What are you listening to right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to right now

Beethoven Op.44 from the authentic page www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Well, to provide continuity from the old page , I continue with Quartet in Bb for Strings - #2 - WoO (B17) Antonin Dvorak - Interesting to see the evolution of his style like this.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ok, to provide continuity too, Ludwig van Beethoven, Oh Sanctissima (Siciliano) WoO 157/4

Comment

A wonderful collection of beautifully remastered recordings of Kathleen Ferrier - a good Northern lass like me - singing a varied repertoire of opera (including the sublime Orfeo ed Euridice by Gluck), lieder (Schubert, Mahler etc.), Oratorio (Handel and Bach of course)and British traditional and folk songs (ranging from a heart breaking Down by the Salley Gardens, to an hilarious, if now unpolitically correct, The Stuttering Lovers). As a plaque in her memory states " Her voice and spirit gave hope and radiance to the World". Another tragically early and incalculable loss to music - but what a legacy!

------------------
        Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 06-04-2004).]
        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Today it was Weber's Freischuetz Overture (from the complete recording with Harnoncourt), Wagner's Flying Dutchman Overture (from the complete recording with Woldemar Nelsson and the Bayreuth), some parts of St. John's Passion (Evangelist- Wunderlich, Jesus- Fischer-Dieskau, Foster conducting) and later it was some parts of Fidelio (Leonore- Martha Mödl, Florestan- Wolfgang Windgassen, Furtwängler conducting).

Oh, what a day!

------------------
          "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
          "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

JA,
            Alright, Lassie, you have me there, no more kindred spirits! I simply have no singing except for the 9th and Choral Fantasia. However, right now I am listening to Haydn, Quartet in Bb for Strings - Op 50 #1 - Super! His music reflects his personality, helplessly entwined, I should say

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              JA,
              Alright, Lassie, you have me there, no more kindred spirits! I simply have no singing except for the 9th and Choral Fantasia. However, right now I am listening to Haydn, Quartet in Bb for Strings - Op 50 #1 - Super! His music reflects his personality, helplessly entwined, I should say

What - not even Fidelio or the Missa Solemnis???? Nevertheless it will take more than that to convince me we're not on the same wavelength.
              Still I'll push it a bit further with Mahler 1 conducted by Abbado and performed by the Vienna Phil. This was the first Mahler I ever heard - at a lunchtime concert at the Barbican with Abbado conducting the LSO. I'm sure it wasn't their finest performance but it had me in tears and unable to do anything else for the rest of the afternoon. I even went to the extent of writing a little note to Maestro Abbado to express my appreciation and was delighted, some weeks later, to receive a handwritten note back saying "Glad you enjoyed it, Hope you have many more such experiences." So sweet.

------------------
              Beethoven the Man!
              Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Right now I'm listening to the superb renditions of the sonata's op.3`supplied by rod.

Comment

Time to take a dip in the pool on this sunny and hot day. While doing that listening to Beethoven's 7th Symphony, a rousing rendition! Also later Symphony No. 2 in D Op 36 Conducted by the great Leonard Bernstein
                  with the New York Philharmonic.

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

In manner, today was again a hunting day, I'm giving my opinion on the newest hauls. Mozart, Schumann and Grieg...right now: W.A.M.
                    "La belle Francoise" (theme with 12 variations in E flat)
                    "Ein Weib ist das herrlichste Ding" (variations for Hammerklavier in F major)

Wolferl, you're right!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 06-05-2004).]

Comment

JA,
                      No, not even that! I shall likely have Fidelio some day, but haven't worked up to it yet, one must concede that there is an abundance of singing in an opera...

Pastorali,
                      Yes, excellent haul. Your collection grows by leaps and bounds! So, what is the Grieg?

For me, it is the Master's Sonata in A major for Cello & Piano - #3 - Op 69 - Pablo Casals/Rudolf Serkin, two of my favorite performers in one of my favorite pieces! Perfect for the afternoon!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

JA,

I hadn't realized quite how delightful Haydn's quartets are. I've been listening to Op.41 no. 1 in A minor. Wonderful!

Comment

there is an abundance of singing in an opera...
                          Tell me Gurn Blanston just how are you getting by in classical music without the singing,isn't that a bit like loving only two composers?
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

That's a prickly prickle!
                            I got enough of singing up to pussy's bow, since I've heard today 'The German Ode on football'. (Euro 04) such a junk!

Comment

Pastorali,
                              Yes, excellent haul. Your collection grows by leaps and bounds! So, what is the Grieg?

Gurn
                              Power again, that's well! It's Grieg's Piano Concerto Op.16, along with Schumann's P.C. Op.54, both in A minor. First listen follows after my momentary pleasure: W.A.M. Six German Dances, KV 571. I'm getting in carneval mood

Comment

Working...
                              X