No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guten morgen meine Freunde der klassischen Musik!
    Aufwachen! es ist Freitag

Fur mich Am Radio

Mendelssohn:
    Rondo Capriccioso, 0p 14,
    Jorge Bolet (piano)

Beethoven: Fidelio overture,
    Dresden Staatskappelle
    Bernard Haitink

Beethoven: Piano Sonata in F, 0p.10 no. 2
    Richard Goode (piano)

Haydn: Symphony no. 100, in G, 'Military'
    Royal Concertgebouw
    Sir Colin Davis

Haydn's friend -
    Johann Peter Salomon:
    Romance in D,
    Simon Standage (violin)
    English Concert.
    Trevor Pinnock, cond.

Haben sie einen schonen Tag!

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      Spacerl,

Atserri,
      Hmmm... interestig therapy, Chopin to get over Beethoven! I must try that. What I have read about Gould, that he actually hated Beethoven and Mozart and tries to deconstruct their works in his interpretations, pretty much puts me off. I heard a disk of his Mozart sonatas, and that sounded like an accurate description to me. However, I am very fond of his Bach, esp. the Goldbergs and the French Suites. Altogether too bizarre for this country boy, though. I really do like Ashkenazy in the B sonatas, but haven't heard much of the others so I don't compare them.

It's funny you mention Gould hated Beethoven (Mozart wasn't among his preferences, really). He didn't hated Beethoven, in fact after Bach, is the composer he performed and recorded more; but while his playing of Bach is generally distinguished (except some, ehem, eccentic interpretations), it doesn't happen the same with Beethoven. In fact he had a "Beethoven hate list" (and had it resumed in an interview) in which you could find many of Beethoven's more acclaimed works. Example (I've got here the cd): About the Hammeklavier sonata: "The most inconsiderate and probably least rewarding piece that Beethoven wrote for the piano... I've been determined to find some real reward on it..."

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Guten morgen meine Freunde der klassischen Musik!
        Aufwachen! es ist Freitag

Fur mich Am Radio

Mendelssohn:
        Rondo Capriccioso, 0p 14,
        Jorge Bolet (piano)

Beethoven: Fidelio overture,
        Dresden Staatskappelle
        Bernard Haitink

Beethoven: Piano Sonata in F, 0p.10 no. 2
        Richard Goode (piano)

Haydn: Symphony no. 100, in G, 'Military'
        Royal Concertgebouw
        Sir Colin Davis

Haydn's friend -
        Johann Peter Salomon:
        Romance in D,
        Simon Standage (violin)
        English Concert.
        Trevor Pinnock, cond.

Haben sie einen schonen Tag!

Nice programme amalie,
        I've just returned home and bought me some new cd's..Dvorak slavic dances op.46 and op.72 for piano a 4e mains..also the legends op.59 and the piece from the bohemian forest op.68 are included on this double disc..All originally a 4e mains and performed by ingryd thornson and Julian Thurber..the 1st one in on now...spicy music ....

Regards,
        Ruud

------------------
        Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Continuing on with Stavinski, this morning it is his "Firebird" suite and his Symphony in E-flat. The symphony is a very early work of Igor and has for it's model the music of Rimski-Korsakov who was one of Stravinski's teachers. The difference between the two works is like night and day.

Comment

For me, quickly away, it is the Divertimento in Eb major for 2 Horns & String Quartet - Hob. II:21 - Haydn - L'Archibudelli/Koster/Manrique. A genre that would continue at least through Beethoven (Op 81b), very pleasant and the natural horns really make this performance special.

Note to all: I am going away for a week, so I shall not be checking in this Sunday. You can be sure that I packed my 9th, VPO/Bohm this week, and plenty of music for the trip. Have a nice week all, and talk with you more or less on thte 12th.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm listening to Wagner orchestral works hoping that his epics and grandiloquence may give strength to work on friday afternoon I have Beethoven Hammerklavier piano sonata (no.29) to ensure an extra reserve of motivation.

Comment

Note to all: I am going away for a week, so I shall not be checking in this Sunday. You can be sure that I packed my 9th, VPO/Bohm this week, and plenty of music for the trip. Have a nice week all, and talk with you more or less on thte 12th.

