What are you listening to right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gurn
    Grosse Schubertiade heute? Harnoncourt made the race for them, Zinman falled away after the first quater...
    I'm still curious about these two Fantasies, because the other one in C minor is mentioned as KV 396 on one of my CD's.

LvB, Piano Sonata #22 in F major, Op.54
    Hans Palsson piano

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
      I'm listening radio. It's the program, that two people (mostly musicians) are talking about a piece of music. First some historic facts about the work and then they play details of several recordings, which are not known by name until the end. It's fortunately today Beethoven's Symphony #7 in A major, Op.92. Very exciting!

Momentary the first movement and I'm sure, this must be the Zinman recording right now!
      Pastorali, don't you just love programs like that? A learning experience as well as a musical one. I listened to one very similar to that last night where they featured Beethoven and played his Trio No. 7 in B-flat major, Op. 11. They played it and then talked about where Beethoven was in this point of his life and other facts about him. Very interesting indeed.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        Joy,
        I have that Levin/Gardiner set, it is very nice indeed, and the 8th is good, no matter who does it, it is one of those pieces of music which transcends the interpreter every time!

P.
        Sounds interesting. Wish we had intelligent radio to listen to here. Then I could get someone to listen and explain it to me

For me, still some Schubert though, The Great C major Symphony - #9 - D 944.

Gurn, so true about the 8th! Unfortunately not played as often as the others and sometimes forgotten, not by me though! Also, do you have NPR radio where you live? They have all these fascinating music programs you may be able to listen to.

------------------

Comment

Pastorali,
          It is my considered opinion that a Viennese, fully sated on his little brown sausages and beer, wrote those notes you refer to! Fantasia in c minor is K 475. To prove my obstinacy, I am listening to it right now! But it is OK, no matter the number, it is a splendid piece of music.

Joy,
          I do have NPR, but they only do talk and news here. On holidays and the like, they will get the music feed from National NPR, and you are right the shows are much more interesting, but in the slim time allocated to music here, they do it locally, and the "DJ's" are even less knowledgeable than I am, so you can imagine how THAT goes! As for the 8th, you are not alone, I listen to it very often, in fact more often than any other than the 9th, which even surprises me, now that I consider it.
          But right now, no surprise left, it is the Fantasia in c minor for Piano, K 475 - W. Amade Mozart. Ahhh...

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn
            I got no doubt about your words, you can bet your last sweaty shirt for that... it must be a typo on this CD, so I think I will sue the S.H.S. for that!

Joy
            Yes indeed, always a pleasure and very informative. If one can listen to the same part of a work several times, played by different orchestras/conductors, the listening experience can be amazingly different too. I followed the same program once, while B's 5th was the theme. For a half hour ti-ti-ti-taa, I was pretty exhausted after that.
            Franz Schubert Octet D803, Grand Duo D574
            Willy Boskovsky - Vienna Octet
            Live recording - Lugano - Switzerland - 1958

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 06-08-2004).]

Comment

P,
              Ha! You got the Octet! Tell me, how is Herr Boskovsky playing there? And do you find this a particularly nice piece of music? I bet my last sweaty shirt that you do, how could you not?

For me, a little day music, the Sonata in D major for 2 Pianos - K 448 - W. Amade Mozart - Ingrid Haebler & Ludwig "Piano" Hoffman. Can a serious pianist still be called the nickname "Piano"? Apparently so, since he certainly can play it. Just sounds like he should be playing honky tonk in a bar.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                P.
                Mozart only wrote down 2 fantasias, in d minor and c minor, although he probably composed dozens for just playing, they weren't the sort of thing one wrote down, improvisation, you know? But he wrote the c minor one (K 475) to go with the c minor sonata that he wrote for his student (Barbara Ployer), so he had to write it down, while the d minor we don't know why he wrote down all but the last 8 bars or so, which were finished by Stadler. I am very fond of both of these fantasias, but particularly the d minor.
                And now, it is the Sympyony in Bb - #2 D 125, Schubert. Excellent!

