X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Megan;49466]
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    As today is the first day of Spring (in theory, anyway) I listened to Schumann's Opus 38, Beethoven's Opus 24 and a certain ballet by Stravinsky.
    I managed to avoid Vivaldi by not turning on the radio and by switching off a number of cell phones.

Yes, why don't they play something else by Vivaldi like the double violin concerto. There really are treasures in the Vivaldi repertoire. Everyone seems to go by the Four Seasons, and if you either like it or dislike it that seems to be the end of the Vivaldi appreciation. I love Vivaldi's bright harmonies and its happiness and confidence, which I do not find superficial or tiresome. It's like looking at a diamond which slowly turns and you can delight in every aspect of light that is given off. It aproppriate from the son of the Church who also lived in the city of sparkling waters and light in Venice.

Yes, I quite like Vivaldi, especially his Concerto Grosso in C (RV 558) and his "Gloria". "The Four Seasons" seems to have done him more harm than good. As far as I can remember, when I first began buying classical/baroque records in the late sixties, this work was not very well known. It took off when Nigel Kennedy recorded it. Before that, Vivaldi was never mentioned, as he is now, in the same breath as Bach and Handel.
    (I may be incorrect about the last sentence.)

Comment

I've had a bit of a Satie day today. I had forgotten how much I admire his music, and I always have a good giggle reading the titles of the pieces. Anyway, here is my listening list for today :
      Gnossiennes; Petite Ouverture à danser; Véritables Préludes flasques (pour un chien); Les Trois Valses distinguées de précieux dégoûté; Le Piccadilly; Déscriptions automatiques; Les pantins dansent; Le Piège de Méduse; Pièces Froides; Avant dernières Pensées (had a few of those recently, I can tell you!); Gambades; Embryons desséchés; Valse ballet; Heures séculaires et instantanées; Première Pensée Rose+Croix; Poudre d'or.

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
        Cantatas BWV 82, 83 and 125
        (3 of the 7 works composed specifically for today: Candlemas/ Mariae Reinigung)

Hendrik Andriessen:
        Miroir de Peine (1919)

Maderna:
        Oboe concerto no.3 (1973)

Comment

Christian Sinding:
          Symphonies 1 and 2

Fanny Mendelssohn:
          Piano trio in D-major

Clara Schumann:
          Piano trio in G-minor
          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Beethoven's Kreutzer sonata, performed by Itzhak Perlman .

And to completely change the mood with, Shostakovich , symphony no.3 'lst of May'.
            London Philharmonic.
            Last edited by Megan; 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM.
            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

In speaking of Satie, I caught the end of Gymnopedie (sorry for lack of accents, etc.) on the radio.

This morning I was delighted with MacDowell's 2nd Piano Concerto.

Comment

Elgar's 'Wand of Youth' suites.
                Bach's Art of fugue with the Emmerson string quartet - why do they spoil the cd with that extra track? The moment where Bach stops is magical and then suddenly a new track!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Finishing up the Beethoven "Unknown Works" today with:

12 Variations for piano and violin on "Se vuol ballare" from Mozart's "Le Nozze di Figaro", WoO 40
                  Adagio for mandolin and piano, WoO 43, No. 2
                  Sonatina for mandolin and pino, WoO 44, No. 1
                  12 Variations for piano and cello on a theme from Handel's "Judas Maccabaeus", WoO 45
                  Three pieces for music clock, WoO 33
                  Variations for two oboes and cor anglais on "La ci darem la mano" from Mozart's "Don Giovanni", WoO 28
                  Trio for piano, flute, and bassoon, WoO 37
                  25 Scottish Songs, Op. 108
                  Some Irish Songs from WoO 158
                  Sextet, Op. 81b
                  Ten Varied Themes, Op. 107
                  Duo for clarinet and bassoon, WoO 27, No. 1

Of note here is Op. 107 which uses both flute AND violin. An odd choice, and I actually wish they had used only violin here, because I'm not sure there are any recordings of Op. 107 with violin, unlike Op. 105, which is kind of odd in itself.

Also, there are some hilariously thick German accents in these Scottish and Irish songs!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Finishing up the Beethoven "Unknown Works" today with [...] 25 Scottish Songs, Op. 108, [s]ome Irish Songs from WoO 158 [...]. Also, there are some hilariously thick German accents in these Scottish and Irish songs!
                    Such as Ach Ja, die Neu (Och Aye, the Noo) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      Such as Ach Ja, die Neu (Och Aye, the Noo) ?
                      Precisely!

Anyway, this trip has caused me to want to bring out the Orchestral Works volume of the DG Complete Beethoven Edition, so for this evening:

The Creatures of Prometheus, Op. 43
                      Ritterballett, WoO 1
                      The WoO 7, 8, and 14 dances

Comment

Today:

Keuris:
                        Symphony in D (1995)

Stravinsky;
                        Symphony in C

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          Finishing up the Beethoven "Unknown Works" today with:

Adagio for mandolin and piano, WoO 43, No. 2
                          Sonatina for mandolin and pino, WoO 44, No. 1
                          Duo for clarinet and bassoon, WoO 27, No. 1

Of note here is Op. 107 which uses both flute AND violin. An odd choice, and I actually wish they had used only violin here, because I'm not sure there are any recordings of Op. 107 with violin, unlike Op. 105, which is kind of odd in itself.

Also, there are some hilariously thick German accents in these Scottish and Irish songs!
                          Regarding Op. 107, I must have the same recording as you because some variations use the flute and others the violin. The same goes for the Germanic acccents in the Scottish and Irish songs.
                          The mandolin sonatinas have always been a favourite of mine, but I only came across the clarinet and bassoon duos about a year ago. However, these last are almost universally regarded nowadays as spurious.

However, today I have been listening to Mahler. His Tenth - or rather Deryck Cooke's realisation of it.

Comment

Another thread put me in the mood for some Carmina Burana. I am currently listening to a recording done by Herbert Blomstedt with the San Francisco Symphony and Chorus. (Actually, I've been meaning to listen to this again and was reminded of it through the Performance Today program, which was featuring some selections.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              I only came across the clarinet and bassoon duos about a year ago. However, these last are almost universally regarded nowadays as spurious.
                              the jury is still out on the WoO 27 duos (which btw were recorded for violin and 'cello as well). Henle has just published this Urtextausgabe http://www.henle.de/index.cfm?lang=de&open=14&hn=974

But the weren't included in the DGG CBE as being spurious.
                              Last edited by Roehre; 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Finishing up the DG Vol. 3 today with:

Corolian overture, Op. 62
                                Nameday overture, Op. 115
                                Egmont, Op. 84
                                Wellington's Victory, Op. 91
                                The Ruins of Athens, Op. 113
                                The Consecration of the House. Op. 124/WoO 98/Hess 118
                                Leonore Prohaska, WoO 96
                                King Stephan, Op. 117
                                Die schone Schusterin, WoO 91
                                WoO 2b (from an earlier version of Fidelio)
                                WoO 2a (from Tarpeja)
                                Germania, WoO 94
                                Es ist vollbracht, WoO 97
                                Vestas Feurer, Hess 15

Comment

Working...
                                X