This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I am listening to some Bulgarian folk music I got from a Bulgarian co-worker. Interesting - I'll have to digest it for a while.
    Well that leads straight into Bartok, if that's your thing! He made real use of Hungarian, Romanian and Bulgarian folk music.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven's Cello Sonata a major Op 69.

I'm not too familiar with the 5 Cello Sonatas on two CDs, but soon will be.

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com
      http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Well that leads straight into Bartok, if that's your thing! He made real use of Hungarian, Romanian and Bulgarian folk music.
        Don't forget Kodaly!

Comment

Tonight I am listening to some solo violin music:

The 24 Caprices by Paganini, played by James Ehnes
          The Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin by Bach, played by Arthur Grumiaux

Comment

Tonight I am listening to some polyphonic settings of the Mass by Palestrina and Byrd, sung by the Tallis Scholars.

Comment

I am now listening to early Haydn string quartets played by the Kodaly Quartet. I plan to make my way through all the quartets this week in my continuing exploration of Haydn's music.

Comment

I am now listening to early Haydn string quartets played by the Kodaly Quartet. I plan to make my way through all the quartets this week in my continuing exploration of Haydn's music.
                I think you'll discover some really wonderful music, though I confess it's been a long time since I listened to the complete quartets. I used to take them out as boxed LP sets from the library as a 13 year old. I think you can really hear Beethoven in these, more so than the symphonies.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've been listening to some Beethoven Trios.

Comment

Going through a Schumann phase at the moment working through the piano music. I'm re-learning Fantasiestuck Op.12 at the moment and listening to Brendel's interpretation.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, I have just finished up the Haydn string quartets. I must say, this is the finest music I have heard from Haydn, with the possible exception of his oratorios. There are certainly shades of Beethoven to be heard in the later quartets. In fact, it made me want to go back and listen the Beethoven quartets as soon as I finished!

Well, my survey of Haydn's music is almost complete, with only one major class of works left - the piano sonatas. Can anyone suggest a good set?

Comment

Well, I have just finished up the Haydn string quartets. I must say, this is the finest music I have heard from Haydn, with the possible exception of his oratorios. There are certainly shades of Beethoven to be heard in the later quartets. In fact, it made me want to go back and listen the Beethoven quartets as soon as I finished!

Well, my survey of Haydn's music is almost complete, with only one major class of works left - the piano sonatas. Can anyone suggest a good set?
                        I knew you'd enjoy those quartets! As to the sonatas I don't have a complete set but I am tempted myself with Brilliant Classics which feature good performances on fortepiano at great value. The other alternative here is Ronald Brautigam but much more expensive. If you prefer the modern piano then I recommend Emanuel Ax, but he unfortunately didn't complete the full set. The alternative here is John McCabe.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I just returned from a recital where a young student of mine showed them how it was done by playing Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 20, Op. 49, No. 2. Well done!

Comment

Today being my birthday, I was treated to cream sponge cake (very bad for you) and red wine (can be good for you) and I listened to Haydn symphonies: Numbers 6 to 8 (known as "Morning, Noon and Evening" and extremely good for you).

Comment

Happy Birthday, Micheal! I listened to the 5th Beethoven Quartet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                                Happy Birthday, Micheal! I listened to the 5th Beethoven Quartet.
                                Yes the A major he modelled on Mozart's K.464 which he is known to have admired and indeed copied out. I'm listening to Berlioz's Harold in Italy and Beethoven's Razumovsky quartet no.1 which has always been a personal favourite of mine.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X