What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Stephen:
    I was unaware that JN Hummel composed a symphony. Could you give more information on this work?
    Steve
    Steve
    You're right, it's Johann Nepomuk Hummel's Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra Es-Dur. Joseph Martin Kraus, in fact "The Scandinavian Mozart" his Symphony in F (VB128) Now, all should be correct...

Marcia funebre - Adagio assai, I'm within the second mvmnt of the Eroica (Slovak National Philharmonic Orchestra) very well!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      Does this sound familiar?

My wife would confirm this without batting an eyelid!!! To go one step further: There is even no difference between Beethoven and f.e. Lenny Kravitz. Both musicians! And maniacs too!

Actually the Allegro molto... Eroica!
      (Q.T.L.Pastoralius)

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
        Amalie
        I'm sadly confessing, I don't know the Choral Fantasy by llistening.

"Friede, Friede ist errungen
        jubelt laut der Menschheit Chor".

This part of the choir makes me unbelievably mad about it. Sounds great and reminds me oddly to the 9th's 'alla Marcia-end'.
        I take it on the TOP of my list!

Pastorali,
        Here is some information about Beethoven's CHORAL FANTASIA Op.80

I often think that the Choral Fantasia is not really acknowledged as being one of his finest works. Perhaps owing to the shortness of this work it is hardly ever performed.
        It has the most captivating and beautiful piano themes which is then taken up by the beautifully sung chorus.
        I can personally recommend the version I have and can't see this version being bettered. The CD is on the Capriccio Label
        Which has the Choral Fantasia coupled with the Triple Concerto, also quite breathtaking!
        The words of the chorus was written by Christoph Kuffner, though recent scholars now think that Beethoven may have written the best part of it:

Seid gegrust, last euch empfangen
        von des Friedens Melodien!
        Unser Herz is noch voll Bangen,
        Wolken dicht am Himmel Zeihn.
        Aber seine Leider tonen,
        und der Jugend Tanz und Spiel
        zeugt vom Wahren und vom Schonen,
        ordnet sich zu hohem Ziel.

Wo sich Volker frei entfalten
        und des Friedens Stimme spricht,
        mus sich Herrliches gestalten,
        Nacht und Traume werden Licht,
        Leben wird zu Lust und Wonne,
        wird zu aller Wohlergehn,
        und der Kunste Fruhlingssonne
        last die Welt uns neu erstehn.

Groses, das uns je gelungen,
        bluht im neuen Glanz empor.
        'Friede, Friede is errungen
        jubelt laut der Menschheit Chor.'
        Nehmt denn hin, ihr lieben Freunde,
        froh die Gaben schoner Kunst.
        Wenn sich Geist und Kraft vereinen,
        winkt uns ewgen Friedens Gunst.

The Choral Fantasy was written in 1808 preparation for a gigantic concert of Beethoven's works. You will find info about this concert here; http://www.mvdaily.com/articles/1999/12/ppvienna.htm

I believe that the opening of the Choral Fantasy was actually improvised at the concert to a highly ordered series of variations on a very regular theme ( which was borrowed from his unpublished song " Gegenleibe" of 1794/5. As a model of progress from darkness to light and evolution from primordial chaos to artistic order is unsurpassed, and its overall plan provided an excellent starting point for the Finale of the Ninth Symphony.
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          It is my wife's considered opinion that if I listen to a Mozart sonata or a Scriabin sonata, since they are both played on the piano, they are the same music! Does this sound familiar?

Now Gurn ,you and Pastorali have no one to blame but your selves,you should have looked at bit harder for a mate that loves
          classical music.Otherwise you ought to leave the poor dears out of it. Honestly you men!
          Muriel

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Today I've been largely on my own in the office slogging at boring reports on a lovely day and feeling rather depressed. It has however given me the opportunity to listen to some tapes at a decent volume - LVB's Triple Concerto - Oistrakh, Rostropovich and Richter with the Berlin Phil, conducted by Karajan - which is such obvious fun for the three superheroes in the first movement and so profound in the slow. Also dug out my favourite piano version of Mussorgsky " Pictures at an Exhibition" played by a young, and very cool, Vlad "the Impaler" Ashkenazy , with Lorin Maazel and the LSO joining him on the Tchaikovsky Ist Piano Concerto. Nothing like the Great Gate of Kiev for lifting the spirits.

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 05-14-2004).]
            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
              Just kidding Muriel. In real life, with our musically passion, WE are the poor old fools... Fortunately my wife likes CM, but how could she be so mad about it like I am? For good reasons, she's not!
              My wife and I, we go together to that concert on Saturday, so I'm looking forward gladly... I love her!

Right now: Fidelio Overture op.72

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                Here is some information about Beethoven's CHORAL FANTASIA Op.80
                Thanks Amalie
                The lyrics are very beautiful, this must be a wonderful work indeed. Soon, I will go to 'my' CM store to get some Haydn, then comes my chance for it.

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                  Today I've been largely on my own in the office slogging at boring reports on a lovely day and feeling rather depressed. It has however given me the opportunity to listen to some tapes at a decent volume - LVB's Triple Concerto - Oistrakh, Rostropovich and Richter with the Berlin Phil, conducted by Karajan - which is such obvious fun for the three superheroes in the first movement and so profound in the slow. Also dug out my favourite piano version of Mussorgsky " Pictures at an Exhibition" played by a young, and very cool, Vlad "the Impaler" Ashkenazy , with Lorin Maazel and the LSO joining him on the Tchaikovsky Ist Piano Concerto. Nothing like the Great Gate of Kiev for lifting the spirits.

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 05-14-2004).]

I know too well Judith,

I've been chillin' out in the garden on this beautiful dreamy sunny afternoon on my day off, listening to Beethoven's Triple Concerto, and The Complete String Trios, by the Grimiaux Trio.
                  And another favourite piece of mine, 'Stabat Mater' by, Giovanni Battista Pergolisi, / London Session Orchestra.
                  sung by, Lesley Garrett.
                  To cap it all my husband brought me home a lovely bunch of red roses - no gin and tonic though, just plenty cups of tea..

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-14-2004).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amalie:
                    [B]
                    I know too well Judith,

I've been chillin' out in the garden on this beautiful dreamy sunny afternoon on my day off, listening to Beethoven's Triple Concerto, and The Complete String Trios, by the Grimiaus Trio.
                    And another favourite piece of mine, 'Stabat Mater' by, Giovanni Battista Pergolisi, / London Session Orchestra.
                    sung by, Lesley Garrett.
                    To cap it all my husband brought me home a lovely bunch of red roses - no gin and tonic though, just plenty cups of tea..

Now that sounds more like a life! As an interesting comparison to the Karajan I'm now listening to the version of the Triple played by the Trio Zingara and conducted, with some zest by an ex-Prime Minister, Ted Heath! Its accompanied by the Boccherini Concerto for cello and strings which is going well with a bath and a glass of wine. More of this and I might start feeling better anytime soon!

Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Well, it is so delightful to notice that everyone is listening to as good a music as I am!
                      Judith, I have that version of the Trio Concerto also, you are correct, and I love to hear musicians obviously having a good time with great music.

Pastorali & Amalie, Interesting to see the words to Choral Fantasy, I have a couple of versions of it, but never any indications of what those singers might be telling me

Spaceray, but where would one find such a lady? And if one's current lady is perfect except for this one, small flaw, is this not the same philosophically as the Persian rugmakers who had to put one imperfection into each carpet in order to avoid challenging Allah? It would not behoove me to be so brash!

And right now, for me is the monumental Symphony in Eb - #3 - Op 55 - "Eroica" by The Boss. Berlin Philharmonic / von Karajan 1963. Not much to add to that!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Since I listen to music, it was very important for me to know the sense of the lyrics. In the fogy past, when I still listened to English Rock music, it was so and today it's still the same.
                        Not to mention, in the Rock era it was often like balm, if one not understood everything.
                        Today, I'm glad to understand it easely and finally there is no other german music I could listen longer than 5 minutes... Again such an oddity!
                        And now Herr Brahms, Piano Concerto #2, Brendel brings the piano to speak.

Comment

Since you all were speaking of it earlier, and I was listening to all of the Op 50-59 works, I have arrived at the Concerto in C major for Violin, Cello & Piano & Orchestra - Op 56 - Oistrakh et al. I still maintain that this is nothing more nor less than a super Piano Trio set against the tutti of a nice orchestral piece. The Concerto Grosso reborn!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                            [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by Amalie:
                            [B]
                            I know too well Judith,

I've been chillin' out in the garden on this beautiful dreamy sunny afternoon on my day off, listening to Beethoven's Triple Concerto, and The Complete String Trios, by the Grimiaus Trio.
                            sung by, Lesley Garrett.

Now that sounds more like a life! As an interesting comparison to the Karajan I'm now listening to the version of the Triple played by the Trio Zingara and conducted, with some zest by an ex-Prime Minister, Ted Heath! Its accompanied by the Boccherini Concerto for cello and strings which is going well with a bath and a glass of wine. More of this and I might start feeling better anytime soon!

I suppose Ted Heath must be nearly ninety now, and I understand not altogether in the best of health though it is heartening to see him conducting.
                            I'm sure he was better than Boris Yeltsin who he bears a passing resemblance to. This reminds me of a very funny occasion in the mid-90's when Yeltsin went to Germany to see Kohl and on landing at the airport promptly took up the conductors baton out of the hands of a startled band master and began conducting the welcoming musicians.
                            Yeltsin conducted with great gusto and exaggerated movement, and clearly the worse for drink, was thoroughly enjoying himself.
                            I thought at the time, international politics doesn't give us many laughs. So we ought to savour that..

Talking about Yeltsin, there was an even funnier episode when he failed to emerge from his plane on landing in Ireland where the whole of the Irish Government was waiting for him at the bottom of the steps. The Russian National Anthem was struck up three times and not a movement was seen from the door of the plane. Eventually a sheepish member of his staff emerged to say that President Yeltsin was feeling rather tired from the journey and would join them all later. It transpired that Yeltsin had been on an almighty Bender drinking bottles of Vodka and was paralyitically drunk and sleeping it off in the plane. Those were the days!

Naz Darovya!.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-15-2004).]

Comment

This early morning it's again Tschaikowsk's 'Nutcracker', The Ballett Suites Op.71a. A great and uplifting start into the day. Dance little Sugar Babe!! I turn it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                                I love her!
                                Pastorali,
                                Good,I'm delighted to hear this!
                                Did you know that Haydn's wife had no ear for music and no understanding of what a great man her brilliant husband was?She was a thorn in his side for their entire married life ,what a pity.
                                Muriel

I'm listening to Mozart "Ein musikalischer Spass" K522
                                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                                X