Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haydn symphonies are never absent from my listening habits for long and today it has been no.86 - I think this has a particularly fine finale. In fact listened to that last movement twice.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Would someone mind recommending a good recording of Mozart's Requiem? Many Thanks.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        He probably wouldn't appear in your lofty sphere, but he has a lot to be smug about.
        Ouch, Michael. My 'lofty sphere'? My tastes range from low-to-high brow. Don't yours, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
          Would someone mind recommending a good recording of Mozart's Requiem? Many Thanks.
          I'd go with Academy of St Martin in the Fields Chorus, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner - you want the double cd which is excellent value and includes "Coronation Mass" and the "Exsultate Jubilate" as well as the Litany K195.

Neville Marriner conducted the soundtrack for Amadeus. I also like Solti's version with the VPO. I'm not keen on Karajan's version.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I had forgotten that Marriner conducted the music for Amadeus. Thank you for your help again Peter.
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Personally, I like John Elliot Gardiner's recording of the Requiem.

Comment

Today's listening has been Vanhal's Missa Pastoralis and 2 Czerny symphonies, Nos.1 and 6.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I, too, have these symphonies by Czerny. Great music!!
                  "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                    I, too, have these symphonies by Czerny. Great music!!
                    Yes Hofrat, surprisingly fine. I only have 1 and 6, which of his symphonies do you think the best? I mean do you think the others are worth getting, and what about the piano concertos?
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Of Czerny's symphonies, I have 1, 2, 5, and 6. It is hard to choose a favorite. I also have several of his piano concerti. As I said, Czerny wrote great music. He is well worth your time and money.
                      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Elgar Cello Concerto , Op,85

Glazunov, Novelettes.
                        St. Petersburg Quartet.
                        ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Goldgerg Varations

Both Glenn Gould versions; currently the performance by Andras Schiff.

I was prompted to get the GG recordings when I turned on my car radio and I heard the Bach Gamba Sonatas. I was SURE it was GG on the piano and.... sure enough, it was! He is so good with the Bach. And so bad w/ Mozart. I don't have any of his Beethoven recordings other than the Lizst transcriptions of Symphonies 5 & 6.

All the best,
                          Zevy

Comment

In my town there is a Music Festival Weekend, May 1st. through to the 5th of May, in the Royal Pump Rooms, celebrating the Haydn Bicentenary , And Music in Vienna.
                            One of the programmes I am Looking forward to attending is a perfomance by the Henschel String Quartet from Munich, playing pieces by Beethoven , Haydn, and Schubert.

You can view the programme details,
                            http://www.leamingtonmusic.org/Festival2009.html
                            Last edited by Megan; 05-02-2009, 07:38 AM.
                            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Music Festival ..

We actually attended the above mentioned concert last night and was stunning virtuosic playing. And an exceptional brilliant performance.
                              The pieces played were;
                              Beethoven's String Quartet, in G. Opus 18.no.2.

Haydn's String Quartet in G. Opus 76,no.1

Franz Schubert's String Quartet in G, D887

Comment

This afternoon's radio , listened to Bach's Partitas and Sonatas for solo violin.
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00k4gbr

Comment

Working...
                                X