X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    600 CD's

Gurn, you don't do things by halve!
    Yes, Mendelsson and also Dvorak and... a long list to raise indeed! It will need time. For now, as matters stand: Op. 111

Comment

This morning its JC Arriaga's Symhony in D Major. Arriaga was once called the Spanish Mozart. He was born on January 27, 1806, fifty years after Mozart. Sadly he died in his 19th year. Small output, good music.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:

Yes, Mendelsson and also Dvorak and... a long list to raise indeed! It will need time. For now, as matters stand: Op. 111

ANDANDNAD???
        how was it like?
        great sonata isn't it.
        sorry for this pushy remark but I'm VERY anxious to know what you hold of this piece.

Regards,
        Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
          This morning its JC Arriaga's Symhony in D Major. Arriaga was once called the Spanish Mozart. He was born on January 27, 1806, fifty years after Mozart. Sadly he died in his 19th year. Small output, good music.
          King, I have heard of Arriaga but never found any of his music to listen to. Would you characterize it as "classical", "romantic" or "other"?

And now, pursuing the Mendelssohn theme for a while longer, the Trio in c minor for Piano & Strings - #2 - Op 66 - It could be argues that his piano trios are unsurpassed, certainly by any that came after him despite their greatness. Now before him...
          PS - Pastorali - Well, the fruits of 8 years of serious collecting (just ask my wife, she will tell you, and tell you.. )

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
            Originally posted by Pastorali:

ANDANDNAD???
            how was it like?
            great sonata isn't it.
            sorry for this pushy remark but I'm VERY anxious to know what you hold of this piece.

Regards,
            Ruud
            Ruud
            It is more as fulfilling my expectations! I'm totally happy with it and also listening to Op. 101 and 109, which are new to me. I see it as a luxury, to have first touch to these great works - one can have that just one time!
            PS: If you name me again 'Pastorelli', then I name you Rudi Carell...

Comment

Not right now but last night...

I went to see the comemorative concerto on the new additions to the E.U. promoted by some embassys, they managed to get two OUTSTANDING pianinsts, the first played Liszt's Totentanz, the second, Chopin's second concerto, really amazing, since the orchestra was being conducted by a good guest conductor, they managed to receive a 'Bravo' from me .

------------------

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                King, I have heard of Arriaga but never found any of his music to listen to. Would you characterize it as "classical", "romantic" or "other"?

And now, pursuing the Mendelssohn theme for a while longer, the Trio in c minor for Piano & Strings - #2 - Op 66 - It could be argues that his piano trios are unsurpassed, certainly by any that came after him despite their greatness. Now before him...
                PS - Pastorali - Well, the fruits of 8 years of serious collecting (just ask my wife, she will tell you, and tell you.. )

Gurn, Arriaga was a composer from the romantic period. He was a wunderkind having composed 2 operas, an overture, works for piano, before his 16th year. He also composed 3 wonderful string quartets and one Symphony for large orchestra. He attended the Paris Conservatory where he acquired full knowledge of harmony in 3 months and with in 2 years had mastered counterpoint and fugue. Just think what this young man of 19 might have done had he lived another 30 or 40 years. Some of his music remindes me of an early Franz Schubert.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 05-06-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                  "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)

I'm not sure for my later evening. The Missa ore the Ode? One will make the race...
                  Right now it's Mozart and his beautiful Piano Concerto #22 K. 482
                  in about two hours ...zzz zzz..., and of course the Sonatas!

Comment

Gurn, Arriaga was a composer from the romantic period. He was a wunderkind having composed 2 operas, an overture, works for piano, before his 16th year. He also composed 3 wonderful string quartets and one Symphony for large orchestra. He attended the Paris Conservatory where he aquired full knowledge of harmony in 3 months and with in 2 years had mastered counterpoint and fugue. Just think what this young man of 19 might have done had he lived another 30 or 40 years. Some of his music remindes me of an early Franz Schubert.
                    King,
                    Thanks for that info. The most telling phrase is the last, an early Franz Schubert. That speaks volumes. I will look for the string quartets first, always the best way to get to know a composer. If he can write a good quartet, the rest is a piece of cake.
                    Speaking of which, right now is the Quartet in Eb - #5 - Op 44 #3 of Felix (Happy!) Mendelssohn. Now HE can write a good quartet!!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 05-05-2004).]
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

King
                      Sounds interesting, thanks for info! Some is on the market, even the Symphony on Naxos http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg I will keep that name in mind.
                      While writing this, Concerto #11 has began. ok, well!

Comment

For me this afternoon it's Mozart's Symphony No. 25 in g K 183 Conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra. It's a wonderful piece all the way through but that first movement, ahhhh, brilliant!!

------------------
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 05-05-2004).]
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Many Stabat Maters:

Vivaldi
                          Gregorian chant
                          Arvo Part
                          Palestrina
                          John Browne

Comment

Originally posted by Jin:
                            Many Stabat Maters:

Vivaldi
                            Gregorian chant
                            Arvo Part
                            Palestrina
                            John Browne
                            Concerning Stabat Maters, I have a few questions:
                            1- Does anyone recommend a good recording of Haydn's Stabat Mater and Te Deum?
                            2- Should I spend some good money on Spering's recording of Cherubini's Requiem?

Thanks, and also, I'm deeply immersed in Beethoven's Razumovsky and Harp quartet, crowned with the Grosse Fugue, with compliments from Sony Classical.
                            _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
                            "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)

[This message has been edited by Rutradelusasa (edited 05-06-2004).]
                            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                              For me this afternoon it's Mozart's Symphony No. 25 in g K 183 Conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra. It's a wonderful piece all the way through but that first movement, ahhhh, brilliant!!

Joy, you're right, the "Little g minor" is a great piece, rightly called Mozart's first great composition. I have heard that version of it is particularly good too. Super
                              For me right now, Franz Joseph Haydn wrote a few little duos for Violin & Cello, called his Op 23 (the only works other than the string quartets that use opus #'s) and this one is in F major, #6 - surely it is a major accomplishment to make 2 instruments fill out a piece of music as well as 3 or 4 would do, no?

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This morning again Opus 123, perhaps not imaginative but verrrrrrrrry goooooood!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X