symphonic composer.
                              I certainly agree with you on that! Perhaps the orchestration has been the biggest issue with Schumann's symphonies and I think of Mahler's re-orchestrations with respect to that. His symphonies are treasures, indeed!

Comment

I am listening to some Bulgarian folk music I got from a Bulgarian co-worker. Interesting - I'll have to digest it for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X