What Are You Listening to Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are You Listening to Now?

A good sunny Sunday morning to you all! We're on number 5 already? My goodness, that goes fast! Let me get us started on a new thread with a Mozart Symphony No. 41 in C K551 "Jupiter" with conductor Sir Charles Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra.
    Later on today a lot of Beethoven. His Symphonies #1; #6; and #7! Must be a Beethoven Symphonies day on radio!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Right now, same like Joy - Symphony #1 - op.21 - Zinman/TOZ

Comment

Joy,
      Indeed, and what could be nicer, good transition, Jupiter to Beethoven!

Pastrl,
      Zinman does as good on #1 as on #9? I like his tempos, and I like that Zurich Orchestra too.

For me, chamber music time, the Trio in G major for Fortepiano, Violin & Cello - #5 - Hob XV:5 - Joseph Haydn - Trio 1790. Those of us who are fortepiano fans will like the sound of this one, and the wonderful legato playing too.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        A good sunny Sunday morning to you all! We're on number 5 already? My goodness, that goes fast! Let me get us started on a new thread with a Mozart Symphony No. 41 in C K551 "Jupiter" with conductor Sir Charles Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra.

Ahhhhhhh the 41st syphony, such a work! The finale, with it's intricate weaving of voices and it's fugal mastery, what could be more invigorating! Only Mozart could have writen such contrapuntal perfection and certainly all composers must look to this work to see how to write an orchestral fugue!

I am currently listening to Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony in B minor. I think this must be the composer's greatest achievment; with its extremely personal expression, colourful orchestration, thematic unity, and melodic richness, what could be better? It is being performed by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra and conducted by Antoni Wit. It is contained in the Naxos "White Box" of Tchaikovsky's complete symphonies and Piano Concertos; the performances are wonderful and the price cannot be beaten.

[This message has been edited by Haffner (edited 10-06-2004).]

Comment

I'm listening to the Violin and Piano works of Franz Schubert.
          Lovely
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Frequent Symphony listening yesterday!

I continued from Brahms' First Symphony to Mendelsohn's (String) Symphonies, Nos. 11 & 12. These he composed when 13/14 years old. Incredible balanced and skilled, in that respect!

Spaceray Do you mean those 3 Sonatas by Frz.Schubert, the Fantasia, and the Rondo Brillant? They are setting one up for more of his chamber music, I think. All marvellous! (The fantasy, D.934 is a favourite: "Fantasia Favori" one could well call it.) Keep up enjoyable listenings! I shall...
            Ps. If you find this music especially appealing, I most, most warmly(!) recommend you to look for the variations D.802 for flute and piano.Ds

Best G. I was silly in my last message to you, I really was. Since you use abbreviation as token of both friendliness and convenience you might as well continue to do so. I was never offended, you know that, I simply found GER a bit "plain".
            As I have it, you are an inquisite person with a vast experience in music (past-reformation, it was?), and I should be a foul not to ask you for tip in the business.
            I am certainly new in for the Baroque masters, but have nothing but vain clues how to grasp it as whole. All of us have musical conviction, I think, and I feel ours to be similar: In some ways I probably appear unequal to you, and I consequently must aspirate for a "higher" understanding of the masters. In the case of LvB I desire to "get him right". Perhaps, there is time to exemple concrete: You do not seem to stop with one version of a work - You have made it an art to every week (Sunday) implore LvB's D-minor Symphony, in many different shades and lights - so You know what you desire and value, and are also able to convey this fairly to your fellow men.
            I am sincerely pleased by your attitude, here: As a fact you made me very curious to the HOGWOOD interpretations of LvB's symphonies. Are they dispensible, or do you conceive them as superior to others' versions? I am mainly concerning authenticity in respect of LvB's intentions, but naturally also sounds, accentuation and presence of execution. I will be back Wednesday. Have mercy on my soul. / Honours, G.seconda

Good Haffner You did wise to invest in that boxed edition. I have long since those recordings, all on singular disks, and I find them really pleasing. Have seen your posts the 3 last weeks (I was unable to use my computer before then), but take it you are an veteran member of this board. What are your general preferences in music, and composers? I myself like most genres, and most of the 'renowned' composers, 5 in actual thorough reveration (and I seriously mean that!): 1) BEETHOVEN, 2,3,4,5) Händel, Mozart, Schubert, and Tchaikovsky (I call him Tzaykovskiy). Further I continually grew indepted into works of following composers: Brahms, Dvorak, JS Bach, Mandelsohn (Schumann I was on good terms with from outset; not so much Chopin and Liszt, however both are of course fascinating), Berlioz (Refreshing, indeed), Berwald (Swedish composer of striking genuinity, and sometimes awkward effect), and most recent ones are Haydn (FJ - have never come across works by Michael), and Purcell...
            If you got a more composer to add to this, or to dismiss from this listing (heaven forbid), feel free to do so.
            Purcell. - Oh, also CPE Bach to be included.

