Education, Standards and Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Well they contradict even on the basics such as the days major events as the Crucifixion happened. There is also a major problem with the chronology of King Herod and the governor Quirinius who Luke places as contemporaries when in fact they were 10 years or so apart. Nor could Herod have coincided with a Roman taxation of Judaea. These are just a few examples of many but I have no desire to go further on these issues as I respect your views and beliefs.
    Inasmuch as the Bible itself has gone through various stages of compilation and translation it is very possible and likely that much has been lost through the ages, not to mention that there are many idioms in that text that have no colloquial meaning for us today. It is often helpful to compare other translations as well as whatever contemporary texts, as well.

It's funny how threads get derailed.

Comment

Continuing an earlier point in this thread, I post this link for Peter and Bonn's delectation :
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...gy-fame-degree

I think it's time I took the bull by the horns and state quite clearly that I would like to add the title Ph.D (Gaga) after my name.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        Continuing an earlier point in this thread, I post this link for Peter and Bonn's delectation :
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...gy-fame-degree

I think it's time I took the bull by the horns and state quite clearly that I would like to add the title Ph.D (Gaga) after my name.
        That is terribly disturbing, imo. Shakespeare would be "rolling in his grave".

Philip, you are not saying you are supportive of this, are you?

What next - Lady Gaga becomes President or Prime Minister? Yes, I know she could not become Prime M., I am just making a point.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Lady Gaga for President. Vote now, or forever hold your peace.

Comment

Back to education, please do click on the following link to have an idea what subjects are considered "soft" (no, not Beckham Studies again, please!) and which "hard" (e.g. Studies in Purging Parallel Fifths).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...jects-a-levels

Comment

Back to education, please do click on the following link to have an idea what subjects are considered "soft" (no, not Beckham Studies again, please!) and which "hard" (e.g. Studies in Purging Parallel Fifths).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...jects-a-levels
              Isn't that obvious though? I'm not sure of your point!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Isn't that obvious though? I'm not sure of your point!
                No point, just reporting some news, Headmaster !!

Comment

No point, just reporting some news, Headmaster !!
                  Can't call me that - the PC brigade will be on to you, 'Head' will suffice!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very well, Headperson.

Comment

Very well, Headperson.
                      I've just noticed pupil that you give a false address in your profile unless you have moved to Toronto?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't believe it, there really exists a Cabbageville in Canada? I was playfully and literally translating the name of a fictive town in Sartre's novel La Nausée called Chouxville, the name implying some forgotten, dead-beat place in the middle of nowhere, which at times Strasbourg is. Unlike Vienna, where Beethoven lived.

("Pupil", Headperson?)
                        Last edited by Quijote; 02-10-2011, 05:12 AM. Reason: I'm in for a whipping, I fear ...

Comment

Working...
                        X