Gurn, have a great trip. I, too, shall be away on vacation all next week. Nice to get away! Have also packed plenty of music for my trip as well! See you all next weekend and happy listening to all while I'm away!
                Still sticking around for a couple of days yet so for today I'm listening to Beethoven's Piano Concerto #4; Fur Elise; and his Symphony No. 4 with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Rene Leibowitz all via radio.

Muriel: yummy! Love that chocolate cake! Save some for me also! In tribute to Wolfie later on radio will be his Piano Concerto #24.

atserriotserri: I think I've heard that verison of Beethoven's "Appassionate" via radio with Rubinstein. I believe it's an historical performance. If it's the one I'm thinking of I enjoy it ever time they play it!

Amalie: Lovely selections as always. Particularly enjoy the Beethoven's Fidelio and the Sonata and also Haydn's Symphony #100.

[/b][/QUOTE]

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-03-2004).]
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy: A couple of days ago I was comparing the appasionata played by Rubinstein, Ashkenazy and Gould. One should run away from Gould performance, honestly. I have many records of him, I'm open minded for unorthodox or risky interpretations, but...

Anyway, concerning Rubinstein, I've been listening a cd of sonatas, adn don't know if there are other recordings of him, (my one is one of these RCA remastered budget-priced cds containing the pathetique, moonlight, apassionata & les adieux sonatas), would it be the same, I agree. It's a fantastic record, his playing is very sensitive, delicate and sensible in some passages and so strong and energic in others... I think he modulates perfectly his playing to the "feeling" of the partiture.

Comment

Atserri,
                    Hmm What I have read about Gould, that he actually hated Beethoven and Mozart and tries to deconstruct their works in his interpretations, pretty much puts me off. I heard a disk of his Mozart sonatas, and that sounded like an accurate description to me.
                    Gurn Blanston ,
                    Tell me now ,just where did you read that Gould 'hated'Mozart and Beethoven.This is not the sort of language to use when speaking of Gould's views of composers and their works.Here's a quote from K Bazzana's Wondrous Strange."Gould came to deplore middle-period Beethoven (too belligerent),Schubert (too repetitive),almost all of the super-sensual, virtuosic piano music of the early Romantics(Schumann,Mendelsshon, Chopin ,Liszt,and their conteporaries) and 20th century music in a similar vein:Rachmaninov for instance,was absolutely intolerable,except for a couple of late works like the Rapsody on a Theme of Paganini.He did not like the ballet,and considered opera,especially Italian opera,"rather less than music"
                    The music of Verdi and Puccini made him intensly uncomfortable."
                    Therefor given this long list of dislikes why don't we just say "Gould hated music"
                    Of course we won't say this it would be as ridiculous as your suggestion that Gould hated Mozart and Beethoven.
                    spacerl

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Spacerl,
                      As near as dammit anyway. All you need to do is to listen to his playing of them and it is obvious that he didn't love them!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

Wonderful performance from the Proms tonight, first half.
                        Mozart's Symphony no.41, 'Jupiter'
                        by the Dresden Staatskapelle
                        cond. Bernard Haitink.

Have a lovely holiday break Joy, Gurn also.
                        Hey, did I miss out on some chocolate cake?

------------------
                        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

No laughing...Johann Strauss and Stevie Wonder.
                          I am woman. Hear me roar!

Comment

Spacerl,
                            As near as dammit anyway. All you need to do is to listen to his playing of them and it is obvious that he didn't love them!

Why not just say Gurn hates Gould ,dammit,and leave poor old Beethoven
                            and Mozart out of it.

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

For me, quickly away, it is the Divertimento in Eb major for 2 Horns & String Quartet - Hob. II:21 - Haydn - L'Archibudelli/Koster/Manrique. A genre that would continue at least through Beethoven (Op 81b), very pleasant and the natural horns really make this performance special.

Gurn and joy,
                              I can only follow up on the long list of people wishing you a very nice holidays and wish that aswell ..I disagree however on the beethoven issue regarding gould,I've got a rendition of him playing the pathetique and I just LOVE it, it's SOOO vibrant and lively...
                              Btw..I bought today ALSO *I was in a buyish mood * emil gilels performing beethoven..6 cd's containing AL the concerto's and some of the more prominent pianosonata's I love the works so far but I was wondering what the good people from this forum hold of emil gilels....

Regards,
                              Ruud

P.s I want cake as well

------------------
                              Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

A nice Mozart day with Divertimentos, Serenades, Bassoon, Clarinet Concertos and Piano Sonatas

Comment

Working...
                                X