No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now playing...French love songs by Baude Cordier.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Muriel
      You know I nearly got my ticket! Indian Summer in British Columbia with some wonderful Singings, sounds great!

Some nice Singings only on CD today. König Thamos, Funny Songs and Canons by Mozart, Elegischer Gesang and Ah! Perfido... L.v. Beethoven.

Now, Johannes Brahms - Piano Quartet in A, op.26 - Beaux Arts Trio - First Listening, first love

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
        v,
        Are you sure he's ignoring a whole century
        of music ,perhaps he simply hasn't got to it yet.
        I have been working on a song of Canadian Composer Harry Somers titled 'Conversation Piece'.First published in 1957.Even the new music is now old.Perhaps the next time Pastorali and I get together I shall sing it for him so he can say that he has heard some 'new music'!
        spacerl
        ...Perhaps he simply hasn't got to it yet??!!

Yikes! at this rate we'll all be dead and gone by the time our moderator gets to the 1920's.

------------------
        v russo
        v russo

Comment

Schumann: Kinderszenen, 0p.15
          Harvard Gimes, (piano)

Liszt: Grandes Etudes de Paganini. no.2
          Matti Raekallio, (piano)

Christian Hollander:
          Ave Maria,
          Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet.

------------------
          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

100% Beethoven today:

String quartets Op. 18, nos 1-3.
            Violin sonatas Op. 12, no.1 & 2, and Op. 30, no. 1.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by atserriotserri:
              [B]100% Beethoven today:
              QUOTE]

What a great idea ,I think I will Beethoven all day too.I'll start with Gurn's recomended 9th with Solti conducting.
              Then I'll play some of the folksong settings for my grandaughter I think she'll enjoy the Elfin Faries,and the rollicking Deserter.

Pastorali
              You and your wife had better bring your raincoats ,I think we are in for a spell of wetcoast weather.
              spacerl
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

In celebration of Antonin Dvorak's birthday today(163), my listening pleasure is his 7th and 8th Symphonies along with his Piano Concerto in G minor op.33. This man's music is absolutely OOTW........

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 09-08-2004).]

Comment

Some wonderful listening all day, in honor of Dvorak's birthday, the String quintet in Eb - Op 97 - written when he was in America, having just seen a musical performance by native Americans and incorporating some of their themes. It is a pity, and scarcely a coincidence that music after Dvorak's death, which we commemorate the 100th anniversary of next month, went into a precipitous decline from which it has never recovered.
                  Adieu,
                  Franz

[This message has been edited by Grillparzer (edited 09-08-2004).]
                  Adieu,
                  Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:

Yikes! at this rate we'll all be dead and gone by the time our moderator gets to the 1920's.

Messr. Russo,
                    This is Mr. Peter of whom you speak? But, I thought always that he was very "hip"! But I must ask, why indeed would a person with any taste wish to listen to music of those later times, when there is so much good music of even Beethoven's time which is yet unheard? And it is sure to be music with some melody, and harmony to match, and perhaps some rhythm even!?! I am not too sure I understand what you are saying there, is it a suggestion perhaps that such neo-modern monstrosities have some redeeming feature? Surely not, que'lle outrage! You must attempt to achieve some sense of inner balance now by listening to some Mozart. Listen to Franz, he is much older and wiser than your average acquaintance.
                    Adieu,
                    Franz
                    Adieu,
                    Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Grillparzer:
                      Some wonderful listening all day, in honor of Dvorak's birthday, the String quintet in Eb - Op 97 - written when he was in America, having just seen a musical performance by native Americans and incorporating some of their themes. It is a pity, and scarcely a coincidence that music after Dvorak's death, which we commemorate the 100th anniversary of next month, went into a precipitous decline from which it has never recovered.
                      Adieu,
                      Franz

[This message has been edited by Grillparzer (edited 09-08-2004).]
                      What a curious story, and couldn't been told in a better time, since Dvorak is going to be the center of my next "stampede" to the record store and have been considering his piano quintets.

Comment

Today: Horowitz plays Scriabin (piano sonatas 3 and 5, some etudes and preludes) over and over again (very energic record).

If tired, Gould and Menuhin are on the bench (piano and violin sonatas Bach no. 4 and Beethoven no. 10 and Schoenber phantasy for violin and piano accompaniement op. 47).

Comment

I'm listening to Schubert's impromptu No.2
                          in E flat major,from opus 90 D.899

This sounds as though it might be very very difficult to play.I understand Schubert himself wasn't a virtuoso ,and other better players would perform his works in concert.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:

v russo
                            Oh yes, I for my humble part have momentary really no need to go further. I totally agree with Franz in this manner and how spaceray said, perhaps one day I'm ready to go on. Who knows that? Not me, because I'm like a little leaf in the wind, following the music I love... but if one has sticked his teeth into works of Beethoven, Mozart and contemporaries, one can be pretty busy with them for a while...

For now - Overture 'King Stephan' op.117

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                              v russo
                              Oh yes, I for my humble part have momentary really no need to go further. I totally agree with Franz in this manner and how spaceray said, perhaps one day I'm ready to go on.
                              Messr. Pastorali,
                              I see that you are indeed a very intelligent man, to agree with Franz can only be a good thing. For now, I am listening to the Piano Trio of Franz (nice name!) J. Haydn, #22. Trio 1790, with instruments which actually existed at that time.

------------------
                              Adieu,
                              Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Adieu,
                              Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Franz
                                Indeed, Franz is a nice name, I thought this too! I had my Franzl this afternoon with D.929 - 50 minutes of good fun, some coincidences then?

Right now the well entertaining Clarinet version of op.61 - Russian National Orchestra - splendid

Comment

Working...
                                X