What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to right now?

The other post is getting a bit over crowded again. Let's start this one with a Beethoven Symphony! This morning it was his Symphony No. 8 in F Op 93, one of my personal favourites, with conductor Kurt Masur and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Mozart Rondo and Horn Concertos,With Ab Koster playing natural horn and Bruno Weil conducting Tafelmusik.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

For me the 3rd movement of the sonata opus 27.2 nr 14..Moonlight is a ridiculous reference from the romantic period...
      It's however GREAT....such drive and power..torment and anguish *atleast that's my association*....BEAUTIFULL....
      It's a recording From a collection box by a slavic piano-player...It was cheap but it's the greatest performance of this movement I've heard sofar...

Regards,
      Ruud

Comment

Quartet in F major for Strings - #2 - Op 41 #2 - Robert Schumann - This set of 3 SQ's are Schumann's only chamber works without a piano. It's a shame he didn't believe in himself enough to write more, they are super!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Haydn string quartets op 20 played by the quatuor mosaiques - a period instrument quartet. Sounds wonderfully clear and resonant!

Comment

Shostakovich Symphony No.11 - The revolution of 1905.

A tumultuous time in Russian History.
            March on the Winter Palace at St. Petersburgh and the shooting of the hundreds of demonstrators by the Tsar's troops 1905.

A very well excecuted perfomance of this great work buy the BBC Symphony Orchestra
            The atmospheric invocation of the depths of a Russian winter and the murderous attack on the defensless demonstrators by the Tsar's forces was brilliantly captured in the BBC recording.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-12-2004).]
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Shostakovich? How brave!
              I, ever the conservative, am listening to the Quartet in Eb for Piano & Strings - WoO 36 #1 - L. v. Beethoven. Composed in 1785, it is one of the most amazing examples of what the future Beethoven would sound like, IMHO. The second movement is outstanding, one of my favorites in all B's chamber works.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I received today that Alfredo Perl Box. Hmm? Hard to say my opinion about. Sometimes I miss something. Is it too smooth? Am I used to listen other versions for a too long time? Anyway, he plays good and I am not sure at all...
                After the Moonlight, Appassionata, Pastorale, Waldstein, Hammerklavier and Pathetique I still feel very fine, so it can't be bad! pe(a)rly regards...

Comment

P.
                  Well, my experience in such things is that when I have something new that I have heard many times before in different versions (this happens to me every time with a new "9th" ) it takes a while for my ears to want to hear the different way it is played, but they always do, and I find it very satisfactory. This is a good thing that you got these, I think. And heck, if it doesn't work out, you can always give them to me!
                  But I am listening for now to the Quartet in D major for Strings, Op 50 #6, F. J. Haydn. Good thing for me I never have to pick a favorite from among these, I couldn't do it!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 05-13-2004).]
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Stress Buster!

I am going to need this uplifting one to fire me up for work today, ready for anything!. Yes, here I come Dr. -------y!!

BEETHOVEN'S CHORAL FANTASIA
                    Dresdner Philharmonie.

I'm on top of the world!

"Friede, Friede ist errungen
                    jubelt laut der Menschheit Chor".

Dear God, how I love Beethoven!.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-13-2004).]
                    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                      Stress Buster!

I am going to need this uplifting one to fire me up for work today, ready for anything!. Yes, here I come Dr. -------y!!

BEETHOVEN'S CHORAL FANTASIA
                      Dresdner Philharmonie.

I'm on top of the world!

Dear God, how I love Beethoven!.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-13-2004).]
                      Amalie
                      I'm sadly confessing, I don't know the Choral Fantasy by llistening.

This part of the choir makes me unbelievably mad about it. Sounds great and reminds me oddly to the 9th's 'alla Marcia-end'.
                      I take it on the TOP of my list!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                        P.
                        Well, my experience in such things is that when I have something new that I have heard many times before in different versions (this happens to me every time with a new "9th" ) it takes a while for my ears to want to hear the different way it is played, but they always do, and I find it very satisfactory. This is a good thing that you got these, I think. And heck, if it doesn't work out, you can always give them to me!
                        But I am listening for now to the Quartet in D major for Strings, Op 50 #6, F. J. Haydn. Good thing for me I never have to pick a favorite from among these, I couldn't do it!

True Gurn. In fact, we are talking about the greatest music on earth. I have the same experiences and I take a lot of time and many listenings for that too. Great journeys, most exciting!!! And honestly, Alfredo and I, we came already a bit like friends
                        Now step by step: Piano Sonatas Op.2 No. 1-3. The initiaI spark of B's Piano Sonata compositions. I love it, to explore the works of the young Beethoven!

Comment

P,
                          This is great then. There goes my opportunity to get those disks, I can see now ...
                          Well, I start off the morning right where I left yesterday. On the way to work it was the Septet, Op 20 - and now, the Quartet in C for Piano & Strings - WoO 36 #3 - The Boss!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well...for me it's john lill performing the op.31 sonata's LOVELY pieces and LOVELY plying..sure would líke 'to heár john perform on fortepiano's....

Regards,
                            Ruud.

P.s gurn, I'm no lowlands version of rod :P
                            I am however a joung person scouering/searching the musical universe eager to learn

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

Well...for me it's john lill performing the op.31 sonata's LOVELY pieces and LOVELY plying..sure would líke 'to heár john perform on fortepiano's....

Regards,
                              Ruud.
                              P.s gurn, I'm no lowlands version of rod :P
                              I am however a joung person scouering/searching the musical universe eager to learn
                              Ruud,
                              I meant that only in the nicest way, as I have high consideration for Rod. I was looking at the similarities of your name and interests. And you SHOULD be eager to learn. it doesn't pay to wait until you are old like me and have to learn everything at once because there is not all the time in the world anymore!
                              For me right now, the Symphony in D major - K 073n - W.A. Mozart - Academy of Ancient Music - I predict this boy will be a star some day!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment