X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STF92 View Post
    Leonin:
    Organa (Harmonia Mundi, HMC1148).
    One of my favourites (Viderunt omnes in both the versions of Leoninus and Perotinus one of my absolute Desert Island works, IIRC the former is featuring on that CD, am I correct?)

Comment

You remember well

A1 - Troped Introit [6:01]
      A2 - Kyrie [2:13]
      A3 - Gradualia "Viderunt Omnes" (organum) [7:47]
      A4 - Alleluia (organum) [7:50]
      A5 - Evangelium [2:55]
      B1 - Offertory "Tui Sunt Coeli" [8:22]
      B2 - Preface, Sanctus (organum) [6:08]
      B3 - Agnus Dei [0:56]
      B4 - Communion "Viderunt Omnes" [3:56]
      B5 - Ite Missa Est, Deo Gratias (organum) [4:03]

Ensemble Organum, conductor Marcel Pérès. The recording was made in July 1984, engineered by Jean-Francois, and released originally on LP in 1985 by Harmonia Mundi (HMC 1148). It has not to my knowledge ever been released on CD, which is puzzling as its a remarkable recording.

Comment

Stockhausen:
        Zyklus, for one percussionist (1959)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

How impressive the Complete Beethoven may be, it shows some signs of haste and trying to realize something great on the cheap I'm afraid.
          Whatever its shortcomings, it was a beautiful production. It cost me five hundred pounds sterling in 1997 (and nearly cost me my marriage!)
          At the time, I didn't expect a "complete" edition to come out until the two anniversaries of 2020 or 2027 so I had to grab it at the time.

I see that a new set costs five times that amount today and one seller is looking for four thousand pounds sterling!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Bee...0874832&sr=8-2

Comment

The DGG Complete Beethoven Edition may be the least complete, but I think it is also the highest in quality, overall. Personally, I preferred to assemble my own "complete edition", but I did get several volumes of the DGG edition in the process:

Vol. 3: Orchestral Works / Music for the Stage (Though I think I have almost everything here on other discs)
            Vol. 6: Piano Works (Most of these I have on other discs as well)
            Vol. 14: Misc. Chamber Works
            Vol. 16: Lieder
            Vol. 17: Folksong Arrangements (Actually a later release of the same recordings)
            Vol. 18: Secular Vocal Works

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Whatever its shortcomings, it was a beautiful production. It cost me five hundred pounds sterling in 1997 (and nearly cost me my marriage!)
              At the time, I didn't expect a "complete" edition to come out until the two anniversaries of 2020 or 2027 so I had to grab it at the time.

I see that a new set costs five times that amount today and one seller is looking for four thousand pounds sterling!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Bee...0874832&sr=8-2
              I had the same thoughts and "invested" that money too (well, looking at the amazon-link it certainly is an investment, isn't it ).
              And it is a beautiful production indeed.

But looking at the 1970 DGG Beethoven Edition we shouldn't complain:
              75 LPs (released in 12 multi-LP-sets between September 1969 and August 1970) for the sum of £107.5s.8d. if you subscribed to the whole lot, or £164.1s.3d. if you didn't .

And there was something weird about the policy of that Edition as well. There were 3 promo-LPs, each with music which didn't (re-)appear in the Edition's LP-sets : i.a. the Marches WoO 18 etc, Wellington's Victory, Ruins of Athens (complete), highlights from Prometheus or the Ritterballet, are not to be found on any of the 75 LPs of the Edition proper.
              Which brilliant marketeer thought this a good idea????

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                And there was something weird about the policy of that Edition as well. There were 3 promo-LPs, each with music which didn't (re-)appear in the Edition's LP-sets : i.a. the Marches WoO 18 etc, Wellington's Victory, Ruins of Athens (complete), highlights from Prometheus or the Ritterballet, are not to be found on any of the 75 LPs of the Edition proper.
                Which brilliant marketeer thought this a good idea????
                I actually have those three promo LPs from way back in 1970 but I never realised that the music never turned up in the vinyl edition. Almost all of it was used in the CD set.

Comment

Today:

Saygun:
                  Symfonie nr.5 op.70 (1984)
                  Violin concerto op.44 (1967)
                  Suite for orchestra op. 14 (1934)

Schubert:
                  Die Freunde von Salamanka - opera in 2 acts D.326 (1815/’16)

Joubert:
                  Cello concerto op.171 (2010/’11) (R3: Music Nation in Shrewsbury)
                  (I’ve never known Shostakovich composed a third cello concerto)

Comment

This morning I awakened to Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto. Later it was Sibelius' 3rd Symphony, 1st movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      This morning I awakened to Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto. Later it was Sibelius' 3rd Symphony, 1st movement.
                      I'm particularly fond of the Sibelius 3rd but my favourite is the modal 6th.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Beck:
                        Pandore: overture (1787) (R3: TtN)

Gossec:
                        Sabinus: Ballet Suite (1774) (R3: TtN)

Liszt:
                        Die Legende von der heiligen Elisabeth S.2 (1857/’62)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          I'm particularly fond of the Sibelius 3rd but my favourite is the modal 6th.
                          For some reason that one (the 6th) has been difficult for me but I will keep working on it. I enjoy it when I listen, but it just does not have staying power for me, mentally.

Today:

Berlioz: Roman Carnival Overture
                          Massenet: Intermezzo from "Roma"
                          Respighi: "The Fountains of Rome"

(For some reason I just feel like roaming around today.)

Comment

Today:

Shostakovich:
                            Cello concerto no.2 in g op.126 (1966)

Been very busy today

Comment

This morning:

Brahm's Double Concerto

Comment

Today:

Röntgen:
                                String Sextet in G major (1931) (R3: TtN)

Sweelinck:
                                Cantiones sacrae 5 Vocum (1619)

Comment

Working...
                                X