No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earlier this morning, while I drove my sister to school, I was listening to Siegfried's forging song, later, when I was driving myself to university, Beethoven's 8th, with Klemperer.
    When I drive myself home again, it will be Beethoven's 1st piano concerto, Gardiner.

------------------
    "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

For me, more Mendelssohn again today. He is like potato chips, when once you begin eating, it is hard to stop!
      This is the Sonata in C major for Bratsche & Piano - WoO - an early work that nonetheless sounds very mature, and finishes up with a marvelous theme & variations. Hard to believe that he never published this piece in his lifetime.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It's the same with 'Jelly Babies' and with young Louis' his Opus 1. That dude did it!!! Piano Trio #2 & 3. A lot of fun! unfortunately the #1 is not on this Nimbus CD, that would make it perfect...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Joy, you're right, the "Little g minor" is a great piece, rightly called Mozart's first great composition. I have heard that version of it is particularly good too. Super
          For me right now, Franz Joseph Haydn wrote a few little duos for Violin & Cello, called his Op 23 (the only works other than the string quartets that use opus #'s) and this one is in F major, #6 - surely it is a major accomplishment to make 2 instruments fill out a piece of music as well as 3 or 4 would do, no?

Gurn, I have to agree with you about that! Now you gave me a taste for Haydn, I'll have to dig something out! As for me today it's Mendelssohn as well and his Hebrides Overture. I have to admit I've been in a Mendelssohn mood lately.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
            It's the same with 'Jelly Babies' and with young Louis' his Opus 1. That dude did it!!! Piano Trio #2 & 3. A lot of fun! unfortunately the #1 is not on this Nimbus CD, that would make it perfect...
            Jelly Babies, potato chips, popcorn comes to mind, yum!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 05-06-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Jelly Babies, potato chips, popcorn comes to mind, yum!

Joy
              I rather take popcorn than popculture but Gurn can make one hungry, this time for Mendelsson...My M. is limited, so I drifted to Brahms:
              Variations and Fugue on a theme of Handel Op.24, Intermezzi Op. 117

Comment

Yet more Jelly Babies... er... Mendelssohn 6 Variations for Cello & Piano Op 17 - Reaching the end of my Mendelssohn chamber music collection, guess it will be on to concertos and symphonies next.
                P., I thought you would seize that "Bratsche" reference and point out your good influence on me!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                  Yet more Jelly Babies... er... Mendelssohn 6 Variations for Cello & Piano Op 17 - Reaching the end of my Mendelssohn chamber music collection, guess it will be on to concertos and symphonies next.
                  P., I thought you would seize that "Bratsche" reference and point out your good influence on me!

I have seen you are a 'Bratscher' and I was remembering the Viola, merely a interactiv influence!
                  Your comment about String Quartets too. A interesting idea, also for me to take at least a crumb of the cake
                  Now: Tschaikowsky 'Nussknacker-Suite' op.71
                  Romeo and Julia
                  Serenade for Strings Op.48

Comment

And also Tschaikowsky's 'Caracter Dances' Op.71a on the same CD. 'Arabic Dance', 'Blumenwalzer' etc. very beautiful alltogether, but my goodness, what means 'Dance of fairy Dragée'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      Gurn, I have to agree with you about that! Now you gave me a taste for Haydn, I'll have to dig something out! As for me today it's Mendelssohn as well and his Hebrides Overture. I have to admit I've been in a Mendelssohn mood lately.
                      Joy,
                      Well, then I shall go with the Haydn too, sounds like a splendid idea. Now is the Sonata in Eb for Piano - #29 - Hob 16:45 - true, they are not Beethovenian, but they ARE Haydnesque, and that is all they need to be!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

And also Tschaikowsky's 'Caracter Dances' Op.71a on the same CD. 'Arabic Dance', 'Blumenwalzer' etc. very beautiful alltogether, but my goodness, what means 'Dance of fairy Dragée'
                        P.
                        Haven't seen that word before, and yet you German speakers have your share of oddities My guess is "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" as that is all that fits from the Nutcracker. Note the celeste part, this is the very first instance of a celeste ever, T had heard of its invention n Paris and he hurried there to purchase the first and get it into a piece of music before Rimsky-Korsakov, his rival in a few things, primarily orchestration and particularly tone color, was able to get it. Still today the most distinctive use of the instrument. Recently though I heard the Mozart pieces for glass harmonica with the glass harmonica parts played on the celeste and they were marvelous. What a great idea!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mozart's "Adagio and Rondo in C minor, K617 for Glass Harmonica, Flute, Oboe and Cello" and the "Adagio in C major, K617a for Glass Harmonica".

Comment

Andrea,
                            Yes! Those are the ones. What instrument is being used? I have found only a few that use the real glass harmonica, the one with celeste, some with harp (!) and then the rest just say "the heck with it, we'll play it on the piano!". Great music anyway.
                            And this morning, the other end of Mozart's oeuvre, the Quartet for Strings in C major, #10 K 170 - one can only compare with what else was around at the time, by that reckoning I can only predict that this guy will be going places!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

To tell you my newest oddities:
                              The morning was reserved for the late Piano Sonatas and the afternoon for Liszt, his Piano trnscrptns of B's. Symphonies. Right now #1 + #3 the greatful Eroica. A nice combination, these two Symphonies on that Naxos piece.

Gurn, you Gourmet! Dragée is a pill, so I assume "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" could be slightly wrong, I'm still confused

Comment

Joy
                                I rather take popcorn than popculture but Gurn can make one hungry, this time for Mendelsson...My M. is limited, so I drifted to Brahms:
                                Variations and Fugue on a theme of Handel Op.24, Intermezzi Op. 117

Excellent choice. One of my favourites of Brahm's.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X