This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Preston View Post
    Do you all feel that any of Bach's music was as deep as Beethoven's music during his late period? Also, how do you feel that Bach's music compares to Beethoven's middle period?

Thanks,
    Preston
    This really needs a thread of its own Preston rather than being buried here!
    Anyhow if by deep you mean profound then yes of course Bach's music is comparable to Beethoven's late works. I would say that Beethoven's music reached a spiritual zenith in the late works and we find this also in works such as Bach's B minor mass and the Matthew passion with which the Missa Solemnis bears favourable comparison.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

As a birthday tribute to Beethoven, I listened to various selections this morning (presented on the radio) including the Waldstein variations for 4 hands. There was a ballet, but I could not hear which one; it was not Prometheus and I don't think they said Ritterballet, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        As a birthday tribute to Beethoven, I listened to various selections this morning (presented on the radio) including the Waldstein variations for 4 hands. There was a ballet, but I could not hear which one; it was not Prometheus and I don't think they said Ritterballet, either.
        Great Sorrano! The Waldstein is one of my favourites! KBaq station here did play The Ritterballet today, very enjoyable!
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I heard some of the 6th symphony today on the radio. Mostly I have been going through the Haydn symphonies, and like the string trios and piano concertos, I really love them. A lot that sound similar and a lot that don't make an everlasting impression on the first hearing, but all of them enjoyable and none of them bad. I am in the 60's right now and so far I think my favorite is No. 48 - what a finale!

Another thing - I love the way this set is packaged (This is the complete Haydn Symphonies by Adam Fischer and the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra). It's black and simple, very sleek looking. It small enough that even with 33 CDs it's easy to take with you. Each CD is in its own cardboard slip, not paper, and the box itself is sturdy. The liner notes mention some interesting things and give a good overview without trying to go into a ridiculous amount of detail. And lastly, the symphonies are all in order. Most sets mix it up to minimize the number of discs, but either it didn't matter too much in this set or they didn't care. I find it very convenient that to listen to them in order I don't have to constantly swap discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Mostly I have been going through the Haydn symphonies, and like the string trios and piano concertos, I really love them. A lot that sound similar and a lot that don't make an everlasting impression on the first hearing, but all of them enjoyable and none of them bad. I am in the 60's right now and so far I think my favorite is No. 48 - what a finale!
            I'm glad you're enjoying them Chris - I think the symphonies in the 60s and 70s are less successful than the earlier ones and it's not until the 80s that Haydn comes back to his best.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning the radio presented Bach's English Suite (with French titles, of course).

Comment

Vaughan-Williams imposing Sea symphony.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter I have also been listening to a piece by Vaughn-Williams. His "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis".

Thank you for the reply about Bach, I will get back to you in a thread about Beethoven and Bach, eventually, but first I want to make a thread on "Beethoven: Religion and Spirituality", which will also probably be awhile- then will come the Beethoven/Bach thread.
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I've finished listening to the Haydn symphonies. A long but worthwhile experience. Aside from it being wonderful music on its own, I now have a much greater appreciation for the roots and development of Beethoven's own symphonies.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      I've finished listening to the Haydn symphonies. A long but worthwhile experience. Aside from it being wonderful music on its own, I now have a much greater appreciation for the roots and development of Beethoven's own symphonies.
                      You've now got the complete Haydn quartets and sonatas to get!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Way ahead of you - already got the sets picked out But I think I'll hold off on those until after the holidays - brain is currently overloaded with all this new music

Comment

Beehoven piano sonata, Op. 109
                          A wonderful rendition played by Dame Myra Hess .

Here is a youtube clip of ther playing the 1st movement of Appasionata, 1945. Couldn't find a clip of her playing Op. 109

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UNlyxn2Y4_E
                          ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            You've now got the complete Haydn quartets and sonatas to get!

Not thinking very straight at the moment (Boxing Day - or as we call it, St. Stephen's Day) but is 2009 the anniversary year of Haydn's death? If so, I hope he gets the recognition he deserves. I think he is the most underrated of the really great composers.

Comment

I'm starting on the Beethoven quartets, played by the Emerson Quartet. So far I've listened to the first.

Comment

Brahms's formidable Paganini Variations and delightful Op.76 pieces (especially the well known B minor Capriccio)
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X