This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    A minor violin sonata, Opus 23. Perlman & Ashkenazy. This was originally published with the same opus number as the more famous "Spring" sonata but it became seperated.
    Anne-Sophie Mutter has mentioned somewhere that they should be played or listened to as a pair - the darker more urgent tones of the A minor complementing the sunnier Opus 24.
    I think that's excellent advice from Anne-Sophie - op.23 is a wonderful piece and sadly overlooked in favour of the more popular Op.24.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      I think that's excellent advice from Anne-Sophie - op.23 is a wonderful piece and sadly overlooked in favour of the more popular Op.24.
      The a-minor and the F-major sonatas were conceived as a pair and only "by mistake" (the publisher prepared the scores "portrait" and "landscape" sized, respectively) separated.

Mutter's advice makes perfectly sense.

It meant also that Die Geschöpfe des Prometheus -to which opus number 24 originally had been given- now got op.43 (though the piano-reduction still bears opus 24 :-) ).

Comment

Today:

Mortelmans:
        Elegy I – In Memoriam (1917)
        Elegy II – Exaltation (1917)

Liszt:
        Die Legende von der heiligen Elisabeth S.2 (1857/’62) (R3: Ao3)

De Vocht:
        Cello concerto in d (1956)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          She married the decrepit Andre Previn (Andrew Preview - Michael knows what I mean ). Lucky guy - she's a very beautiful woman.

Am I allowed to say that the Opus 23 sonata is one of my least favourite LvB opus works?

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
            She married the decrepit Andre Previn (Andrew Preview - Michael knows what I mean ). Lucky guy - she's a very beautiful woman.
            And she divorced him last year (now being a widow and a divorcee ).

Comment

I don't know why, but I didn't know that. What an idiot I am...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                What an idiot I am...
                You are if you don't like Opus 23. Maybe you have Eric Morecambe's version (or Godzilla's).
                Next you'll be telling us you don't like the folksong arrangements.

Last edited by Michael; 02-25-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

After being reminded by Roehre above, today I am listening to Beethoven's piano arrangement of "The Creatures of Prometheus".
                  (I wonder if they'll use any of it in the new Ridley Scott movie.)

Comment

After being reminded by Roehre above, today I am listening to Beethoven's piano arrangement of "The Creatures of Prometheus".
                    (I wonder if they'll use any of it in the new Ridley Scott movie.)
                    Michael, has your piano arrangement performance by any chance 2 mvts not to be found in the integral ballet score, one placed immediately following (orchestral) no.12 (12 = Solo di Gioja.Allegro; this alternative mvt marked Adagio - Rondo) and one immediately after (orchestral) no.13 (between 13= Allegro and 14= Solo della Casentini), this alternative mvt marked Adagio?

That would be very interesting.
                    Last edited by Roehre; 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

No - the piano reduction I have is identical to the orchestral version (of which I have about three different recordings).
                      The arrangement is played by Cyprien Katsaris and is described on the cover as a "World Premiere Recording", although there is some dispute about that. Recordings of the piano version (which is Beethoven's own) are quite rare.
                      I'm very curious about the extra movements. I never even knew they existed. Have you come across them in the sheet music?

Would these be them?

http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/sear...ce=biam240.mp3

Last edited by Michael; 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

No - the piano reduction I have is identical to the orchestral version (of which I have about three different recordings).
                        The arrangement is played by Cyprien Katsaris and is described on the cover as a "World Premiere Recording", although there is some dispute about that. Recordings of the piano version (which is Beethoven's own) are quite rare.
                        I'm very curious about the extra movements. I never even knew they existed. Have you come across them in the sheet music?
                        An arrangement for string quartet was issued with these added movements(Simrock in Bonn, 1831, catalogue no. VN.2966; see also Kinsky-Halm p.103), on which an alternative piano reduction seems to be based. This one is not mentioned in K-H however, but IIRC hinted at in Dorfmüller's 1978 addendum to K-H, and therefore different from the reduction by Beethoven himself (= opus 24 / Hess 90).
                        These are not identical with Biamonti 240 from the Unheard Beethoven site.

Whether Katsaris really made the "World Premiere Recording"?
                        Steven Beck recorded his version (on Monument Records) in 2005, also marked "World premiere recording" .
                        When did Katsaris made his?
                        Last edited by Roehre; 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

You are an endless source of information, Roehre!

The Katsaris recording (which I only acquired last year) was made in 2001 - so maybe the "world premiere" claim is correct.
                          Also, as I may have mentioned before, the disc includes the opening three minutes of Beethoven's own arrangement of the 7th symphony - and that was as far as he got.

Comment

You are an endless source of information, Roehre!

The Katsaris recording (which I only acquired last year) was made in 2001 - so maybe the "world premiere" claim is correct.
                            Also, as I may have mentioned before, the disc includes the opening three minutes of Beethoven's own arrangement of the 7th symphony - and that was as far as he got.
                            Then it looks his claim is rightly made.

The Beethoven piano arrangement of the (slow introduction of) his 7th symphony is recorded on CD 3 of vol.44 of the Hyperion complete Liszt Piano works series as well.
                            But whereas Liszt makes that introduction sounding like an orchestra, Beethoven's own transcription sounds like a transcription.....
                            Btw, the complete score of this Beethoven transcription is included as an appendix at the end of the new edition of the Hess catalogue [Green, James The new Hess catalog of Beethoven’s works. West Newbury, Vermont: Vance Brook, 2003. ISBN 0-964-05703-4]

Comment

Today:

Holmboe:
                              Chamber concerto no.7 opus 37 (oboe and chamber orchestra, 1944/’45)
                              Chamber concerto no.8 opus 38 “Sinfonia concertante” (1945)

Moyzes:
                              Symphony no.1 in D op.31 (1929 rev 1937)

Comment

Guilmant organ symphony no.2
                                Widor organ symphony no.3
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X