In times that I've listened to the d minor fantasia I've noted two different endings to it. One must be Stadler's but no idea on the other. I've enjoyed playing it, too.

Comment

Today it's Otterino Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances, conducted by Sir Neville Marriner.

Comment

Sorrano,
                    Interesting, I only have a couple of recordings of it, but both have the same ending. I will look around to see what I can find out.

No Resphigi for me (although it sounds like a nice choice), but I do have Mozart, Quartet in C #19 K 465 "Dissonance". Juilliard Quartet.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Today it's Beethoven's King Stephen Overture
                      with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra and
                      Kurt Masur, conductor.
                      Tegan: Respighi, nice choice. They play that often via the radio so I hear it a lot.
                      Gurn: On the radio every evening from 5:00pm-7:00pm is an NPR program called "Performance Today". Have you ever listened to that? It's very good with classical music and history bits thrown in plus talks with popular musicians. Very informative and a good program. I also heard Mozart's Fantasia in c minor today. Small world. For me now it's Mozart's Marriage of Figaro with conductor Barry Wordsworth and the Capella Istropolitana Orchestra. I can't believe you listen to Beethoven's 8th more than his 9th!! Wow!!
                      Pastorali: I think I would be exhausted to listening to that for a half hour! I'm not surprised you were!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-08-2004).]

Comment

Joy,
                        I used to listen to PT every evening from 7 -9, but now they have moved it to the morning from 9 - 11, and I just don't have access to the radio at that time. It was my favorite programme for a long time. So it goes. Now, they play some New Age... stuff, in that time slot. Jeez.
                        No, I didn't mean that, I meant that the 9th is the only one I listen to more than the 8th, sorry to confuse.
                        Right now, is just a bit more Mozart, the Rondo in D major for Piano - K 485 - Can't believe that I waited so long to pick up these little piano pieces, so many of them are just little gems.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                          I can't believe you listen to Beethoven's 8th more than his 9th!! Wow!!

Isn't that a missunderstanding? Gurn recently was sticking that deep in Schubert's Symphonies, I guess he just said it, but meant The Great C major Symphony - #9 - D 944?
                          D803. A nice recording, really well played by Mr.Boskovsky and the Vienna Octet - but it's a live recording and too many other noises are disturbing. I would spend herb tea with honey for free there!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                            Isn't that a missunderstanding? Gurn recently was sticking that deep in Schubert's Symphonies, I guess he just said it, but meant The Great C major Symphony - #9 - D 944?
                            D803. A nice recording, really well played by Mr.Boskovsky and the Vienna Octet - but it's a live recording and too many other noises are disturbing. I would spend herb tea with honey for free there!

P.
                            Yes, misunderstanding, but we cleared it up, I was only saying that the 9th is the only B that I listen more than the 8th, surprised to know.
                            Pity about the live recording. So many times this happens, and it really hurts because the performance is so good if you could only hear it. I have a Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto performed live in Moscow by Perlman, great performance, but everyone has a cold there, they are needing your tea and honey!
                            But right now, some Amade for peace and quiet, the Sonata in F for Violin & Piano, K 547. Ahh...

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn, missunderstandings are coming up, if one like I am, has so long for a posting, because he is at the same time also digging thru some CD's...
                              Now, already in my hands that Hanover 'Choral' but not the right time and mood for it now, so...
                              The amazing Mr. Smith: Piano transcription of the Symphony #7, Op.92, arranged by Liszt.
                              I would say, it's quite good!

Comment

P.
                                Already! Good postal service in Europe, I must say. We shall send you some of our people and that will balance it out
                                Start off the AM with a little Mozart, Quartet in Eb for Piano & Strings - #2 - K 493 - Too complicated though, it will never sell! Then, a little Haydn, a little Beethoven, a little Schubert, gonna be a good day!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment