Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to the diminutive Alicia de laRocha performing Albeniz's Iberia - wonderfully evocative music played brilliantly.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
      No one seems to have mentioned that Mozart did not complete his Requiem?...
      Your point?
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        Only joking PDG. I have never heard the piece of music before,but you wanted to insist that I had.

I was just responding to your humour. Sorry to digress.
        It's okay, Megan. I was just being pedantic by trying to suggest that if you hadn't heard it before then how could you know it? Plus I'd had a few beers. I'm impressed that you don't own a TV set - I do but it's never on. And that's me digressing!...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Your point?
          Being that are you guys in awe of the unfinished Mozart score or the completed, working version, or both? Surely they are two entirely different animals. Is Schubert's Unfinished a great symphony? No, but it's still his most popular...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
            Being that are you guys in awe of the unfinished Mozart score or the completed, working version, or both? Surely they are two entirely different animals. Is Schubert's Unfinished a great symphony? No, but it's still his most popular...
            It depends which completed version you are referring to and I am certainly not familiar with them all! The traditional Süssmayr or more recent completions by Duncan Druce, Richard Maunder, Franz Beyer, H.C. Robbins Landon, Robert D. Levin.

The parts of the Requiem I most admire are pretty much those Mozart did write (especially the Sequentia) but not complete in full score up to the first few bars of the Lacrimosa. This includes the great Rex Tremendae and Confutatis maledictis.

As for Schubert's unfinished I would say that it is a great symphony and wonder why you think not?
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

2 CDs from the 1957 salzburg festival, quite different ones:

One is 100% Mozartian (kv 385 "haffner" and kv 551 "Jupiter" symphonies, as well as kv 467 piano concert),

The other iscomposed by 20th century music: Berger's Sinfonia parabolica, von Einem's Piano concert op. 20 and Honnegger's Symphonie no. 3 "Liturgique". And I find it all very, very interesting.

Comment

Tokyo String Quartet

Tonight I had the pleasure of hearing the Tokyo String Quartet performing Haydn's String Quartet in G Major, op. 76 No. 1 and Beethoven's String Quartet in C Minor, op. 18 #4, with Lynn Harrell making it a quintet for WSchubert's String Quintet in C Major, op 163. Bliss. They played with passion and joy. Strathmore Hall in Bethesda, Maryland is beautifully laid out. I've never had a bad seat there, at any price. Tonight I sat almost directly OVER the players, and it felt like I was just inches from the instruments. I loved every minute of it. Unhappily, the hall was only about 3/4 full. I can't imagine why a great concert like that isn't sold out weeks in advance.

I went to one last week that WAS sold out weeks in advance: Dudamel conducting his Venezuela Youth Orchestra at Kennedy Center. That was so much FUN! The orchestra donned Venezuela jackets for their encore, and at the end, they took off their jackets and threw them to the audience. About 180 lucky viewers caught a nice colorful jacket (not me - I was too far in the rear). But it was FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by susanwen View Post
                  I went to one last week that WAS sold out weeks in advance: Dudamel conducting his Venezuela Youth Orchestra at Kennedy Center. That was so much FUN! The orchestra donned Venezuela jackets for their encore, and at the end, they took off their jackets and threw them to the audience. About 180 lucky viewers caught a nice colorful jacket (not me - I was too far in the rear). But it was FUN!
                  Yes I saw these wonderful musicians at the proms but on tv and not live unfortunately - they really are exciting and wonderful ambassadors not only for their country but Classical music as well.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mozart is PROFOUND

I am still listening to the Requiem. Right now, the Introitus. What happened to Mozart, I do not know, but he became one of the most powerful, touching, caring, etc., individuals that has ever lived, it seems to me.

I have also been watching Amadeus, again and again. While this movie is not completely accurate, with Salieri and all, I think, that it really does a good job expressing Mozart's personality. I keep watching the scene when the care of The Magic Flute overture is played, and it shows him kissing his son. Then he flips out when the music turns faster. I also, love the scene where he is composing the, Dies Irae, and his wife keeps calling to him and he doesn't hear her at all- to lost in music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkzN...DC8D1&index=46
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Well, not physically 'listening', rather skimming through a bunch of scores trying to find an extract from Michael's 'Pop Quiz'. Damn him for testing me so... !

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        Well, not physically 'listening', rather skimming through a bunch of scores trying to find an extract from Michael's 'Pop Quiz'. Damn him for testing me so... !
                        As George Martin once said: "All You Need is Ears".

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          As George Martin once said: "All You Need is Ears".
                          Well, quite. My ears are fine (see 'pitch discrepancies' on your Pop Quiz), it's just my memory is fallible. Who's George Martin, by the way?

Comment

Who's George Martin, by the way?

Oh, my God! I hope PDG doesn't see this!

Comment

OK. But please, who is George Martin? Is he smug?

Comment

OK. But please, who is George Martin? Is he smug?
                                He probably wouldn't appear in your lofty sphere, but he has a lot to be smug about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X