What Are You Listening to Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    Well we must disagree then because I think Rimsky's colourful orchestration is very evident in the Firebird and the other early ballets.

And that's what makes things so interesting. Not everybody hears music in the same way and may be that's a good thing because variety enters the picture and we are all better off for it.

Comment

W.A. Mozart
      Serenata Notturna in D major, KV239

Comment

4 Impromptus,D935,Franz Schubert
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Johannes Brahms is reportedly to have said something like "I would gladly give up composing symphonies if I could compose a waltz like Strauss". He was referring to Strauss the younger, who was a close friend of Brahms. So... taking a tip from Brahms I am enjoying an afternoon of the Strauss family music, polkas, waltzes, galops and other potpourri of Strauss music. A good waltz is music that should not be ignored.
          KS

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
            Johannes Brahms is reportedly to have said something like "I would gladly give up composing symphonies if I could compose a waltz like Strauss". He was referring to Strauss the younger, who was a close friend of Brahms. So... taking a tip from Brahms I am enjoying an afternoon of the Strauss family music, polkas, waltzes, galops and other potpourri of Strauss music. A good waltz is music that should not be ignored.
            KS
            There is a wonderful photograph of the two composers standing together - you'd never guess from it that Strauss was the older man!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              There is a wonderful photograph of the two composers standing together - you'd never guess from it that Strauss was the older man!

Peter,
              I have seen that picture and yes Brahms looks a lot older than Strauss. I read where one of the daughters of Strauss at a concert asked Brahms for his autograph. For lack of a plain piece of paper she handed him the program of the concert which was made up of music by Strauss. He looked at it and fondly signed it "Unfortunately not by Brahms".

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Haffner:
                [B]Amalie,
                That wouldn't be John Locke would it, the famous British philosopher? If so I was not aware he was also a composer, that would be most interesting to hear.

Not John Locke, Haffner, but MATTHEW LOCKE, (1621?- 1677). He was perhaps the earliest English composer for the stage. He wrote music for the Coronation of Charles 11, (1661), and was organist to the Queen.

Listening am.

Dvorak: The Noonday Witch - 0p.108
                London Symphony Orchestra

Haydn: Piano Sonata - E minor - XV1 34
                John McCabe [piano]

Bax: Tintagel,
                Ulster Orchestra

Handel's beautifully inspired and moving Oratorio. Saul Act 1.
                Neal Davies, Susan Gritton, Andreas Scholl
                Gabrieli Consort & Players
                Paul McCreesh [cond.]
                A truly outstanding recording that I would recommend for you CD library!

------------------
                ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-17-2004).]
                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

W.A. Mozart
                  'Davidde Penitente' KV.469
                  Cantata for 2 sopranos, tenor, choir & orchestra

Comment

Good morning, Happy Sunday!

Amalie,
                    A couple of gems on your list this morning, The Noon Witch is a great example of Dvorak's ability to not only write in classic forms, but also in currently popular styles like "Symphonic Poems" too. He could have been a Romantic if he wanted to And coincidentally I listened last night to 2 disks from that same McCabe box, including the one with that sonata you mention. I like the way McCabe plays Haydn, not a lot of non-authentic posturing, and his piano sound like a fortepiano (it isn't though) and not a modern grand piano. Bueno!

Pastrl,
                    I understand that Amadé wrote that work by reusing music from one of his masses and putting it to the words. Never heard it, do you like it?

For me, it is the Symphony in d minor, #9 - Op 125 - Herr van Beethoven. Chamber Orchestra of Europe /Harnoncourt. Those of you who have heard my rant about the butchery performed on Mozart's overturen know that I am not a big Harnoncourt fan, but I must say, these B symphonies are an exception to that. Well performed, and I like the brisk tempi. A perfect prelude to a day on the links. HAve a nice day, ya'll

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurnrl
                      'Davidde penitente' is a transcription of KV.427, the Mass in C-moll. Mozart added two Arias and a Cadenza, the lyrics are probably by da Ponte. First time it was played on March 13.+17. 1785, in the Burgtheater, Vienna. I didn't know the source of this work - big surprise while first listen. honestly, I love it!

Freemason Music
                      9 KVs about god, die Freimaurer-connection, creation, space, stars... nice lyrics - nice music

My label of the year is Brilliant, that's for sure!

Comment

Matthew Locke:
                        The flatt consort, 'for my cousin Kemble' Suite no.1, C minor.
                        Consort of Fower Parts, Suite no.1 D minor
                        Consort of Fower Parts, Suite no.2 D minor
                        Laurence Dreyfus [viol]
                        Wendy Gillespie [viol]
                        Jonathan Manson [viol]
                        Markku Loulajan-Mikkola [Bass viol]
                        performed by, Phantasm - violin consort.

------------------

Comment

For my listening pleasure today it's Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat with conductor James Sedares and the English Chamber Orchestra with Gustavo Romero, piano. Also Mozart's Symphony #31 with the English Baroque Soloists and John Eliot Gardiner, conductor.

And in honour of Chopin today via radio is his Etudes #3 and #4. Murray Perahia, piano.

------------------
                          'Truth and beauty joined'
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Wakey, Wakey ya'all, its monday morning and time for work!

Copland:
                            'Fanfare for the Common Man'
                            New York Phil/Leonard Bernstein [cond.]

Francesco Durante: Concerto per quartetto
                            no.6 in A / Concerto Koln
                            Bio of this composer - http://www.goldbergweb.com/en/histor...sers/10786.php

Bach: Orchestral Suite no.3 BWV 1068
                            La Petite Bande

Beethoven: 'Kreutzer' Sonata no. 9,0p.47
                            Mats Zetterquist [ violin ]
                            Mats Widland [ piano ]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-18-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                              Wakey, Wakey ya'all, its monday morning and time for work!
                              Lucky for me,every day's a holiday!
                              I'm listening to Schubert's Fantasie D934.
                              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Amalie,
                                You are a cruel woman! I guess if I woke to Copland's Fanfare I would be looking for someone to share with, too How do La Petitte Bande do with Bach? I have them doing some Haydn which I like, but someone else told me he has them doing something else and thought they were horrible.

Spacerl,
                                Yes, well every day IS an holiday when you get to listen to the lovely Franzrl!

Which I am also doing It is the rare and lovely Octet in F for 2 Oboes, 2 Clarinets, 2 Horns & 2 Bassoons - D 72. This is a fragmentary or possibly unfinished work, it is really quite lovely, differing from his later, completed octet which was scored for 4 winds and 4 strings. I wish he had finished this one too!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 10-18-2004).]
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X