No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now, the Quartet in D major for Strings - #7 - D 94 - Franz Schubert - Amazing that a time existed when music of this quality was written for the family to sit around the living room and amuse themselves with!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      And now, the Quartet in D major for Strings - #7 - D 94 - Franz Schubert - Amazing that a time existed when music of this quality was written for the family to sit around the living room and amuse themselves with!

Since we have stereo equipments, even musically untalented people can do that
      But it's something that's going lost in our technical and fast living time of today.

Peter Tschaikowsky: Symphony #6, op.74

Comment

I have a high priority to complete my collection of Haydn Symphonies, "Lamentations" is reputed to be among the best of the early ones, I have 22 & 31, nothing between them.

Gurn, how many Haydn Symphonies do you have in your collection? With 104 out there, that's going to be a mighty big collection!

For me today's listening included B's Symphony No. 1, even for his first it was rather different than things before him. He was already making changes!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          Gurn, how many Haydn Symphonies do you have in your collection? With 104 out there, that's going to be a mighty big collection!

For me today's listening included B's Symphony No. 1, even for his first it was rather different than things before him. He was already making changes!

96???

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto in D, op.35,

Comment

Fabulous evening yesterday at the Queen Elizabeth Hall listening to string quartets by Haydn, Mozart and Schubert ( Death and the Maiden) played by the Quatuor Mosaique. Fascinating seeing the development of the form through linked pieces played on period instruments. Can see how after the Schubert, Shostakovich would be a historical inevitability though it took a long while to get there! Today its LVB's 4th as performed by Kleiber - yes i finally got it and it excels all expectations. If the man had only recorded a 9th ( or even a 3rd) I'd be in heaven!

------------------
            Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 05-10-2004).]
            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Pastorali,
              Yes, but playing a CD and playing a cello have some differences in technique. One cannot bow a CD quite the same, and pizzicatto is right out

Joy,
              I have only about half of them, I guess, and all by different performers, some great performances and some fairly routine ones. I actually think that the only way to get them all is to buy a box set, because some of them are not available on single CD's. Of course, it is 33 discs in a set...

Right now, I am listening to a D major Violin Concerto also, but mine is Op 61 of Beethoven - just such a good concerto, unbelievable.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                Fabulous evening yesterday at the Queen Elizabeth Hall listening to string quartets by Haydn, Mozart and Schubert ( Death and the Maiden) played by the Quatuor Mosaique. Fascinating seeing the development of the form through linked pieces played on period instruments. Can see how after the Schubert, Shostakovich would be a historical inevitability though it took a long while to get there! Today its LVB's 4th as performed by Kleiber - yes i finally got it and it excels all expectations. If the man had only recorded a 9th ( or even a 3rd) I'd be in heaven!

J.A.
                Oh, I am just so jealous! They are the great authentic instruments quartet performing right now, I have heard their recordings, but to see them live must have been a treat. Of course, if they showed up where I could see them, they would have to be well and truly lost, as I am.
                I have also been looking around for that Kleiber CD. Can you post the label and cat. number please? I may actually be able to dig it up, mail order, of course.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn
                  You can bow CD's! That goes well, I've tried it out with some of Eminem
                  You're right about this box of Haydn Symphonies. 33 CD's? Have you such a box on your list? Do you know a price? Otherwise, it will grow up to an endless mess...
                  PS: Thanks a lot for response cause Hess 15! That CD 0004 seems to be a hot piece! I wrote to my local CM dealer, asking for this one. I guess you have it!? How is it????

My tones now are Tschaikowsky's 'Meditation' Op.42, No.1, how romantic!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 05-11-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                    Gurn
                    You can bow CD's! That goes well, I've tried it out with some of Eminem
                    You're right about this box of Haydn Symphonies. 33 CD's? Have you such a box on your list? Do you know a price? Otherwise, it will grow up to an endless mess...
                    PS: Thanks a lot for response cause Hess 15! That CD 0004 seems to be a hot piece! I wrote to my local CM dealer, asking for this one. I guess you have it!? How is it????

My tones now are Tschaikowsky's 'Medidation' Op.42, No.1, how romantic!
                    P.
                    That's brilliant! I will try to bow some pop music myself now that you've given me the idea
                    I have seen such a box from Brilliant, the price range is huge, from $75 to $175 US. Reviews have been excellent. It is the same recordings as on Nimbus, they simply leased them and put them in one box instead of in sets of 3-5 disks, and knowing Brilliant, they economised by not putting liner notes either.
                    No, I had never even consdered Hess 15 until your post yesterday. I note that it is 12-14 minutes long, so it is substantial for a fragment. I guess I will try to get it.
                    Now, the Trio for Piano & Strings in F - #1 - Op 18 - Camille St. Saens - a very worthy addition to the trio repertoire!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

P.
                      That's brilliant! I will try to bow some pop music myself now that you've given me the idea
                      I have seen such a box from Brilliant, the price range is huge, from $75 to $175 US. Reviews have been excellent. It is the same recordings as on Nimbus, they simply leased them and put them in one box instead of in sets of 3-5 disks, and knowing Brilliant, they economised by not putting liner notes either.
                      No, I had never even consdered Hess 15 until your post yesterday. I note that it is 12-14 minutes long, so it is substantial for a fragment. I guess I will try to get it.
                      Now, the Trio for Piano & Strings in F - #1 - Op 18 - Camille St. Saens - a very worthy addition to the trio repertoire!

Gurn
                      Brilliant is also the price! Even 175$ is cheap for such a bunch. Must check it out too!
                      Dvorak: Sonatina in G major, Op.100. With such romantic strings, I keep in the east...

Some hours later...
                      Gurn! Yep, I got it in order. Here, the price is about 146$.
                      On Brilliant with Adam Fischer and Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchstra. Recorded in Eisenstadt. 33x

Op.25 LvB a wonderful Serenade in D major for Flute, Violin, Viola (Bratsche), Cello and Pastorali.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 05-11-2004).]

Comment

P.
                        You have ordered it then? That is great. I really must do that myself, and soon before the price goes up again.
                        That Serenade is great, last night I listened to the Flute & Piano version of it (Op 41) with Rampal on the flute. Very nice also.
                        But right now, I am listening to Quartet in F for Strings - #2 - Op 22 - Tchaikovsky. His oeuvre of chamber music is very small, only 5 works, because the Russians didn't consider it manly to write for anything other than big orchestra, but I think it is some of his best work. Oh well.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

For me today it was a universal favourite, Beethoven's 5th Symphony by, who else? Carlos Kleiber! Such power!!! The fourth movement is remarkable!!

------------------

Comment

J.A.
                            Oh, I am just so jealous! They are the great authentic instruments quartet performing right now, I have heard their recordings, but to see them live must have been a treat. Of course, if they showed up where I could see them, they would have to be well and truly lost, as I am.
                            I have also been looking around for that Kleiber CD. Can you post the label and cat. number please? I may actually be able to dig it up, mail order, of course.

Dear Gurn
                            But of course! Its on Orfeo and the catalogue number is C 100 841 B. Happy hunting! I got my copy at HMV Oxford Street when I was buying another copy of the 6th - the young salesman was congratulating me on my taste and we were mutually worshipping at the shrine of LVB and Maestro Kleiber and cooing over the magnificence of his recordings of 5,6 & 7, when he asked me if I knew they had his recording of the 4th and practically leapt over the desk to find it for me when I said no really! He then apologised for forcing it into my hands but I just told him he'd done me the most enormous favour. Now that's what I call service!

------------------
                            Beethoven the Man!
                            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

JA,
                              Thank you so much. Always so much easier to find such when one has the number! You Londoners do have it well off there, I have several correspondents there who seem to be able to walk out and just pick up any music they desire. Not to complain as I love it here in Texas, but where I am, this is not even a remote possibility. So it goes
                              Well, I am listening to the superb Op 50 String Quartets of Joseph Haydn, right now, the Eb #3. Crikey this is good stuff!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Bless the Internet - our connection to the whole world!
                                For me now: Martin Jones plays Brahms Variations on a theme of Handel Op.24. And later then that Organ transcription of it. What a Joy, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X