What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are You Listening To Now?

What? Five pages already? Looks like it's time to start another page.
    This afternoon I heard, via radio, Mozart's Rondo in D (for piano & orchestra) with the English Chamber Orchestra and Murray Perahia, piano. Later on Haydn's Symphony #90 and Beethoven's Piano Sonata #20.

Gurn, you listening to singing? What is this world coming too!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I've been listening these past days non-stop (read: all the time I have to listen to something) the 11-cd set of Bruckner's symphonies by Naxos.
    Highly recommended, well played (even though the orchestras don't match up to the conductor) and a fine addition to all Bruckner lovers out there. Each symphonie may have a beeter performer, but that depends too on the edition used, and this 11-cd set makes a fine coherent group of recording, that means that if you like one you like them all.

I'm listening now to his Sym. No.00 (Study symphonie). Very good, better than I expected.

------------------
    "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Joy,
      Well, I just don't know!! This strange compulsion came over me, it was like... like... nah, I'm lying, it was just the next one up in the order I picked for the day. Good stuff though, can't say otherwise. I have found that I can take men singing better than ladies, for whatever reason. But for everything else, ladies come first! Well, you had a good afternoon of listening. Bravo!

Rutr,
      I have the #6 in that set, and I must say, it is very listenable. Do those 11 disks of symphonies come in one of those white boxes? That would be a good deal, I think.

For me, it is Symphony in D major - #38 - K 504 - W. Amade Mozart. Academy of Ancient Music. Finest kind!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis, BBC Philharmonic

Mozart: Rondo in Bb, K269.
        Benjamin Schmid (violin)
        The Danish Radio Concert Orchestra.

Henri Marteau: Quartet No. 3, in C,
        Yggdrasil String Quartet.

Beethoven: Piano Sonata no.10 in G, 0p. 14 no.2
        Andor Foldes (piano)

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-02-2004).]
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Brahm's Hungarian Dances.
          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

On this bright sunny morning I have choosen to listen to Stravinski's Rite of Spring. This music will knock the socks off your neighbors. When first performed on May 29, 1913 in Paris it caused a riot where upon debris was thrown on the stage and punches were exchanged among the people in the hall.
            Shortly after the performance Igor Stavinski had a nervious breakdown. All this is more interesting when we realize the Dvorak was dead only 8 years and Brahms less than 20 years. Richard Strauss was at his zenith and those of you who love Ravel and Debussy you might be surprised to learn that they were among the people attending the premier. So.... chaos was till in bloom long after Beethoven and is still with us today, John Cage anyone??

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

Amalie,
              Always the first to rise, those worms must be good! What can you tell us about Marteau, he is totally new to me. Romantic? Modern? Hmmm... And that so nice sonata too. Good start to the day!

Hollywood,
              Piano or orchestra? Either was, good tunes. I have the orchestra versions, but would like to hear the 4 hand piano too. Brahms was good at that "gypsy" music, I think. Look at his violin concerto.

King,
              Always the cutting edge for you! I can well imagine the riot of the French. They don't handle change well, traditionally, which is of course why the guillotine was invented. No telling what they would have done to Cage in response to 4'33" of silence. A new killing machine, perhaps?

For me, it is the Konzertstück for Piano & Orchestra - Op 79 - Carl Maria von Weber - Gerhard Oppitz tickling the ivories (always loved that phrase)

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This morning I'm baking Mozart's favorite
                chocolate cake ,Zacher,a very dense sort of brownie with a chocolate glaze.Listening to The Divertimenti in D major K 131.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Gurn,
                  yes they do. And the performances are like that of the 6th to better. Actually, the 6th has the worst orchestra of the set.

------------------
                  "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
                  "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Today's menu consist:

Chopin waltzes & impromptus (A. Rubinstein) over & over again as a rest from quite a heavy session yesterday night with Beethoven sonatas.

I spent a couple of hours with the appasionata played by Ashkenazy, Rubinstein... and Gould! I love other performances of Gould, but when on the liner notes he is quoted "I'm not sure this performance is the most convincing, but surely is the most convinced" I don't know what he was thinking about. I'm quite open-minded to unorthodoxy, but seriosly: run away from his appasionata. Rubinstein and Ashkenazy: brilliant, more energic; Rubinstein: brilliant too, more subtle, perhaps more "elegant?", older recording too, a pity.

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                      Today's menu consist:

Chopin waltzes & impromptus (A. Rubinstein) over & over again as a rest from quite a heavy session yesterday night with Beethoven sonatas.

