Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
    Today's menu consist:

Chopin waltzes & impromptus (A. Rubinstein) over & over again as a rest from quite a heavy session yesterday night with Beethoven sonatas.

I spent a couple of hours with the appasionata played by Ashkenazy, Rubinstein... and Gould! I love other performances of Gould, but when on the liner notes he is quoted "I'm not sure this performance is the most convincing, but surely is the most convinced" I don't know what he was thinking about. I'm quite open-minded to unorthodoxy, but seriosly: run away from his appasionata. Rubinstein and Ashkenazy: brilliant, more energic; Rubinstein: brilliant too, more subtle, perhaps more "elegant?", older recording too, a pity.
    I was raised on the RCA Victor reading by Sviatoslav Richter. I have heard many since but nothing better although my friend and colleague Judith tells me that the Ashkenasy version is superb. I would also imagine that a recording by the irreplaceable John Ogden is out there somewhere waiting for me

------------------
    Love from London
    Love from London

Comment

Mendelssohn: Calm sea and prosperous voyage, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.

Respighi: Trittico Botticelliano,
      Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.

Liszt: Fantasy on Hungarian folk melodies
      Grace Francis (piano)

Beethoven: Allegro & minuet for two flutes in G major, Wo0 26.
      played by, Robert & Christine Dohn, (flute)
      This is a beautiful piece composed by the young Beethoven (22) whilst in Bonn.
      I love making new discoveries about Ludwig!

Now Another favourite period of mine going further back in time, exploring music from,
      Francisco Guerrero: 1528-1599, music for,
      His Majesty's Sagbutts & Cornetts,
      performed by Westminster Cathedral Choir.

Guerrero ( who died from the plague in Seville 1599) was one of the two great Spanish composers of his generation, second only to Tomas Luis de Victoria, who is another favourite of mine.

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-05-2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:

I'm not one who says one can only listen to the first Violin Concert by Bruch though
        I'm missing him too so I thought I'd listen to Handel's Aria's from Serse and Rodelinda.
        There were no Handel opera's or oratorio's in the Videos at the library but I've ordered Don Giovanni and Fidelio so I can have an opera festival while the cat is away.
        spacerl
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Aloha to Hawai Egmont!
          I don't know Gorecki, but Max Bruch is one of my favorites. I have to make some gardening right after, in company: Nigel Kennedy playing Bruch's VC#1, Mendelsson op.64 and a lovely Rondo by Schubert.
          I'm not one who says one can only listen to the first Violin Concert by Bruch though
          Gorecki is one of the most popular composers alive today. His Symphony No.3 is one of the most significant written in the second half of the 20th Century. How could one not know of this man????

------------------
          v russo
          v russo

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
            Ah, yes, Copland's 3rd symphony another fine work reflecting the American music scene. If you are not familiar with Roy Harris you might want to try his 3rd symphony. It is a jam packed melodic 18 minute one movement symphony that is made up of 5 sections.

King,

I know some of Harris. I will check this one out. Walter Piston is another fine American composer. His symphonies are very worthwhile.

------------------
            v russo
            v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:

King,

I know some of Harris. I will check this one out. Walter Piston is another fine American composer. His symphonies are very worthwhile.

DGG, Decca, and Philips have come out with the Universal Classics label. There is a disc called American Masters and recorded on the disc is music of,
              Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings *
              Roy Harris: Symphony No.3
              William Schuman: Symphony No.3

* Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra
              News York Philharmonic
              Leonard Bernstein - Conducting
              Catalog # 289 474 439-2
              All on the disc are reissues
              Very nice disc.

Now, for this afternoon it is all "Papa" Haydn. His Symphonies Nos. 24, 61, 71, 77 and 79. What a feast......

Comment

This morning it is Schubert for me, the Symphonies No. 2 and 4 and then maybe 5 and 6 later.

Comment

Muriel
                  Ah, Don Giovanni and Fidelio on video! I recently thought for myself to start my own Opera exploring watching on tv to get both, the musical and the visually effects as well. Once, I will start this experience

v russo
                  One could not know of this man, if one like me is not focused on composers of the 20th Century at all. It's the time of Bruch, which makes the break for my humble opion

WAYLT? W.A. Mozart:
                  Exsultate Jubilate KV.165
                  Coronation Mass KV.317
                  Vesper Solemnes KV.339

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 09-05-2004).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pastorali:
                    [B]Muriel
                    Ah, Don Giovanni and Fidelio on video! I recently thought for myself to start my own Opera exploring watching on tv to get both, the musical and the visually effects as well. Once, I will start this experience
                    QUOTE]

The books on music that I've read lately
                    talk about how all the magic of music was first discovered in operas .To be honest I feel as though I don't have the stamia required to get through a live opera .However I do like a good measure of spectacle when listening to all that singing.
                    Being able to fast forward is a nice option if things don't go well.This Don Giovanni is with Futwangler(sp) so I'm hopeing for great things,sadly the Fidelio ,they say, is missing from the shelves.
                    Let me know WOYLTN .
                    spacerl
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Just finishing listening to Elgar First Symphony Sir Adrian Boult LPO What a marvellous piece of music!!

------------------
                      Love from London
                      Love from London

Comment

This evening Dvorak's music is my listening interest. His Slavonic Rhapsodies Op.45 Nos. 1,2&3 and then onto the Cello Concert in B mior Op.104 performed by Yo-Yo Ma and Lorin Maazel conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. Brahms said on seeing the score of the cello concerto that if he knew that a cello concerto like Dvoraks could have been composed he would have tried it himself. This cello concerto has to be at the very top for a work of it's genre.

Comment

Listening to:
                          Paganini: 24 caprici per violino solo op. 1.
                          Chopin: Waltzes and Impromptus.
                          Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

Some flamboyant music to begin the week with energy.

Comment

Muriel

v russo
                            One could not know of this man, if one like me is not focused on composers of the 20th Century at all. It's the time of Bruch, which makes the break for my humble opion

WAYLT? W.A. Mozart:
                            Exsultate Jubilate KV.165
                            Coronation Mass KV.317
                            Vesper Solemnes KV.339

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 09-05-2004).]
                            but, we live in the 21st century! Why would one ignore a whole century of music????

------------------
                            v russo
                            v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
                              but, we live in the 21st century! Why would one ignore a whole century of music????
                              v,
                              Are you sure he's ignoring a whole century
                              of music ,perhaps he simply hasn't got to it yet.
                              I have been working on a song of Canadian Composer Harry Somers titled 'Conversation Piece'.First published in 1957.Even the new music is now old.Perhaps the next time Pastorali and I get together I shall sing it for him so he can say that he has heard some 'new music'!
                              spacerl
                              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

for me its been Beethoven pianoconcertos nr.4 and 5...performed by emil gilels..superb rendition...And some of the most modern and actuall music that there is too satisfy some of the 21st century lovers i've improvised some melodies on the piano

regards,
                                Ruud

------------------
                                Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Working...
                                X