Comment

Two versions of the Diabelli variations:

Baremboim, an orthodox version.
              Uri Caine & Concerto Koln, quite unorthodox and orchestrated.

As they quote on the winter&winter website that Beethoven said in a letter to Archduke Rudolph): "In the world of art freedom and progress are the main objectives.". I mean, great music and very curious comparison.

Comment

Haffner,
                Yes, uniquely Mozart, although many who came after found this idea intriguing! And why not? Indeed there were few with the facility in composition to have written out 3 great symphonies like this in teh space of a few weeks. And the Tchaikovsky, also another great "last symphony". I don't have the symphonies from that box, but I do have hte piano concertos, and I think Glemser does a splendid job, particularly on the 2 later, lesser-known works. Certainly a lot more competition on #1, but he holds his own there, too.

Spacerl,
                I think the 3 sonatinas are especially nice, not as spoectacular as the Fantasia or the Rondo brillant, but they more than hold their own. Quite charming, actually. Are these HIP versions? I know what a HIPster you are

GerAtlaS,
                Think nothing of it, I have already forgotten!
                Well, in terms of time, I don't appraoch such venerable icons as King Stephen or Rod, but I have made up for my late start by investing 10 hours a day for the last 10 years, so for listening experience I suppose I have amassed a bit. It is a pity that my true understanding of the music is limited by my not having been a musician as many are, but so it goes. I do not notice any particular lack of knowledge on your part to occasion such modesty. You have heard some things that I have not even heard of! As for the Sunday Ritual, I recommend it to all. If it is a piece you love, then find as many different ideas for it as you can, and listen completely. Maybe after 20 years you will understand it too!!
                Well, I personally enjoy the Hogwood set. I have their Mozart set also, which is relevant because I would say that their Mozart is outstanding, while their Beethoven has some pretty good competition. In things like tempi, repeats, etc, Hogwood is the equal of such as Harnoncourt and Gardiner, maybe even more authentic. And the sounds of the authentic instruments are very intriguing on all 3, I found myself wanting to give an extra ear to these versions just to hear what new things it seemed like every playing would bring forth. I guess that for reasons which it is difficult to describe, but somehow the Hogwood set sounds... lifeless, particularly compared to the Gardiner. The other big contender, Hanover Band, I can't speak about anything but their 9th, but it is super. I would really like to get the rest of this cycle to see what they have done with 1 - 8 and the overturen. Have you heard any of those?

atserri,
                I have that Barenboim version, or one of them, I would agree, orthodox, but not mundane. To me he brings out the humor inherent in some variations, and the majesty of others. I am intrigued by the Caine, the idea of orchestrating seems a strange one, how do they occur to you?

For me, it is the Sonatas for Fortepiano of Mozart, Paul Badura-Skoda interpreting. I am only on my first hearing, but I am quite taken with his unusual accenting, he lends a whole different viewpoint. A terrible omission is the lack of any liner notes at all, it would be nice to at least know what sort of fortepiano is involved!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Not a whole lot of time today for listening but managed to squeeze in Beethoven's 8th Symphony earlier and on the drive back from work Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 2 with Conductor James Sedares and the English Chamber Orchestra with Gustavo Romero, piano via radio.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

atserri,
                    I have that Barenboim version, or one of them, I would agree, orthodox, but not mundane. To me he brings out the humor inherent in some variations, and the majesty of others. I am intrigued by the Caine, the idea of orchestrating seems a strange one, how do they occur to you?

My Baremboim version is dated 1966 and yes, when I say orthodox I mean close to the partiture and composer indications, without any negative side on that epithet. As you say, his playing is very "flexible" moving smoothly from humour to solemnity.