I spent a couple of hours with the appasionata played by Ashkenazy, Rubinstein... and Gould! I love other performances of Gould, but when on the liner notes he is quoted "I'm not sure this performance is the most convincing, but surely is the most convinced" I don't know what he was thinking about. I'm quite open-minded to unorthodoxy, but seriosly: run away from his appasionata. Rubinstein and Ashkenazy: brilliant, more energic; Rubinstein: brilliant too, more subtle, perhaps more "elegant?", older recording too, a pity.
                      you sure have got somew meastro's in your menu..a bit hard too chew i'd say ..for me it's been the lovely waltz in a minor brown index by chopin *played it myself*...some other waltzes *too hot too handle * and the kreutzer emmy verhey and carlos moesdijk performing..
                      Regards,
                      Ruud..

Btw you're absolutely right gurn about the french...a conventional work like danse macabre caused such a stirr at its premiere that saint seans' mother fainted in horror...now THAT'S overreacting aint it

------------------
                      Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Spacerl,
                        Ooohhh.. save a piece for me! Well, the Divertimento sounds good too, not too sugary, nice texture, perfect!

Rutr,
                        Really! Well that must be OK then because I thought the New Zealanders did pretty well there for Mr. Tintner. Thanks!

Atserri,
                        Hmmm... interestig therapy, Chopin to get over Beethoven! I must try that. What I have read about Gould, that he actually hated Beethoven and Mozart and tries to deconstruct their works in his interpretations, pretty much puts me off. I heard a disk of his Mozart sonatas, and that sounded like an accurate description to me. However, I am very fond of his Bach, esp. the Goldbergs and the French Suites. Altogether too bizarre for this country boy, though. I really do like Ashkenazy in the B sonatas, but haven't heard much of the others so I don't compare them.

Ruud,
                        Ah, played them yourself, you clever fellow. Wish I could... anyway, I also liked this story: Cesar Franck's Violin Sonata is dedicated to St. Saëns. At the premiere, when it was done, Franck stood proudly on the platform while Camille came up to him. At his arrival, St. Saëns walked right up and gave him a tremendous slap on the face and then turned and strode offstage. I think he didn't like it too well! Oh, those French!

For me, it is the Symphony in D major - #86 - Joseph Haydn. Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment / Kuijken. marvelous HIP version of Paris Symphony #5, one of my favorites.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          Spacerl,
                          Ooohhh.. save a piece for me! Well, the Divertimento sounds good too, not too sugary, nice texture, perfect!

Rutr,
                          Really! Well that must be OK then because I thought the New Zealanders did pretty well there for Mr. Tintner. Thanks!

Atserri,
                          Hmmm... interestig therapy, Chopin to get over Beethoven! I must try that. What I have read about Gould, that he actually hated Beethoven and Mozart and tries to deconstruct their works in his interpretations, pretty much puts me off. I heard a disk of his Mozart sonatas, and that sounded like an accurate description to me. However, I am very fond of his Bach, esp. the Goldbergs and the French Suites. Altogether too bizarre for this country boy, though. I really do like Ashkenazy in the B sonatas, but haven't heard much of the others so I don't compare them.

Ruud,
                          Ah, played them yourself, you clever fellow. Wish I could... anyway, I also liked this story: Cesar Franck's Violin Sonata is dedicated to St. Saëns. At the premiere, when it was done, Franck stood proudly on the platform while Camille came up to him. At his arrival, St. Saëns walked right up and gave him a tremendous slap on the face and then turned and strode offstage. I think he didn't like it too well! Oh, those French!

For me, it is the Symphony in D major - #86 - Joseph Haydn. Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment / Kuijken. marvelous HIP version of Paris Symphony #5, one of my favorites.

Gosh that aint the story
                          I heard, I heard that his only violinsonata in A was composed in 1886 for the wedding of a friend of his and that HE gave the premiere togheter with a violinist on a borrowed violin and a hotel-lobby piano..
                          liked the aggresive saint-seans story better though..

------------------
                          Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                            Gosh that aint the story
                            I heard, I heard that his only violinsonata in A was composed in 1886 for the wedding of a friend of his and that HE gave the premiere togheter with a violinist on a borrowed violin and a hotel-lobby piano..
                            liked the aggresive saint-seans story better though..
                            Oh? got that from the liner notes of a CD. ?? Strange difference! Anyway, now it is the Symphony in A major - #87 - Joseph Haydn. Same group here, very nice performance also!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                              [B]Amalie,
                              Always the first to rise, those worms must be good! What can you tell us about Marteau, he is totally new to me. Romantic? Modern? Hmmm... And that so nice sonata too. Good start to the day!
                              Gurn, Yes, I'm afraid I am always up with the larks!
                              Marteau is fairly new to me also, here is a little spiel about him. http://www.web-helper.net/PDMusic/Bi...ri/default.asp

CD Listening this evening to:
                              Beethoven's Bratsche,

Notturno D-Dur fur Klavier und Viola 0p.42
                              Absolutely beautiful pieces, played by Tabea Zimmermann on Beethoven's own Viola!

Franz Anton Hoffmeister:
                              Etudes fur Viola solo
                              Hartmut Holl (pianoforte)

Delightful!
                              More tomorrow

------------------
                              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
                              X