Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am listening to the Grosse Fuge this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      That should sort you out for the day, Chris.

Comment

Blimey, in the morning? I'm not sure I could face such a movement with my coffee and croissants, to be frank. Is there an optimum time to listen to such music, do you think?
        I give you a little foible of mine : to listen to B's late quartets and sonatas in the evening, with the lights off.

Comment

This morning Tchaikovsky Piano Concert, the famous one, Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto, Schumann's piano Concerto.

Wagner in the afternoon in, "Valkyrie", the movie. ;-)

Excuse this http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com it may get THIS PAGE picked up by the robots.
          http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Colgan View Post
            This morning Tchaikovsky Piano Concert, the famous one, Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto, Schumann's piano Concerto.

Wagner in the afternoon in, "Valkyrie", the movie. ;-)
            Another one with a big appetite for music in the morning. 3 major concertos in one go? How do you all do it? Is it the hormones or the steroids, I wonder ? Or perhaps you put it on as background music (in effect, reducing it to 'muzak')?

PS : The Tchaikovsky Piano Concert (sic), the famous one : as opposed to other, infamous one?
            Last edited by Quijote; 01-26-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Bruckner, Symphony N° 4 (the "Romantic"), Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic (1970 EMI recording). This is a continuation of my last posting on the "Karajan" thread. I have realised that this recording is not live (after reading the CD jacket notes), and now I understand what my ears had already told me : there is a distinct "timbral" rupture in the first movement of this recording which confirms that Karajan made various "takes" which were later edited ('mixed') in the studio. That it is clearly audible detracts from an otherwise pleasant (if leisured) reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                Another one with a big appetite for music in the morning. 3 major concertos in one go? How do you all do it? Is it the hormones or the steroids, I wonder ? Or perhaps you put it on as background music (in effect, reducing it to 'muzak')?

PS : The Tchaikovsky Piano Concert (sic), the famous one : as opposed to other, infamous one?
                For your information Phillip I stroll up and down listening to the Concertos. Saves me going outdoors in the cold. I feel it now my circulation aint :-) as good as it was.

The Tchaikovsky "famous" Concerto is heard far more often than the others. As you well know.

I also listened to Kate Bush singing, "Wuthering Heights", on youtube this morning.

I'm getting interested in the Irish soprano Margaret Sheridan because of http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com
                Heard her singing "Marble Halls" just awhile ago. Now I'm off to read a book, on the loo, "James Joyce", by Edna O brien.

How much do you owe me now?
                http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

For your information Phillip I stroll up and down listening to the Concertos. Saves me going outdoors in the cold. I feel it now my circulation aint :-) as good as it was.
                  Still, strolling up and down (and we hope, attentively listening) for the duration of 3 major concertos is a feat. And all that followed by a hefty dose of Wagner. Please forward me your doctor's name and 'phone number asap.

The Tchaikovsky "famous" Concerto is heard far more often than the others. As you well know.
                  I do. "Far more often" is an understatement. I would say practically exclusively.

I also listened to Kate Bush singing, "Wuthering Heights", on youtube this morning.
                  3 major concertos and Kate Bush? I admire your eclecticism, Maurice. Dare I say it is all part-and-parcel of your 'catholic' taste [pun intended]? Still, a pop song based on Emily Brontë's only novel is refreshing, given the dire state of much popular music today.

I'm getting interested in the Irish soprano Margaret Sheridan because of http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com
                  Heard her singing "Marble Halls" just awhile ago. Now I'm off to read a book, on the loo, "James Joyce", by Edna O brien.
                  Can't say I've ever heard of her (Sheridan). I hope you enjoy Edna on the loo. I take it you won't be listening to any music at the same time, will you? As to O Brien, I once read August Is a Wicked Month, but I cannot recall its content, though I vaguely remember finding her a writer worth discovering.

How much do you owe me now?
                  My dear Maurice, I believe you owe me considerable sums for your unattributed Beethoven portrait, which I told you to sell and send the funds to me. I am still waiting ...

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    Blimey, in the morning? I'm not sure I could face such a movement with my coffee and croissants, to be frank. Is there an optimum time to listen to such music, do you think?
                    I give you a little foible of mine : to listen to B's late quartets and sonatas in the evening, with the lights off.
                    It rather suits my Monday morning mood

Comment

It rather suits my Monday morning mood
                      Fair enough. I could help you really "enhance" that Monday morning feeling with other music, if you'd care for a list of alternative pieces.

Comment

Listening to the most excellent String Quartet Op. 18, No. 6.

Comment

Listening to the most excellent String Quartet Op. 18, No. 6.
                          Yes the fourth movement in particular is outstanding. Listening to the wonderful 'harp' quartet Op.74.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Last night it was the overture to Die Feen (sorry if my spelling is bad on that as I don't have it with me right now) and have been fortunate to pick up the complete Wagner operas on 5 CDs. (They are in MP3 format.)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              Yes the fourth movement in particular is outstanding. Listening to the wonderful 'harp' quartet Op.74.
                              Ha, I listened to that one immediately after Op. 18, No. 6.

It's the Chopin preludes for me this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                                Last night it was the overture to Die Feen (sorry if my spelling is bad on that as I don't have it with me right now) and have been fortunate to pick up the complete Wagner operas on 5 CDs. (They are in MP3 format.)

The complete Wagner operas on 5 CD's?? You mean the complete overtures to Wagner operas on 5 CD's!?
                                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                                X