Regarding the Caine version, well, the seal winter&winter puts great care in all his records and particularly this pianist, Uri Caine has recorded some records with this seal in which he plays classical music more or less "unothodoxly" : Don't know exactly how many, but besides the Diabelli at least he has recorded the Goldberg variations, a live recording in Venice of overtures and other pieces from Wagner played by 2 violins, cello, bass, accordion and piano (I listened to a walkure piece and was as curious as nice!), and at least one record of Mahler (I heard one track and it was funny; now that epithet is not positive ). I felt curious specially for the diabelli, the goldberg and wagner.

Particularly the diabelli I knew were played on historic instruments (Caine plays an Erard 1839 fortepiano, and Concerto Koln play historical instruments too), which added more curiosity because of the mixture: beethoven played by a reputed pianist and a well-known historical ensemble, with arrangements by the same reputed pianist...

So, (*now he speaks as a child trying to convince his dad he's innocent of something*) one day I was waiting for my girlfriend at the fnac... looking around... got money on my pocket... heard a voice coming from the Beethoven - piano works section calling me... The rest is history

Comment

Today it's Beethoven's piano concertos by Gould. Having really a good time; it only could be better if I wasn't working

Comment

For me it's been 2 complete cycle of pianoconcerto's by beethoven performed by emil gilels, some haydn trio's performed by the beaux arts trio and for the very first time some baryton-trio's very interesting stuff indeed *by haydn*..Also it's been mozarts 40th and 41st symphony, I find it just breathtaking that mozart created a piece with such polyphonic structures *last movement* but which does not sound difficult or academic, just as his fuge in the ouverture of the magic flute I find this one a masterpiece indeed..

Regards,
                        Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

For me it's been 2 complete cycle of pianoconcerto's by beethoven performed by emil gilels, some haydn trio's performed by the beaux arts trio and for the very first time some baryton-trio's very interesting stuff indeed *by haydn*..Also it's been mozarts 40th and 41st symphony, I find it just breathtaking that mozart created a piece with such polyphonic structures *last movement* but which does not sound difficult or academic, just as his fuge in the ouverture of the magic flute I find this one a masterpiece indeed..

Regards,
                          Ruud

Lovely listening from Ruud !

My pieces for the moment are:

Beethoven's Violin Sonata Eb 0p. 12, no 3
                          Hiro Kurosaki (violin)
                          Linda Nicholson (fortepiano)

A new piece for me:
                          Scheidt: 3 Symphoniae for 2 violins and continuo.
                          The Sweenlink Ensemble.

It is really late now, I keep hitting all the wrong keys.
                          -----------------

~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-05-2004).]
                          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

atserri,
                            Thanks for that information, it sounds intriguing, a different sort of concept. One wonders what B might have thought of that!? I have never heard Gould play the concertos, only the sonatas. Do you think that his performance is as individualistic with these as the sonatas are?

Ruud,
                            So you find those baryton works interesting then, eh? I quite agree, the sound of that instrument is very intriguing, sort of like a guitar or harp on the back strings, but more like a cello on the front ones. Imagine the skill to play such a thing! I think also that you have captured the essence of that Mozart fugue, it sounds so much simpler than it is, I guess that is the true artistry of it.

Amalie,
                            Scheidt? Always a new thing that you introduce us to. This one sounds very interesting indeed! Can you give us some idea of what era this comes from? Sounds worth pursuing!

For me, it is the very interesting and unique String Quintet in F major - Anton Bruckner - Melos Quartet/Santiago. If you have hesitated to listen to Bruckner because his symphonies are so imposing, then this, one of only 3 chamber music pieces he wrote, could be the key to his music. It is really, really nice. It is not a symphony for 5 voices, but a real SQ. Delightful, I think the man missed his calling!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

For me, it is the very interesting and unique String Quintet in F major - Anton Bruckner - Melos Quartet/Santiago. If you have hesitated to listen to Bruckner because his symphonies are so imposing, then this, one of only 3 chamber music pieces he wrote, could be the key to his music. It is really, really nice. It is not a symphony for 5 voices, but a real SQ. Delightful, I think the man missed his calling!

[/B]
                              Gurn
                              Wherever do you find all your interesting and unique cds? A great music friend of mine told me that Verdi had dashed off a single
                              string quartet one afternoon just to prove he could .I'm very interested to hear it but so far have not found a recording of it. Do you know of one?

I'm listening to Pastorali's choice of a few pages back,'Une Soiree
                              chez les Jacquin's' A really enjoyable evening of Mozart's music.
                              Thanks Pastorali!
                              spacerl
                              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                              X