What are you listening to right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastorali:
    W. A. Mozart: Piano Sonata #15, KV 545 (Sonata facile) joking M., it sounds not so easy.
    Daniel Blumenthal on piano.
    Pastorali,
    I can assure you it's quite the difficult piece,
    I've once tried to play it but it was too difficult for me back then..Rgiht now I am able to play it but still...
    nice piece though especially the climax in the 2nd nmovement..
    right now the sonata for 2 piano's in D mayor by mozart...played on authentic instruments..Bart van oort and ürsula dütschler.

Regards,
    Ruud

Comment

Michael Gordon's "Weather".

Yes Gurn, A NEWER EMERGING COMPOSER.

Check this piece out if you can. It merges Neo Baroque gestures with Post Modern Minimalism and electronic backround noise.

..very cool.

------------------
      v russo
      v russo

Comment

also, Keith Jarrett's Jazz trio:
        Live from the Blue Note complete, recorded in 1994. An excellent performance and a high quality (as always from Blue Note) recording.

------------------
        v russo
        v russo

Comment

Wolfgang Amadée Mozart
          Fantasia d minor, KV396
          Piano Concerto #12, A major, KV414
          Suddeutsche Philharmonie/Alberto Lizzio
          Without any electronic background noises, a good end of the week. zzz zzz

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
            Hey Pastorali, I've just been listening to that combination of PC's too - played by Radu Lupu and conducted by Previn - sensational.
            And Tony dear is that Cherubini recording the one on the double CD with the Verdi Requiem that I mentioned a while back? If so I can only agree - I hadn't heard it before either!
            Right now though its back to the second CD in my Kathleen Ferrier set. Sorry Gurn but it was either that or your compatriot from the Great Southwest, Utah Phillips ( a wonderful Country and Western comedian/folk singer with a thing for the great days of American railroads). Just getting into practice for visiting Austin, live music capital of the world (or so my good buddy tells me) in August!
            Judith my dear. Yes the very same CD. The live Toscanini NBC recording of the Verdi Requiem (the one with Giuseppe di Stefano on tenor)is stll for me one of the most powerful - if not the most powerful - recordings of classical music I have ever heard. I first heard it in 1973 An American musician friend at the time referred to it as "totally dangerous and gripping" when compared to the other wall to wall stereo versions - particularly Karajan and the BPO - around at the time.

Right now a different mood but on a similar theme - Arvo Part 'Passio' (St John Passion) by Tonus Peregrinus. Wonderful. By the way I still owe you a CD. Would you like the Bach Cello Suites by Casals?

------------------
            Love from London
            Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
              Michael Gordon's "Weather".

Yes Gurn, A NEWER EMERGING COMPOSER.
              v.,
              I consider Elgar a new, emerging composer

Pastorali,
              Don't you just love that Fantasia? Such a marvelous little work!

Joy,
              I read somewhere that the Brits started calling it that somewhere mid 19th century, I am supposing that it is because everyoe got tired of calling it "the symphony that ends with a fugue", which it was called for its first 75 years or so.

Well, I'm listening now to the Sonata in G major for Violin & Piano - K 293a - Mozart (good call, Joy!) - Henryk Szeryng / Ingrid Haebler. Bellissimo!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                Judith my dear. Yes the very same CD. The live Toscanini NBC recording of the Verdi Requiem (the one with Giuseppe di Stefano on tenor)is stll for me one of the most powerful - if not the most powerful - recordings of classical music I have ever heard. I first heard it in 1973 An American musician friend at the time referred to it as "totally dangerous and gripping" when compared to the other wall to wall stereo versions - particularly Karajan and the BPO - around at the time.

Right now a different mood but on a similar theme - Arvo Part 'Passio' (St John Passion) by Tonus Peregrinus. Wonderful. By the way I still owe you a CD. Would you like the Bach Cello Suites by Casals?

Ah yes the Passio is wonderful, I have that too . I also have a wonderful recording called " Out of the Night" which alternates pieces by Part and John Tavener to make a haunting and meditative programme. Not everyone appreciates the very spare and repetitive Eastern Orthodox liturgy feel to this music, but I find it deeply moving and spiritually uplifting. Needs concentration though - not the kind of music you can listen to whilst doing other things.
                As for the Bach, thank you so much for the offer, but after your last post about them I bought the set by Casals on the same label as the Cherubini we were just discussing! Again a revelation, not really having got past the Brandenburgs, the Passions and some of the organ and choral music before, it showed me a whole new dimension of Bach. But don't worry I'll think of something you can treat me to - maybe we could do a joint raid on your much frequented music store at London Bridge sometime

------------------
                Beethoven the Man!
                Beethoven the Man!

Comment

This morning we continue to journey through the String Quartets of Dvorak, now with #6 in a minor, Op 12 - one can sense the maturity finally coming into his style. Bueno!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Again this Fantasy d minor, KV 396, which is really lovely! Gurn, what's about Fantasy in C minor, also KV 396? Wrote Mozart several fantasias among this KV? If yes, I have nothing against it...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      Sorrano,
                      I am not being comparative as to "he is better than him", but I honestly feel that Haydn's quartets have that unique ability to just draw you in and make you part of the conversation instead of just being a listener. I am invariably happy when I listen to them, and you can't ask for more, no?

And now, the rest of the story. I had Haydn on my mind so much that I didn't realize I was listening to SCHUMANN's Quartets. Yikes! But nonetheless, a very delightful experience even if it weren't Haydn. I will have to listen to Haydn, though, and I am very sure that I will enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                        Again this Fantasy d minor, KV 396, which is really lovely! Gurn, what's about Fantasy in C minor, also KV 396? Wrote Mozart several fantasias among this KV? If yes, I have nothing against it...
                        P.
                        Mozart only wrote down 2 fantasias, in d minor and c minor, although he probably composed dozens for just playing, they weren't the sort of thing one wrote down, improvisation, you know? But he wrote the c minor one (K 475) to go with the c minor sonata that he wrote for his student (Barbara Ployer), so he had to write it down, while the d minor we don't know why he wrote down all but the last 8 bars or so, which were finished by Stadler. I am very fond of both of these fantasias, but particularly the d minor.
                        And now, it is the Sympyony in Bb - #2 D 125, Schubert. Excellent!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                          And now, the rest of the story. I had Haydn on my mind so much that I didn't realize I was listening to SCHUMANN's Quartets. Yikes! But nonetheless, a very delightful experience even if it weren't Haydn. I will have to listen to Haydn, though, and I am very sure that I will enjoy it.
                          Sorrano,
                          Certainly nothing wrong with that! I think Schumann's quartets are vastly underrated, they are his only music without piano, and they prove very well that he could write it too! If you are planning on starting with Haydn's quartets, may I recommend Op 76? You won't be sorry!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

In keeping with the Mozartian program it's his Symphony No. 46 in C K 111x with conductor Sir Charles Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra
                            Although I can't live for very long without my Beethoven so later today it will be the Rondo for Piano and Orchestra in B-Flat
                            with conductor John Elliot Gardiner and the Orch Revolutionnaire et Romant with
                            SOLO Robert Levin, keyboard. After that Beethoven's Symphony #8!

------------------
                            'Truth and beauty joined'
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I'm listening radio. It's the program, that two people (mostly musicians) are talking about a piece of music. First some historic facts about the work and then they play details of several recordings, which are not known by name until the end. It's fortunately today Beethoven's Symphony #7 in A major, Op.92. Very exciting!

Momentary the first movement and I'm sure, this must be the Zinman recording right now!

Comment

Joy,
                                I have that Levin/Gardiner set, it is very nice indeed, and the 8th is good, no matter who does it, it is one of those pieces of music which transcends the interpreter every time!

P.
                                Sounds interesting. Wish we had intelligent radio to listen to here. Then I could get someone to listen and explain it to me

For me, still some Schubert though, The Great C major Symphony - #9 - D 944.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment