• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, Schubert! I did start my day with the Impromptus pieces
    Through the day a lot of Wolferl's Divertimentos and Serenades
    the evening is just right for some Recitativos Cantatas KV.42 & KV.469

Comment

Looks like it's been lots of Schubert listening today. As for me, it's been the lovely Beethoven Piano Concerto #4 and for this evening his Piano Sonata No. 25 with John O'Conor, piano.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Beethoven, 'Appassionata' 0p.57
        Sviatoslav Richter

Haydn, String quartet in G, 0p 77
        Australian String Quartet

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-19-2004).]
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Bach,WTC,Feltzman.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Beethoven's Missa solemnis (the Otto Klemperer/New Philharmonia CD reissue)...like Bach's B minor mass, this music can never be exhausted

Comment

My latest unique historical collectors item is Elly Ney performing on Beethovens historical Graf piano which the master played during the last years of his life.
              I am sure Rod will be interested in this one.

The Pieces played were recorded at Beethovenhaus Bonn.

Andante Favori, Wo0 57

Fur Elise, Wo0 59

Sechs variationen fur Klavier
              'Nel cor piu non mi sento'

Sonata no. 32, 0p. 111

Here are some biographical notes on Elly Ney - http://www.proclassics.de/EllyNey/elly-ney2e.htm

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-19-2004).]

Comment

Mein Lieblings
                Auf dem Radio:

Beethoven - PC no.2
                Mozart - Symphony no.33
                Bach - Suite no.3
                Haydn - Symphony no. 95

Performed by, Simon Crawford [piano]
                Sinfonia VIVA
                Nicholas Kok [cond.]

Comment

Felix Mendelsson Bartholderl
                  Octet in E flat major, op,20 - hot!

Comment

Ah, so we are all having a lovely day's listening then. Super!

Pastrl,
                    Which version of that Octet is that? I love that piece, I have L'Archibudelli and HAusmusik, both on authentic instruments. You are right, amigo, hot!

For me, it is the HIP stylings of Boston Baroque playing J.S. Bach, Orchestral Suites. Very nice!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Just listened to Johann Wilhelm Wilms (1772-1847) Symphony No.7 in C minor. I have to agree with Gurn , this is a treasure that has been hiden away much to long. There are traces of Mendelssohn and it is a true romantic period work. Nothing lacking in this late work of Wilms. The second movement, a poco adagio, is extremely melodic. Another member of the Forgotten Composers Club, the list keeps getting longer. Not another Beethoven but who is?

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Sviatoslav Richter

Amalie
                        Snap - well almost. I've been listening to the Boss's Piano Sonatas 21-27 in the bargain set I mentioned earlier from Jean-Bernard Pommier on Erato. Wonderful performances but how come we only generally ever hear the famous named sonatas? Some of these sound so modern they make the jazz age look uninventive! Anyone any suggestions for ones I should particularly look out for as I perambulate through this set or for even better recordings?

------------------
                        Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 10-19-2004).]
                        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                          Originally posted by Amalie:

Sviatoslav Richter

Amalie
                          Snap - well almost. I've been listening to the Boss's Piano Sonatas 21-27 in the bargain set I mentioned earlier from Jean-Bernard Pommier on Erato. Wonderful performances but how come we only generally ever hear the famous named sonatas? Some of these sound so modern they make the jazz age look uninventive! Anyone any suggestions for ones I should particularly look out for as I perambulate through this set or for even better recordings?

Judith, as far as interpreters, I just stick faithfully to the few I know. Besides Brendel, here are others I can recommend for you to explore are - Arrau, Gilels, Richter, Serkin. For period instruments - Radu Lupu, Paul Komen, I am sure others will think of more. Do also listen to Rod's authentic mp3's, when you get a chance, it is always an education - for me anyway!
                          One of the cheaper CD's I bought is actually surprisingly very good with Beethoven's Piano Concerto's 4 & 5, performed by Walter Gieseking [piano]
                          with Philharmonia Orchestra, I often take this one to listen to whilst journeying to work. Sometimes its Vivaldi.
                          Sorry this is a quick message as I am a bit pushed for time.
                          What do folks thing of Robert Levin on Beethoven?

Now I am listening to:
                          JS Bach, 'Wachet auf'
                          City of London Sinfonia

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-20-2004).]

Comment

King,
                            Ah, you are a wise man, no wonder they made you King! I have relistened to that Wilms several times now just to make sure.... yep, it remains excellent. I shall need to check it regularly!

JA,
                            Actually, I am looking for YOUR feedback on the Pommier, as I haven't heard it either, but have seen the chance to acquire it for a song, lied or aria, depending where I order it! Do let us know what you think, madam.

Amalie,
                            Lupu plays a fortepiano? Interesting. Anyway, I have Gieseking playing some sonatas which is a great disk, he had some technique for sure. As for Levin, I have of course his set with Gardiner of the Concertos, which I think is first rate, very interesting, glad I bought it etc.. Also have him playing some Haydn Piano Trios with Beths & Bylsma, another excellent disk.

For me it is 8 Pieces for Clarinet, Cello & Piano - Op 83 - Max Bruch. As it turns out, Bruch was a prolific composer of these little vignettes, they are bagatelles in all but name, and really nicely interesting. Try 'em, you'll like 'em!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Today it's been Beethoven's Leonore Overture #1 by the Vienna Philharmonic with Claudio Abbado, conductor. How many of you choose this Leonore Overture over # 2 and #3?
                              Also heard Mozzart's Piano Concerto #3 and Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #6 always a pleasure.
                              Gurn, I had to listen to Beethoven's 9th again this week conducted by Bernstein. A great one! I know, I know and it's only the middle of the week!!

------------------

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                                [B]King,
                                Ah, you are a wise man, no wonder they made you King! I have relistened to that Wilms several times now just to make sure.... yep, it remains excellent. I shall need to check it regularly!

JA,
                                Actually, I am looking for YOUR feedback on the Pommier, as I haven't heard it either, but have seen the chance to acquire it for a song, lied or aria, depending where I order it! Do let us know what you think, madam.

===========

Amalie,
                                Lupu plays a fortepiano? Interesting. Anyway, I have Gieseking playing some sonatas which is a great disk, he had some technique

Gurn, If my memory serves me well, it was a while back on Radio 3, I heard Lupu on the fortepiano .

I thoroughly enjoyed a wonderful concert lastnight at the Royal Albert Hall with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra performing

Beethoven's Egmont Overture

Brahms Violin Concerto, Sarah Chang
                                [violin], an outstanding performance, IMHO

Beethoven's Symphony no.5,
                                an excellent performance, the finale was ver stirring and well played, with a controlled burst of energy. Truly wonderful!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-21-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X